Adrian Peterson Suspended for Remainder of 2014 Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrian Peterson suspended without pay for rest of 2014 season: http://www.nfl.com/n...-of-2014-season

Commissioner Roger Goodell expanded on his decision in the following letter to Peterson:

"The timing of your potential reinstatement will be based on the results of the counseling and treatment program set forth in this decision. Under this two-step approach, the precise length of the suspension will depend on your actions. We are prepared to put in place a program that can help you to succeed, but no program can succeed without your genuine and continuing engagement. You must commit yourself to your counseling and rehabilitative effort, properly care for your children, and have no further violations of law or league policy."

Absurd to me that the Justice system decided probation, 80 hours community service, and a $4000 fine fits the crime, but the almighty NFL determines that a 6 game unpaid suspension (I'm guessing 900k a game?) on top of an 9 game paid suspension, on top of therapy (or whatever), on top of probation fits the crime.

I guess it is what the masses asked for though.

Edited by What a Tuel

How does that work?

CBF

that if he didnt contest what amounted to an 9 game suspension during the investigation, he wouldnt face a fresh suspension as if it were a new incident? If they gave him that nudge, its going to be a big ol mess. given what a mess the system has been this year with gordon, and rice, and peterson..... i think we may see some re-working of the system before the next CBA. it would benefit both the players and the league the way things are going.

I've Ben saying for years - that the nfl needs a rubric for these punishments. So that they are uniformly enforced.

Instead what you have is goodell just randomly assigning punishments all willy nilly like.

Remember when lynch got a 3 or 4 game suspension for a first violation but Brandon Marshall got one game for basically the same thing - and it was his second violation? Made no sense!!

Goodell is a total joke

What a mess. IMO, he deserved significant punishment for what he did and, regardless of whether he "desperately wanted to play," nine weeks of what was essentially a paid vacation doesn't come close. Without also imposing a financial penalty, there was no punishment. I expected that he would be immediately reinstated, but retroactively docked a certain number of game checks. If that wasn't possible, I guess this was the only solution. All that being said, it's hard not to agree with the NFLPA that Goodell seems to be making it all up as he goes.

I've Ben saying for years - that the nfl needs a rubric for these punishments. So that they are uniformly enforced.

Instead what you have is goodell just randomly assigning punishments all willy nilly like.

Remember when lynch got a 3 or 4 game suspension for a first violation but Brandon Marshall got one game for basically the same thing - and it was his second violation? Made no sense!!

Goodell is a total joke

i think there is slightly more consistency than most fans think within similar incidents. i think often the inconsistencies come from not knowing the ins and outs of the incidents, player history, or rules regarding things like substances and DUI vs conduct.

for instance, here lynch had his hit and run - then an incident with drugs and a weapon

marshall had a dui (a highly standardized punishment) and a dismissed domestic violence charge (if i recall he wouldnt let his wifes cab leave during an argument) and later a traffic ticket.

both received 3 game hits but marshall got back 2 games and 1 game check on appeal.

whats the rubric to compare those? I think the gun went a long way to lynch getting more.

i think introducing more people into the process would go a long way to cleaning up the weird cases that do happen though. 2 nfl reps, 1 nflpa rep, and 1 independent source or something like that.

Edited by NoSaint

While I am disappointed that many of the fans in this thread seem to be more concerned with football than with child abuse, the NFL believes Mr. Peterson's violations warrant a longer suspension, until such time as his counseling results in a deeper understanding of his responsibilities both to the league and his children.

#1- in the new conduct policy with the nflpa, goddell will ultimately relinquish his power to initially hand out discipline. he will only get involved on appeal.

#2- this whole conduct/political correctness is driven by sponsors who are looking for squeaky clean endorsers.

which is why when it comes to endorsements, many DEAD people are out earning living folks. because deceased endorsers can no longer damage their reputations and therefore have less risk.

Absurd to me that the Justice system decided probation, 80 hours community service, and a $4000 fine fits the crime, but the almighty NFL determines that a 6 game unpaid suspension (I'm guessing 900k a game?) on top of an 9 game paid suspension, on top of therapy (or whatever), on top of probation fits the crime.

I guess it is what the masses asked for though.

Really. Hasn't this poor guy suffered enough?