inspirational quotes from coach marrone

BackInDaDay

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years this board cried when Dickie J or Gailey wouldn't show emotion on the sidelines. Now this guy has flipped out on his players the refs and is by most accounts a real hard ass. He has this team, with no QB, running back or offensive line in the middle of a playoff hunt.

He clearly has the respect of people in the league. The people that want to come coach for him are evidence of that. Pepper Johnson, Schwartz, Hostler, all these guys could have gone anywhere and choose to come work for Marrone.

Marrone is the best coach we have had here this century and its not even close.

But go ahead and flame away, run another coach out of town, wash rinse repeat.

The truth. His qb hits a couple passes this past Sunday and we're all jimmy crack corn at 6-3.

i get what your saying, but he reacts like he has no control over the situation - like a frustrated fan.

a head coach should delegate, not abdicate.

Just consider this blurbs are not likely how he speaks to his staff or players in his house at 1BD.

He is known for being a bit feisty and kind of a prick when the mics and cameras are taken away.

no link. but its true.

ask Jerry Hughes and Mike Williams and Marcell Dareus and Robert Woods

Something about Marrone not firing himself yet.

fire the Bum !

for not firing himself already.

Where the hell is Littman !

The truth. His qb hits a couple passes this past Sunday and we're all jimmy crack corn at 6-3.

Is this code for a drug deal going down ? Edited by 3rdand12

Just consider this blurbs are not likely how he speaks to his staff or players in his house at 1BD.

these weren't remarks at a post game press conference - this is what he was expressing on the sideline, during a game still very much in question, for anyone - player or coach - to hear. maybe it needs to be seen to be appreciated - but he actually looked like he was feeling sorry for himself. i couldn't even make out what he said after the Loedis fumble, as he was mumbling by then.. AND HIS TEAM STILL HAD THE LEAD!

i was just very suprised to see our coach acting like a bewildered passenger on a runaway train.. i really thought he had more salt that that.

if someone else saw the segment and didn't get that vibe - GOOD! because than maybe it's just my perception, and it won't be the first time i'm wrong,

these weren't remarks at a post game press conference - this is what he was expressing on the sideline, during a game still very much in question, for anyone - player or coach - to hear. maybe it needs to be seen to be appreciated - but he actually looked like he was feeling sorry for himself. i couldn't even make out what he said after the Loedis fumble, as he was mumbling by then.. AND HIS TEAM STILL HAD THE LEAD!

i was just very suprised to see our coach acting like a bewildered passenger on a runaway train.. i really thought he had more salt that that.

if someone else saw the segment and didn't get that vibe - GOOD! because than maybe it's just my perception, and it won't be the first time i'm wrong,

Talk about an overreacting. There's not a way he could have reacted that would have pleased the masses. In the famous words of Smokin Jay

jay-cutler-doesnt-care.png

Thanks for clarifying ! I must have glossed over that somehow.

Thats a concern.

I have had the perception he was quiet on the sidelines. What little i have gathered from the TV , i thought he lets his assistants do the drama .

Definitely have seen pouting looks though. and mumbling !

There are lots of reasons to want to fire the guy (and to dislike him), but I'm not sure this stuff adds to the overall picture very much. I bet if you miked up Philbin during the game you'd hear a lot of boring, white-sock-wearing, Walmart-shopping, red-state-sounding gobbledygook. Pete Carroll probably sounds like a coked up teenage girl during the games. I don't know, this is really reaching.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Really don't know where people get off saying this. The guy's put in his time, worked in a variety of positions with different teams, at different levels of the sport. He has had multiple coaching legends voice their confidence in his ability to become a great coach and turn around Buffalo. Even the great Belicheck had to get his lumps in Cleveland. You don't step in day one at your first NFL coaching job and become great. It generally takes years, possibly several different teams and multiple demotions. I'm really reserving judgment on Marrone because it's only his second year as an NFL head coach. He was, and remains, a solid option.

NFL HC's are definitely a select group, but if you don't win, you don't survive. And Marrone is a career 11-14 guy who's supposed to make the playoffs with this improved roster.

I'm still not seeing what Marrone has proven in these 25 games besides being a conservative coach that isn't the innovative type promised to the fans. Said Marrone at his intro PC in January 2013: ""We want to be innovative," he said. "We want to be on the cutting edge." Buffalo is most assuredly neither of those things.

