Server Discussion

stevestojan

Scott pays money to keep this site running. But lately, during games, it doesn't hold up. He has zero reason to keep this site going other than to keep this distinctional group of fans in one spot. During games, the site crawls. So let me be the first to offer up $200.

Who will come together and help?

You know you use this site daily and server space isn't free.

Starting at 200. Every penny counts.

Who's in?

I am willing to contribute. It will have to wait til payday though, you see my checking account is linked to my savings account, and then that account is.... :D

Seriously though, I love this site. I will contribute something just because..

I say get a new host, possibly new board software and setup a donate button. Donate could be via PayPal. I'll donate. The site performance really is horrible. Def need a new host though.

I agree with this approach as it's how another board I belong to handles it and seems to work well enough to where they don't even need ads on the site.

There is def something going on though as the performance has really dropped last few months

Bandwidth isn't the issue. The size of the database is. There are two true ways to deal with this.

1. Buy another license to offload 3 million posts.

2. Get a cloud server (I am sort of out of my league here) so that when we need more hardware additional resources can be used for that event. This should be more efficient since we only need those resources less than 100 hours a year. But it is difficult for me to price that out because of the way it is done.

Bandwidth isn't the issue. The size of the database is. There are two true ways to deal with this.

1. Buy another license to offload 3 million posts.

2. Get a cloud server (I am sort of out of my league here) so that when we need more hardware additional resources can be used for that event. This should be more efficient since we only need those resources less than 100 hours a year. But it is difficult for me to price that out because of the way it is done.

I think there a lot of folks around here who would pony up on a subscription basis to keep things running smoothly. And hey, if you charged a subscription for such things as posting rights some of the riff raff might even disappear.

But in the first case I don't know how that really can be done because you'd have to synchronize certain parts of the database so that user names etc. were functional. In fact the more I think about it I doubt it could be done.