Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

I agree with him on this outside consultant. Sounds like poppycock to me. When the Saints, for example, were a complete mess did they hire an outside consultant? Or did they just focus on finding the right coach and the right Quarterback?

Well, all I think a consultant means is that he wants to bring in some completely independent, experienced football minds to get a good understanding of how things are done in the NFL, and some thoughts on what's working, organizationally, and what's not. Makes a ton of sense in my mind.

Edited by dubs

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if he wants experienced football minds and he thinks he can pick someone who fits the bill sack the GM and the Coach and hire these "experienced football minds" rather than paying them to espouse their opinions without putting their necks on the line because with the greatest of respect, anyone can do that.

I agree with him on this outside consultant. Sounds like poppycock to me. When the Saints, for example, were a complete mess did they hire an outside consultant? Or did they just focus on finding the right coach and the right Quarterback?

The current New Orleans Saints GM Mickey Loomis has been with the team since 2000 as director of football operations, and became their GM in 2002. Somewhere along the way between 2002-2006 he was promoted, and named vice president of football operations. Just recently he signed a new contract to keep him with the team thru 2017. The HC when he was hired was Jim Haslett, and their OC was Mike McCarthy. In 2005 the Saints went 3-13 and Loomis fired Haslett. He then proceeded to hire Sean Payton in 2006, and that same year acquired Drew Brees. Loomis was named executive of the year in 2006

In 2006 the OC that year was Doug Marrone, and Payton called the game day plays. Marrone stayed at NO for three years as OC, and his last season they finished #1 in points, and #1 in yards. The very next year with Pete Carmichael as OC they win the super bowl, and are #1 again in both yards & points.

The fact that the Saints were so good on offense during Marrone's time in NO is probably a big reason as to why he was given so much consideration for the head coaching job in Buffalo. Now looking at things it leads me to believe that it was all Sean Payton game planning, setting up the offense, and calling game day plays, and of course Drew Brees at QB.

You would think that the three years that Marrone spent helping Payton run that Saints offense he would have picked up quite a bit of Payton's ingenuity in designing both new passing, and running schemes. Clearly that isn't the case at all because the Buffalo Bills look nothing like the Saints in running the ball or passing it.

So Mickey Loomis looks very much like a Bill Polian clone, and the Saints owner is smart enough to not fire the guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like the new Bills owners know very little on how to build a winning NFL team, or even how the football operations side even works. It has been stated they will hire a highly experienced NFL outside consultant to advise the Pegula's on how to proceed to building their team properly.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749471/pegulas-looking-to-bring-on-a-consultant-to-help-with-bills-transition

From there I would think that they will suggest hiring an experienced president of football operations who current GM Doug Whaley will answer to. Like the Baltimore Ravens have in Ozzie Newsome. (Thus keeping current CEO Kim Pegula & president Russ Brandon on the financial side).

After that I suppose the team will take whichever direction the new president wants it to take.

Like I said, I'm very much looking forward to next years changes, as I don't see the same stupid mistakes being made next season that have plagued the franchise for the last 14 years.

The current New Orleans Saints GM Mickey Loomis has been with the team since 2000 as director of football operations, and became their GM in 2002. Somewhere along the way between 2002-2006 he was promoted, and named vice president of football operations. Just recently he signed a new contract to keep him with the team thru 2017. The HC when he was hired was Jim Haslett, and their OC was Mike McCarthy. In 2005 the Saints went 3-13 and Loomis fired Haslett. He then proceeded to hire Sean Payton in 2006, and that same year acquired Drew Brees. Loomis was named executive of the year in 2006

In 2006 the OC that year was Doug Marrone, and Payton called the game day plays. Marrone stayed at NO for three years as OC, and his last season they finished #1 in points, and #1 in yards. The very next year with Pete Carmichael as OC they win the super bowl, and are #1 again in both yards & points.

The fact that the Saints were so good on offense during Marrone's time in NO is probably a big reason as to why he was given so much consideration for the head coaching job in Buffalo. Now looking at things it leads me to believe that it was all Sean Payton game planning, setting up the offense, and calling game day plays, and of course Drew Brees at QB.

You would think that the three years that Marrone spent helping Payton run that Saints offense he would have picked up quite a bit of Payton's ingenuity in designing both new passing, and running schemes. Clearly that isn't the case at all because the Buffalo Bills look nothing like the Saints in running the ball or passing it.

So Mickey Loomis looks very much like a Bill Polian clone, and the Saints owner is smart enough to not fire the guy.

Payton is responsible for the offense in NOLA (and Brees).

In terms of Loomis he is interesting because his background is as a financial guy. He's about as far from "a football guy" as you will find. He's more of a basketball guy (self-proclaimed). He holds the same role with the Pelicans. He doesn't hold these positions because of his keen scouting eye but his ability to run the department.