It's a myth to think, with a new owner on board, that this HC deserves more than 2 seasons. Some coaches aren't even getting that anymore, especially when new owners and GM's enter the picture. If Marrone doesn't get this team to at least 9-7 he's probably getting the ax.

Edited by BillsVet

I liked his comments. Showed me he isn't delusional and he knows what the problems are.

One thing that is interesting-- I think us fans that have followed this team longer than the staff know a lot more important back story and context on the team. For example, any fan would know you would not want mckelvin back returning punts late in the 4th when the game is on the line. This staff apparently has no idea of his history for making some bad mistakes on ST.

To reiterate what I, as well as many others in here, have been saying since DM was hired: He is in way over his head, and he really has no business being an NFL coach.

Tonight will tell if you're right.

Recent Bills teams fail miserably in this situation. We are supposed to lose tonight. There's no other expectation. The world expects us to hang in there for a while-- then die.

Marone must find a way to avoid this.

For years this board cried when Dickie J or Gailey wouldn't show emotion on the sidelines. Now this guy has flipped out on his players the refs and is by most accounts a real hard ass. He has this team, with no QB, running back or offensive line in the middle of a playoff hunt.

He clearly has the respect of people in the league. The people that want to come coach for him are evidence of that. Pepper Johnson, Schwartz, Hostler, all these guys could have gone anywhere and choose to come work for Marrone.

Marrone is the best coach we have had here this century and its not even close.

But go ahead and flame away, run another coach out of town, wash rinse repeat.

great post, couldnt agree more

i dont worship Doug and also question some things he does/doesnt do/says/doesnt say

but the bottom line is this team has been in position to win almost every game this year (Not the Pats, and the chargers I could go either way on) and its come down to almost 100 percent player execution....he gets a pass for last season because it was year 1 in the system for players and year 1 for the coaching staff to turn around a down trodden, hang your heads franchise....this year is the improvement year and hopefully show us the baby....year three is where I expect playoffs and continued success (not that that cannot begin this year) - but some people are freaking unrealistic and unbelievable

thanks again for that post

Tonight will tell if you're right.

Recent Bills teams fail miserably in this situation. We are supposed to lose tonight. There's no other expectation. The world expects us to hang in there for a while-- then die.

Marone must find a way to avoid this.

This is the only explanation for the +5.5 line. They also expected us to lose at NY. I don't think the players expect to lose, they expect to win. And they aren't hanging their heads after the narrow loss on Sunday, they are flat pissed.

don't know how many of you saw last night's Inside the NFL, but when our KC segment was over, i couldn't help getting the feeling that our head coach responds more like a sulking fan on a message board than someone in a position to impact the game.

fyi - it's hard to tell exactly when these were uttered - because the show's editor had a job to do - but here are a few of his more pessimistic remarks captured during the game - directed at no one in particular:

• after the Brown fumble - "that's a touchdown.. that's not like it's not a touchdown.. that's a touchdown"
  • sometime after that - "we should be up by a helluva lot more than this"
  • after the Charles TD - "4th and 1.. unbelievable"
  • toward the end - "we had opportunities"

i'd rather hear him screaming, "they're killin' me Whitey! they're killin' me!" - than this sad sack crap.

jeez, coach.. if you're disappointed with how your team's playing - get engaged, when it counts - or buy a ticket!

Marv Levy's best quotes were great. But if you cherry picked his most mundane or defeatist sound bites, you'd get a different impression.

I don't think you can judge Marrone's overall impact as a leader by a couple of short clips.

I hated Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys, but I always remember one post-game quote from him that demonstrated the difference between a Marrone and a coach with status and, well, "gravitas." One of his backup RBs fumbled and Johnson chewed him out on the sidelines. After the game the reporters asked what he'd said to the RB. Johnson: "I told him that if he fumbles again I'm gonna cut him." Can you do that when you're a second-year coach who's accomplished nothing (yet)? Probably not, so it's not all Marrone's fault that he comes off as weak. But maybe that's why we do need a coach with status and gravitas? (We just need to convince that guy to come to beautiful Buffalo...)

i like him more after seeing that bit last night. he seemed down to earth and heavily, emotionally invested in the team (as he obviously should be).

marrone's biggest problem in my eyes is that he is not chip kelly, pete carroll or even mike pettine.