Whaley a QB short and a WR too Early

patfitz

Whaley is doing a fine job. Bill Polian had his day and he didn't build a championship team in one off season. I am very satisfied with our current GM and the moves that he has made. It is time for him to step up this off season though and get rid of the HC and OC. Marrone was an up and comer at the time, but he has proven to me over the past season and a half that he is not the right answer and Hacket is just pathetic.

That is his legacy. We can do better, bring back Bill Polian we need a hall of fame GM, not a wannabe.

Polian's expiration date has come due as a GM. Although the look on his face and comment

Right after the bills took EJ was picked at 16 was good. " No I would not have taken EJ Manuel at 16"

he elaborated more but it appears his cmments are spot on.

Doubtful he has the pulse of the NFL game now. Except to give commentary on what he just like us the fan watch. But, if he was hired to evaluate QB talent in college and only that

Maybe his input could be considered by OBD. Why would a old man leave a cushy job and chance ruining his legacy? he has nothing to prove.

Mike Evans has a big game and suddenly the world has collapsed. Sammy is fine, but Kyle forgot how to be a quarterback. We've been playing some pretty good defenses lately. Factor that in with a dumb OC, a blind QB and tough defenses.

Sammy is great and will be fine once we figure out how to use him. And he's been playing hurt nearly all year.

Edited by TC in St. Louis

Mike Evans has a big game and suddenly the world has collapsed. Sammy is fine, but Kyle forgot how to be a quarterback. We've been playing some pretty good defenses lately. Factor that in with a dumb OC, a blind QB and tough defenses.

Sammy is great and will be fine once we figure out how to use him. And he's been playing hurt nearly all year.

A big game against a terrible secondary. One of the worst in the league in fact. QB's have a 65% completion and 7.6 YPA. Add to that he's usually matched up against the #2 CB.

To be fair to Evans though he has had 3 really great games in a row. It'll be interesting to see if he can carry it forward. The Bucs have Chicago coming up this week, so he could have another big game.

A big game against a terrible secondary. One of the worst in the league in fact. QB's have a 65% completion and 7.6 YPA. Add to that he's usually matched up against the #2 CB.

To be fair to Evans though he has had 3 really great games in a row. It'll be interesting to see if he can carry it forward. The Bucs have Chicago coming up this week, so he could have another big game.

Josh McCown had a great year last year now he beginning to turn it up for Tampa, especially against teams with bad secondaries. He is beginning to utilize Evans. Once we get stable at QB, Watkins and Woods will be very dynamic.

The question is, was Watkins worth a 1st and a fourth more than Evans or Beckham. Will the Bills be better with Watkins or with Evans/Beckham and another 1st rounder in the fold. Right now the answer is no and the trade was a mistake. However one season of results is not enough to really judge. My own opinion is that the trade was a mistake. That trade is only made when you have a QB in place. The Bills didn't, don't and probably won't have for the next 2-3 years. The trade may have set the Bills back 2-4 years in reaching the playoffs and very likely could cost Whaley and Marrone their jobs. Assuming Whaley still has a job it depends on what Whaley does next in attempting to procure a QB that has the possibility of being at least slightly above average during the off season. Orton and Manuel don't seem to be that QB.

The question is, was Watkins worth a 1st and a fourth more than Evans or Beckham. Will the Bills be better with Watkins or with Evans/Beckham and another 1st rounder in the fold. Right now the answer is no and the trade was a mistake. However one season of results is not enough to really judge. My own opinion is that the trade was a mistake. That trade is only made when you have a QB in place. The Bills didn't, don't and probably won't have for the next 2-3 years. The trade may have set the Bills back 2-4 years in reaching the playoffs and very likely could cost Whaley and Marrone their jobs. Assuming Whaley still has a job it depends on what Whaley does next in attempting to procure a QB that has the possibility of being at least slightly above average during the off season. Orton and Manuel don't seem to be that QB.

The thinking was that EJ was the QB they wanted, so they figured their QB was in place and they were trying to give him a solid weapon to exploit. The first assumption proved wrong, so maybe in hindsight it is the wrong move, but at the time it made perfect sense. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20 and there are no do overs. You have to go with your best analysis at the time and you don't get to wait 6 months to make the decision. Edited by xsoldier54

I understand your viewpoint but I don't see teams game planning on defense for Beckham or Evans like some have done for Watkins. That in itself tells me how the professional coaching ranks view Watkins ability.

And I also don't think we can conclude the trade was a mistake. It's one possible conclusion but all the information is not available yet. Does surrendering a #1 choice in 2015 really put this program back 2-4 years? Why? Because that pick could have been used on a franchise QB? Unless the Bills go down the drain here and finish 5-11 I think its a misconception that some sure thing QB is going to be there sitting and waiting to be picked in that draft slot.

Who will be available at that draft slot when the pick's on the clock? We don't know yet but I'll wager no QB identified as a sure thing franchise QB will be there in round 1 when the Bills to Cleveland pick is up. Right now Mariota is the only QB worthy of top 5 consideration and it's certainly possible the prospects of other QB can improve before the draft. But he'll be off the board way before that pick is on the clock. At this point the Raiders control the board with the #1 slot and and given their record they look like a 'lock' for the top pick. The next guy up might be Winston if he declares but there's all kinds of red flags and lights flashing there.

Maybe the Browns get a great player with that pick. And if they do so be it, that's the price of the deal. The Bills got a great player in Watkins. You can't get something for nothing.

The mistake was not trading up for Watkins and giving up the 2015 #1. The mistake was believing EJ was the long term solution to the Bills QB problems based on his potential and his performance on the field to that point. And from the 'eye test' I do not understand how the teams front office and coaching staff, football professionals and talent evaluators, could have reached that conclusion based on his performance and what I saw as a lack of improvement over time. I certainly didn't see it but a lot of times it's just human nature that the fathers of a plan refuse to see their child (the plan) is not working out.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

That is his legacy. We can do better, bring back Bill Polian we need a hall of fame GM, not a wannabe.

so I guess you missed the other Whaley thread?

What legacy? You act like he has been GM for ten years when in fact he is in his first full year as GM