Loomis and Lausha (Saints & Pelicans president) have a ton of respect from Benson. Personally, I think that Lausha is bad (his staff is really weak) and Loomis is just okay. He is a cap wizard that has taken some aggressive steps to get 1 more Super Bowl out of the Brees era. It doesn't look likely. Once that ends they will take huge steps back IMO.

The reality is that New Orleans has made this run with a HOF QB and likely a HOF coach. Everyone would love to follow that model but it's not easy.

In terms of Loomis he is interesting because his background is as a financial guy. He's about as far from "a football guy" as you will find. He's more of a basketball guy (self-proclaimed). He holds the same role with the Pelicans. He doesn't hold these positions because of his keen scouting eye but his ability to run the department.

Loomis and Lausha (Saints & Pelicans president) have a ton of respect from Benson. Personally, I think that Lausha is bad (his staff is really weak) and Loomis is just okay. He is a cap wizard that has taken some aggressive steps to get 1 more Super Bowl out of the Brees era. It doesn't look likely. Once that ends they will take huge steps back IMO.

The reality is that New Orleans has made this run with a HOF QB and likely a HOF coach. Everyone would love to follow that model but it's not easy.

This 100%. Having a franchise QB masks SOOO many other shortcomings and basically will get you into the playoffs every year. He will win you games on his own arm. I think Sean Payton is a heckuva coach, but one could argue he didn't become who he was until he had one Drew Brees as his QB.

We get ourselves a franchise QB and we WILL see this franchise turned around.....

This 100%. Having a franchise QB masks SOOO many other shortcomings and basically will get you into the playoffs every year. He will win you games on his own arm. I think Sean Payton is a heckuva coach, but one could argue he didn't become who he was until he had one Drew Brees as his QB.

We get ourselves a franchise QB and we WILL see this franchise turned around.....

In terms of Payton they were a completely different team when he was suspended. That's why he's the highest paid coach in the league. It really is the combination of those 2 that make things tick.

I totally disagree with being about as far from a football guy as you will find. In fact I think he is just exceptionally intelligent in all aspects. He did graduate with a degree in accounting, and earned a maters in sports administration.

Before working for the Saints he did work for the Seattle Seahawks for 15 years and was first hired in 1983, and was promoted to vice president of fiance in 1990, and then executive vice president in 1992. Basically this means he started as business manager for the team, and then became vice president of finance to executive vice president which is a pretty great achievement in itself.

From what I can gather he took off 1999, and then in 2000 became the New Orleans Saints "director of football operations". This meant in this job, he dealt with contract negotiations, salary cap stuff, and was coordinator of the teams "football operations". Then in 2002 after then GM Randy Mueller was fired Loomis was hired as general manager of football operations, and then bumped up to executive VP of the team later that year. His responsibilities now also encompassing coaching, player personnel and scouting, athletic training, equipment, video and communications.

Like I said, a Bill Polian clone.

The reality is that Loomis was a key figure in hiring Sean Payton as his first, and only HC hire for the Saints. Then it has been noted that Loomis lured Drew Bress to New Orleans.

http://investing.bus...vcapId=39363539

The man just happens to be brilliant at just about everything he touches, including the draft. Certainly the team drafted better, and acquired better personnel once Sean Peyton was hired and this is a big reason as to why I've been promoting both Harbaugh & Cowher so much. Hiring the right HC to help the GM select his players for the schemes he wants to run is a crucial part of the process. The team went from 3-13 with Jim Haslett as HC to 10-6 with Sean Peyton as HC, and you almost know the first year if you made the right decision for the HC hire.

When you hire losers like Jauron, Gailey, Marrone who either aren't good enough to ever be an NFL HC or aren't ready yet, it hurts the team in many facets. Its why I've been campaigning so hard for hiring someone who knows NFL player talent, and can evaluate talent for every position, Including QB. Which is why Harbaugh was my first choice, Cowher was my second.

** on a side note it must really irk Cowboys owner Jerry Jones that Sean Payton was an assistant HC / QB coach right under his nose.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I totally disagree with being about as far from a football guy as you will find. In fact I think he is just exceptionally intelligent in all aspects. He did graduate with a degree in accounting, and earned a maters in sports administration.

Before working for the Saints he did work for the Seattle Seahawks for 15 years and was first hired in 1983, and was promoted to vice president of fiance in 1990, and then executive vice president in 1992. Basically this means he started as business manager for the team, and then became vice president of finance to executive vice president which is a pretty great achievement in itself.

From what I can gather he took off 1999, and then in 2000 became the New Orleans Saints "director of football operations". This meant in this job, he dealt with contract negotiations, salary cap stuff, and was coordinator of the teams "football operations". Then in 2002 after then GM Randy Mueller was fired Loomis was hired as general manager of football operations, and then bumped up to executive VP of the team later that year. His responsibilities now also encompassing coaching, player personnel and scouting, athletic training, equipment, video and communications.

