So Bills are not honoring 50th anniversary of 1964 team?

The 2014 football season is 50th Anniversary of first major sports championship ever won by team representing Buffalo so where is the game honoring that team?

i believe they are doing it next season and will honor '64 and '65 together Edited by YoloinOhio

Let me think of how to say this...

Living in the past is a great thing to do when your team has nothing to look forward to or you want to have a cheap headline. I call the Patriots gimmick celebration yesterday cheap. It is not at all a jealousy thing, it is a stupid thing. Patriot fans are Johnny Come Lately. How many Patriot fans were there in 2000? How many Patriot fans gave up when Bledsoe got hurt? When the Patriots had an awful season, how many fans shrugged and turned to hockey or baseball or even go look at that horse face Geiselle to get their fix?

Celebrating in the past is fun and nice but it is meaningless in sports. There are justifiable events: recognitions - wall of fame events, Hall of Fame inductions, prior years Super Bowl trophies. But, to go back a number of years to celebrate what was is cheap and cheapens the past.

Question for the old-timers: Which team was better? '64 or '65?

Since it was much easier to retain players back then, the rosters for '64 and '65 were pretty similar. Statistically the '64 team was better and they lost only two games all season, while the '65 team lost 3 and tied one. Both teams featured a dominant defense and that was what distinguished these teams from the rest of the pack. I was only 10 in '64, but I still remember watching those games. Back then there was no cable and we got the Bills games from the AFL and mostly the Browns games from the NFL. Both great teams and lots of fun to watch.

Since it was much easier to retain players back then, the rosters for '64 and '65 were pretty similar. Statistically the '64 team was better and they lost only two games all season, while the '65 team lost 3 and tied one. Both teams featured a dominant defense and that was what distinguished these teams from the rest of the pack. I was only 10 in '64, but I still remember watching those games. Back then there was no cable and we got the Bills games from the AFL and mostly the Browns games from the NFL. Both great teams and lots of fun to watch.

Agreed ... except for Cookie Gilchrist, who was on the '64 squad, but I think was traded to Denver by the start of the '65 season ("Ralph was cheap!" ;-) ). For that reason, I'd have to give the edge to the '64 team. But the defense was pretty much the same both years, and that was the Bills' identity for 2 championship teams.

Edited by merlin

Living in the past is a great thing to do when your team has nothing to look forward to or you want to have a cheap headline. I call the Patriots gimmick celebration yesterday cheap. It is not at all a jealousy thing, it is a stupid thing. Patriot fans are Johnny Come Lately. How many Patriot fans were there in 2000? How many Patriot fans gave up when Bledsoe got hurt? When the Patriots had an awful season, how many fans shrugged and turned to hockey or baseball or even go look at that horse face Geiselle to get their fix?

Celebrating in the past is fun and nice but it is meaningless in sports. There are justifiable events: recognitions - wall of fame events, Hall of Fame inductions, prior years Super Bowl trophies. But, to go back a number of years to celebrate what was is cheap and cheapens the past.

I lived in Boston during "the change", that magical time when most Bostonians were rocking NY Giants gear during the fall suddenly decided to start liking their local team... even if that local team plays closer to Rhode Island than Boston. I've never seen a city, or fan base, that is more bandwagon than Boston during the *pats early run. WEEI spent more time covering the off season of the RedSox than they did covering the *pats during the first super bowl run. Hell, the "riots" after the first super bowl consisted of twenty drunken fans near Fenway trying to flip cars over... and most of those twenty fans weren't even *pat fans.

I know because I might have been there...

The 2014 football season is 50th Anniversary of first major sports championship ever won by team representing Buffalo so where is the game honoring that team?

Yes, and 65 was the second and final major sports championship won. Good times! Edited by Best Player Available

I will tell you this much, i was at the 85 SB it was easily 20 to 1 Bear to Pats fans.

The 64 team was better. Any team with Cookie Gilchrist was better.

My understanding is that it was Saban who got fed up with Gilchrist's antics, and not Wilson, who wanted him gone. Also note that Gilchrist had only one good year left after he was traded so maybe Saban figured he'd sell high.

Here's a question for the old timers as well...if the Bills had beaten the Chiefs in '66, how do you think they would have fared against Green Bay in SB I? Would they have matched up any better than KC did?

Here's a question for the old timers as well...if the Bills had beaten the Chiefs in '66, how do you think they would have fared against Green Bay in SB I? Would they have matched up any better than KC did?

I think the more veteran Bills' team would have fared better than the young Chiefs.

Maybe the Bills wait until next season to honor both the 64 and 65 AFL Championship teams??

150px-BuffaloBandits.png Division Eastern Founded 1991 Home Arena First Niagara Center Based in Buffalo, New York Colors Orange, Black, Purple Head Coach Troy Cordingley General Manager Steve Dietrich Local media WWKB, WGR, WGWE Championships 1992, 1993, 1996, 2008 Division Championships 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011

Also owned by the Pegula Family

Edited by Guffalo

I so disagree. Great organizations celebrate their history. Military organizations do it. Great, established companies (like Mercedes, for example) do it. Great teams should do it too. Teams are more than a collection of players. Traditions matter and foster a sense of unity and commitment. Celebrating heroes of the past helps create a culture of winning.

Besides, the Bills of '64 were lions of the gridiron and deserve to be recognized.

Question for the old-timers: Which team was better? '64 or '65?

From my Dad's shoulders, all I really remember is trying to see around the damn poles and the occasional beer bottle flying over my head.

BTW the 65 team gets my vote, only because I sort of remember it. That Defense! Damn.

One last thought, we play the Browns this year, it could be like the Cookie vs Brown Superbowl anniversary game (if the SB would have started a couple years early).