Home field "advantage"? Game forecast....

YoloinOhio

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, forget I ever mentioned anything - tough crowd here today. You're right Klos63 - nobody has calendars anymore. You ever hear the word - "expression"?

Sorry. didn't mean to go at you that hard...it's just cliches about trap game, overlooking an opponent.....those are just media things...players prepare and practice for the upcoming game and travel...etc don't mean as much as people believe.

Wow, forget I ever mentioned anything - tough crowd here today. You're right Klos63 - nobody has calendars anymore. You ever hear the word - "expression"?

Sorry for acting so tough on you, but reading these posts daily I am shocked at some of the logic that goes into 'hoping we win' by things other then playing the game. Look past a game, trap game, travel through time zones, weather, the fans....

Nothing personal, just amazes me sometimes.

Not a fact. Arizona has a similar advantage. Look it up. You can die in their weather conditions.

Is that with the air conditioning on or off?

Seriously though, and speaking of air conditioning, I hear opposing kickers HATE kicking into it. That IS a home field advantage for Arizona.

GO BILLS!!!

40 degrees and rain/snow mix? Now might be the perfect time to remind everyone I have two seats in the Van Miller Club I need to move for this weekend's game. The seats are covered and have the benefit of the radiant heaters.

PM me if interested!

If you do not work in marketing, you missed your calling. Way to swoop in there ;)

LOL

BTW whats the blackout cutoff? not that it matters to me in VA

Stub Hub has 3,411 tickets available

I thought the game was already declared a sellout. Club seats do not count in that determination, and of course Stubhub tickets and others in the resale market don't count either.

Sorry. didn't mean to go at you that hard...it's just cliches about trap game, overlooking an opponent.....those are just media things...players prepare and practice for the upcoming game and travel...etc don't mean as much as people believe.

haha..no worries. I don't know, I don't have any hard evidence to back it up but I feel that anecdotally I constantly see teams fail to perform at their optimum level prior to a big match up the following week, especially when they're playing what is perceived to be a weaker team the week prior - hence the term "trap game" which has been around for quite a while.

I understand that players prepare and practice for every week, but at the end of the day they're human and not robots. When I played sports in high school and somewhat throughout college, I always knew when our big game was coming up and sometimes that 2% of your body/brain that wasn't 100% focused on this week's matchup was the difference between a victory and a loss - especially in the NFL where the talent is essentially even across the board for the most part.

I don't think coaches ever look past an opponent but I really feel sometimes players do.

Marv changed his philosophy with the team around him, that's what made him a great coach. I was referring to the league philosophy 20+ years ago, it was always "run and stop the run", especially in cold weather. but you can spin it however you like...

The discussion was about Bills' home field advantage, so I fail to see how all of a sudden it's a discussion of a league philosophy. And I don't need to spin anything to know that Marv's philosophy miraculously changed when Walt Corey was dumped and he was forced to hire Wade.

haha..no worries. I don't know, I don't have any hard evidence to back it up but I feel that anecdotally I constantly see teams fail to perform at their optimum level prior to a big match up the following week, especially when they're playing what is perceived to be a weaker team the week prior - hence the term "trap game" which has been around for quite a while.

I understand that players prepare and practice for every week, but at the end of the day they're human and not robots. When I played sports in high school and somewhat throughout college, I always knew when our big game was coming up and sometimes that 2% of your body/brain that wasn't 100% focused on this week's matchup was the difference between a victory and a loss - especially in the NFL where the talent is essentially even across the board for the most part.

I don't think coaches ever look past an opponent but I really feel sometimes players do.

Fair enough.....but I feel once the game starts you are 100% in to that game

The article is a couple of years old, but facts are facts -- there's no evidence to support the existence of "trap" or "letdown" games.

The article is a couple of years old, but facts are facts -- there's no evidence to support the existence of "trap" or "letdown" games.

I remember reading that article at one point. It's a great article and well reasoned. I don't think you can just say "facts are facts" and leave it there. The way that "study" was done is not concrete as it relies on a team's final record at the end of the season and then goes back at the w/l's to determine what a "trap game" actually was. Such a strategy completely removes ebbs/flows and momentum that naturally occur within a season by simply looking at the final product - these ebbs/flows and momentum within a season are the very ESSENCE of what a trap game is.

For example: Right now the Chiefs are 5-3. Right now they're an above .500 team. Right now they're a "good" team. According to many, they're fully expected to win this game vs. an "inferior" Bills team. But what if the Chiefs lose vs. the Bills? What if that kills some of their momentum and then going into the seattle game that loss gets compounded by another loss. In a heartbeat the Chiefs are 5-5. What if ultimately the Chiefs finish 7-9 in the season. In that scenario, the Chiefs wouldn't have even been considered in this study as an above .500 team despite the fact that in week 10, they were a "good" team and fully expected to win.

The "facts" in that article are highly debatable.

Edited by bobobonators