Like I said, a Bill Polian clone.

The reality is that Loomis was a key figure in hiring Sean Payton as his first, and only HC hire for the Saints. Then it has been noted that Loomis lured Drew Bress to New Orleans.

http://investing.bus...vcapId=39363539

The man just happens to be brilliant at just about everything he touches, including the draft. Certainly the team drafted better, and acquired better personnel once Sean Peyton was hired and this is a big reason as to why I've been promoting both Harbaugh & Cowher so much. Hiring the right HC to help the GM select his players for the schemes he wants to run is a crucial part of the process. The team went from 3-13 with Jim Haslett as HC to 10-6 with Sean Peyton as HC, and you almost know the first year if you made the right decision for the HC hire.

When you hire losers like Jauron, Gailey, Marrone who either aren't good enough to ever be an NFL HC or aren't ready yet, it hurts the team in many facets. Its why I've been campaigning so hard for hiring someone who knows NFL player talent, and can evaluate talent for every position, Including QB. Which is why Harbaugh was my first choice, Cowher was my second.

** on a side note it must really irk Cowboys owner Jerry Jones that Sean Payton was an assistant HC / QB coach right under his nose.

I worked with him and his staff. He isn't a football guy despite his experience. Mickey would be the 1st to tell you that. He is a numbers guy with a strong scouting staff.

I am fine with bringing in a consultant but he is a terrible example of what it seems people want. He is way, way, way, way closer to Russ Brandon in terms of skillset than to Ozzie Newsome.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I worked with him and his staff. He isn't a football guy despite his experience. He is a numbers guy with a strong scouting staff. I am fine with bringing in a consultant but he is a terrible example of what it seems people want. He is way, way, way, way closer to Russ Brandon in terms of skillset than to Ozzie Newsome.

That might be the way he is perceived by you, but from my looking at his first HC hire in Sean Payton vs what Brandon has been part of in Buffalo. I'd have to say its the exact opposite, and Loomis is closer to a Newsome. Brandon might have come from a financial background, but he was also from more a baseball background previous to Buffalo. Whereas Loomis has been in pro football all his professional career.

The hiring of Sean Payton from his job as Cowboys QB coach, assistant HC was sheer brilliance, and a very bold move. The man had to know something about who he was going to hire as his HC. Who does that btw, and what team has ever done that in the past to hire a mere QB coach and promote him to HC. None that I can think of offhand, and simply amazing!

That might be the way he is perceived by you, but from my looking at his first HC hire in Sean Payton vs what Brandon has been part of in Buffalo. I'd have to say its the exact opposite, and Loomis is closer to a Newsome. Brandon might have come from a financial background, but he was also from more a baseball background previous to Buffalo. Whereas Loomis has been in pro football all his professional career.

The hiring of Sean Payton from his job as Cowboys QB coach, assistant HC was sheer brilliance, and a very bold move. The man had to know something about who he was going to hire as his HC. Who does that btw, and what team has ever done that in the past to hire a mere QB coach and promote him to HC. None that I can think of offhand, and simply amazing!

Payton was a very hot candidate back then. I believe that the Bills tried to interview him for one. He was the young offensive guru from the Parcells tree. He wasn't some out of nowhere find.

I don't know how else to say it but I promise that Loomis isn't really a football guy. He doesn't even perceive himself as such. He runs both organizations as if he were a CEO not a GM. He crunches numbers and signs off on decisions but he is NOT the person eyeballing the talent. He is a trusted advisor to Benson.

His greatest talent may be his ability to keep that organization under control. Sean Payton (and Drew Brees) have both had major, major personal scandals that never saw the light of day. Payton's skeletons kind of got out locally but it isn't widespread. Brees' issues aren't even known here. I'm sure that someone will accuse me of spreading unsubstantiated rumors but people can choose to believe it or not.

Loomis has had success in his role but is not the football guy. There are lots of ways to have success in sports. The most talented executive that I worked for was from the food industry. It seems like everyone on TBD is hellbent on a "football guy." If that is the case he is not a good example at all. Someone like Polian would be a much better fit.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Payton was a very hot candidate back then. I believe that the Bills tried to interview him for one. He was the young offensive guru from the Parcells tree. He wasn't some out of nowhere find.

I don't know how else to say it but I promise that Loomis isn't really a football guy. He doesn't even perceive himself as such. He runs both organizations as if he were a CEO not a GM. He crunches numbers and signs off on decisions but he is NOT the person eyeballing the talent. He is a trusted advisor to Benson.

His greatest talent may be his ability to keep that organization under control. Sean Payton (and Drew Brees) have both had major, major personal scandals that never saw the light of day. Payton's skeletons kind of got out locally but it isn't widespread. Brees' issues aren't even known here. I'm sure that someone will accuse me of spreading unsubstantiated rumors but people can choose to believe it or not.

