How would YOU defend Travis Kelce (or fill in the blank TE)

YoloinOhio

I know there are a lot of posters who are good with the x's and o's. Kelce is a matchup nightmare, as was/is Gronk, Marctellus Bennett, Charles Clay, etc etc. Aaron Williams is healthy per Joe B today on WGR,which hopefully takes Duke Williams out of the equation. But I worry about Preston Brown 1:1 in TE coverage and that matchup seems to present itself. Again, I think this is the player we need to worry about the most. Smith throws to him often, and I feel OK about our run D with Charles. D'Norris Searcy? Corey Graham? If we do what we did against Gronk we will be toast and Kelce is a Gronk clone, IMO. Interestingly, KC doesn't play him as many snaps as one would expect though that could change this week. Put yourself in Schwartzy's shoes. I am interested in hearing your strategy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit off topic and too late for anyone to know / care but I go to the University of Cincinnati and watched Travis Kelce play every game. I was completely hoping we would have filled our tight end void with him. I knew coming out of college he was going to be something special.

That being said, I would try to mix up coverages on them. You can't have somebody short on them such as Nickell Robey or Duke. Ideally you could have Kiko out there which we know isn't a possibility. Aaron Williams would probably be your best bet since he came out as a true coverage corner and is now a safety. So you either play a lot of nickel and dime packages and have Graham or Williams on him or in your base defense try to put a linebacker on him that can cover. Which we don't have at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

We all know Spikes' situation. Bradham is normally the Sam and not very well known for his coverage skills and Preston can cover backs but I don't really think he is up for the task of a tall, athletic tight end such as Gronk or Kelce. We all saw what happens when we put McKelvin on Gronk and we all know what happens when we play zone and don't pressure the quarterback. The tall tight ends will find the empty spaces and good quarterbacks like Brady will find them every time.

So that would be my strategy in a nutshell. My nickel corner or 4th corner in dime would man cover him, and depending on how many receivers they have in the formation I might have my free safety shadow them over the top as well. We had Brady throw a few picks in the past doing that. I remember a George Wilson pick of Brady throwing to Gronk in the endzone by shadowing the TE having man coverage. As far as KC specifically, none of their wide receivers scare me. We need to cover up Kelce more than anything. and Jamal Charles coming out of the backfield is a matchup nightmare too by the way.

Considering they have no other serious WR threats the Bills should be able to zero in on Kelce. They can blanket him with a couple guys at all times, and since Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady he's not going to be able to thread the needle to Kelce like Brady does to Gronk. If assigned correctly the Bills should be able to get at least one INT on a pass intended for Kelce.

I think that utilizing the Wide 9 could help quite a bit. The DE on his side can bang him as he releases off the line and force him away from his initial route stem. I also think that using Aaron Williams to match him on the underneath side of his routes would be a good idea.

Schwartz hasn't done it yet this year, but I happen to think that using Manny Lawson in spot duty as a LB over the TE could also be a good strategy, as he has the size and speed to match up with a guy like Kelce. Plus, I think it'd be a defensive strategy that KC would never see coming.

I think that utilizing the Wide 9 could help quite a bit. The DE on his side can bang him as he releases off the line and force him away from his initial route stem. I also think that using Aaron Williams to match him on the underneath side of his routes would be a good idea.

Schwartz hasn't done it yet this year, but I happen to think that using Manny Lawson in spot duty as a LB over the TE could also be a good strategy, as he has the size and speed to match up with a guy like Kelce. Plus, I think it'd be a defensive strategy that KC would never see coming.

Manny is very good in coverage... more time for Manny this week would make sense. Alex Smith gets rid of the ball really quickly ..which means our DE's most likely won't have a lot of shots at him.. which sort of negates Jerry Hughes and Mario's effectiveness... so put in Manny Lawson on passing downs lined up over the TE ... rush 3 .. and flood the short zones on passing downs.

At first, I thought to put an arrow to the knee. But, instead, I think a cover 3 system, keep the FS floating to the coverage. They will not have to worry about deep coverage, with cover 3 we let the D play to what is in front of them and keep the game in front of our deep man - the FS.

With a base D in cover 3 we can let the FS spy on the backfield, the SS cover the middle in a hard zone where Kelce is going to be most active. Keeping an OLB on him might not be necessary since we will have to invest in covering Jamaal Charles, as well. I would rather use an LB on Charles and the SS on Kelce.

I worry that Schwartz may be too aggressive for this quick to pick up the small yard offense. The dink and dunk could pluck away at our D, and going no huddle may tire us quickly and keep us from subbing. I worry that they commit to aggressive running early which wears our legs out down the stretch.

Because of this I want to see full rotations of our DL. Similar to the last few games where we had the entire B unit in, I want to continue that. I want to keep Spikes in and at times go to a hybrid 44 D.

A 44D...

X - KWilliams - Dareus - Hughes

X - Spikes - Brown - Bradham

Gilmore - A-Arron - McKelvin

The X's would be Mario Williams and Manny Lawson playing up and down mixed all over the place with Lawson focused on the RB. Mario can be pulled out and replaced with just Lawson, then put in an extra cover guy in.

Keep Charles and Kelce in front of us, get our hands up and limit Smith and we'll win this. Smith already cuts his field down to anything under 15 yards of the LOS. Get our hands up and get to the ball.

hey people like lists and bullet point talking blurps:

Keys to the D's claiming the W

• Account for Charles every play
  • The DL must disrupt the throwing lanes and get their hands up.
  • Get to the ball and eliminate YAC.
  • Don't bend. They're not going to break us, they don't have the offense. Simply don't bend.

At first, I thought to put an arrow to the knee. But, instead, I think a cover 3 system, keep the FS floating to the coverage. They will not have to worry about deep coverage, with cover 3 we let the D play to what is in front of them and keep the game in front of our deep man - the FS.

With a base D in cover 3 we can let the FS spy on the backfield, the SS cover the middle in a hard zone where Kelce is going to be most active. Keeping an OLB on him might not be necessary since we will have to invest in covering Jamaal Charles, as well. I would rather use an LB on Charles and the SS on Kelce.

I worry that Schwartz may be too aggressive for this quick to pick up the small yard offense. The dink and dunk could pluck away at our D, and going no huddle may tire us quickly and keep us from subbing. I worry that they commit to aggressive running early which wears our legs out down the stretch.

Because of this I want to see full rotations of our DL. Similar to the last few games where we had the entire B unit in, I want to continue that. I want to keep Spikes in and at times go to a hybrid 44 D.

A 44D...

X - KWilliams - Dareus - Hughes

X - Spikes - Brown - Bradham

Gilmore - A-Arron - McKelvin

The X's would be Mario Williams and Manny Lawson playing up and down mixed all over the place with Lawson focused on the RB. Mario can be pulled out and replaced with just Lawson, then put in an extra cover guy in.

Keep Charles and Kelce in front of us, get our hands up and limit Smith and we'll win this. Smith already cuts his field down to anything under 15 yards of the LOS. Get our hands up and get to the ball.

hey people like lists and bullet point talking blurps:

Keys to the D's claiming the W

• Account for Charles every play
  • The DL must disrupt the throwing lanes and get their hands up.
  • Get to the ball and eliminate YAC.
  • Don't bend. They're not going to break us, they don't have the offense. Simply don't bend.

I think the strategy described in your first sentence will be most effective.