Loomis has had success in his role but is not the football guy. There are lots of ways to have success in sports. The most talented executive that I worked for was from the food industry. It seems like everyone on TBD is hellbent on a "football guy." If that is the case he is not a good example at all. Someone like Polian would be a much better fit.

That 2006 NFL executive of the year award wasn't just for the financial side. I just happen to think the man has a magical, golden touch at whatever he does, and not a lot of people can say that.

Well, all I can say if Loomis isn't the guy eyeballing the talent then who is? Do you know? Buffalo really, really needs to 1000% hire that guy.

The Bills should also try and hire Saints HC Sean Payton as he might just be available after this season, as his teams current 4-6 record might get him on a hot seat. :D Then again they are atop their division :blink:

Edited by FeartheLosing

That 2006 NFL executive of the year award wasn't just for the financial side. I just happen to think the man has a magical, golden touch at whatever he does, and not a lot of people can say that.

Well, all I can say if Loomis isn't the guy eyeballing the talent then who is? Do you know? Buffalo really, really needs to 1000% hire that guy.

The Bills should also try and hire Saints HC Sean Payton as he might just be available after this season, as his teams current 4-6 record might get him on a hot seat. :D Then again they are atop their division :blink:

I agree that he has had success. He just isn't a football guy per se. As I said earlier a lot of the best executives in sports aren't former player/scouting types. It is people with experience as executives more so than football. In reality they are running a business that happens to be a football team or a basketball team or whatever. Their assets happen to be players (also their largest liabilities which is why the model is so interesting). It seems that what people want is a "football guy" to see if the "football guys" there know football. There are those guys out there but we can't just scroll through guys that have been successful and say that all of them would fill that role. It is a particular skillset that people are seeking and it isn't Loomis'.

They have turned out a ton of talented people (one of who is on our staff in Jim Monos). Ryan Pace is another. There was a guy around 2007-2008ish that I can't think of his name but he has a big job somewhere else now (maybe the Giants). If you are looking for a young up and comer from that tree Jason Mitchell may be that guy (and a guy that you could get). He wouldn't be your GM but would be an asset to your football ops team.

Payton is bulletproof. Belicheck is as likely to be available as Payton. He will be here for as long as he wants. He already is the highest paid coach in the league. The only job that he may ever consider is the GM & HC of the Cowboys. His family is there (don't know what kind of terms they are on).

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, I had no idea Jim Harbaugh felt this way about the Raiders / Al Davis, and his first pro coaching job was with Oakland. After reading this article I highly doubt Harbaugh goes anywhere this year or next besides Oakland. Unless of course Oakland doesn't make a competitive financial offer.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_27045893/exclusive-49ers-jim-harbaugh-talks-about-raiders-roots

From the looks of the poll enough have voted a positive for Marrone to get another year to show what he can do. I only hope Whaley makes him fire Hackett, and his O line coach.

From the looks of the poll enough have voted a positive for Marrone to get another year to show what he can do. I only hope Whaley makes him fire Hackett, and his O line coach.

85+% of the fans want him gone. That number seems about right. Let's hope Pegula isn't in the 15%

Welp, I had no idea Jim Harbaugh felt this way about the Raiders / Al Davis, and his first pro coaching job was with Oakland. After reading this article I highly doubt Harbaugh goes anywhere this year or next besides Oakland. Unless of course Oakland doesn't make a competitive financial offer.

http://www.mercuryne...t-raiders-roots

I'm down for another year of St. Doug. I've always maintained that he should be given a full three seasons based on the state of the roster when he took over the team. 7 wins this year with 4 games to play is a step forward. It's not the playoff birth many hoped/expected (yet) at the start of the season, but no one expected the AFC to be so competitive either.

Whaley and St. Doug need to sit down and have a come to Jeebus meeting where they get on the same page. It's clear to me that Whaley built this team with a different idea in mind than what St. Doug had. It's clear from the game day inactive lists and suspect offensive groupings that these two have some differences they need to figure out. Hackett answers to St. Doug, it's his offense and Nate is his protege -- meaning I don't think Hackett goes in the off season unless Doug does. And frankly, I don't think turning over the staff (again) is the way to build a new mentality and culture within the organization. I think it's a step back -- even if Hackett stays.

I think that way because we forget how young Hackett actually is. I don't like the way he's deploying the offense most times, but even I have to admit he's called some very good games this year -- with two very different QBs starting under center. I don't want to make excuses for Hackett because this is a Big Boy league, but I do think that he has the potential to grow into the role. It's going to take Hackett doing some self reflection in the off season and, most importantly, getting on the same page with the front office personnel wise, but it's possible.

That's my take at least.

Edited by GreggyT