Doug Whaley joined L.A. Bills Backers to watch games this morning

I believe the story line that says they were negotiating with Orton all along. I don't believe it was "oh, he's sitting there, let's sign him". (I think the price they were willing to pay may have gone up to meet what Orton was willing to sign for, as EJ's lack of readiness became more and more apparent.)

I'm pretty sure that it was simply a matter of Orton not wanting to make a decision on any team until after the four preseason games were done, and it was apparent there were not any starting jobs to be had. The Bills kept upping the money but he wasn't going to sign until he knew. Then, the Bills became his best chance, along with the fact the money was good. He was just waiting it out in case something like the Bradford injury happened, but the team didn't have a solid backup they planned to start in his place.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that it was simply a matter of Orton not wanting to make a decision on any team until after the four preseason games were done, and it was apparent there were not any starting jobs to be had. The Bills kept upping the money but he wasn't going to sign until he knew. Then, the Bills became his best chance, along with the fact the money was good. He was just waiting it out in case something like the Bradford injury happened, but the team didn't have a solid backup they planned to start in his place.

You could be right, but of course the risk of not making a choice, is having a choice made, if a rookie or little-known backup starts lighting it up...the truth is probably in- between (waiting for some combination of money + opportunity)

You could be right, but of course the risk of not making a choice, is having a choice made, if a rookie or little-known backup starts lighting it up...the truth is probably in- between (waiting for some combination of money + opportunity)

I think other teams were after him and offering deals. The Bills were not the only one. He was going to get another shot for sure, even if it meant after the season started. look at all the injuries and crappy play. He could have waited and got even more money I'm pretty sure.

He played it perfectly though.

Not like I haven't addressed this issue about Williams about 100 times already, and even as far back as right after he was signed by the team. As most know the O line is a passion of mine, and i follow every move on the subject fairly closely.

Chris Williams had to be one of the absolute worst players obtained in free agency by Doug Whaley by far, as was Greg Legursky the previous year. Both players graded as the very worst players on their respective teams, Rams-Steelers, and not just the worst players on their team. They both graded as two of the very worst players in the NFL. The thing is Williams graded at St Louis with a (-21.8), and even Legursky never graded that poorly.

Under Buddy Nix who signed FA RT Cornell Green to a 3 mill per deal, as one of his first acquisitions in 2010 free agency, and he was benched and cut off the team by week 6 of that year. Buddy Nix then scrambled, and searched the waiver wire and was able to find suitable band-aid players for the line in RT Pears & RG Urbik.

Then when Whaley took over in 2013 his replacement of LG Andy Levitre was Colin Brown, and was another player who was benched and cut by week 6 of last year. Colin Brown graded as the worst player in the NFL and his grade was (-30.1)

Browns backup at OG in David Snow came into the game for one series when Urbik went out with an injury, and immediately allowed a sack, and numerous hits-pressures. He was let go along with Brown, and the guy signed to be the backup center in Legursky was now the starting LG. We know that Legursky graded poorly after he was signed by the Bills, and then went on to solidify that poor grade by being the worst player on that line in 2013.

Whaley doesn't go dumpster diving for any other area of the team, and I'm desperately trying to understand the concept of forcing rookie QB's behind a line with such bad players on it. If not having a veteran QB on the roster, or not having a QB coach for three rookie QB's was a "my bad"!. I'd have to think signing such scrubs for the O line, and ruining one, and possibly ruining two seasons has to be a much worse then just "my bad". Yea, i think the OG position is going to continue to haunt this team the rest of the year.

Whaley had a several ways to bring in players for the O line in free agency, the draft, and undrafted free agents. My beef is he is able to find excellent players for every other area of the team, and tries to scrape the bottom of other teams garbage cans for the O line. I just wanted to understand the thinking behind their process.

But of course you feel the need to jump up and defend the GM, as he had no other alternatives to do other then what he did.

http://www.cbssports...s/free-agents/g

Who is FART Cornell Green...

Isn't Whaley one of the "intelligent" people that thought EJ was a good pick? Yeah, he'll be around next year...

Hey, they needed a QB and didn't have one. They didn't want to trade the bounty of picks that SF wanted for Alex Smith, so their only other option was to draft someone. Between EJ, Geno Smith, and Mike Glennon (the top 3 QBs picked), it doesn't exactly look like they picked the "wrong" guy of the 3. Geno is inactive behind Michael Vick and Matt Simms, and Mike Glennon is about to get benched for a guy that completed 41% of his passes for a 22.2 rating in his last outing.

Hey, they needed a QB and didn't have one. They didn't want to trade the bounty of picks that SF wanted for Alex Smith, so their only other option was to draft someone. Between EJ, Geno Smith, and Mike Glennon (the top 3 QBs picked), it doesn't exactly look like they picked the "wrong" guy of the 3. Geno is inactive behind Michael Vick and Matt Simms, and Mike Glennon is about to get benched for a guy that completed 41% of his passes for a 22.2 rating in his last outing.

They picked the right QB out of that class. I said at the time if I was taking a guy I'd take EJ (even when he was being ranked as the 5th or 6th best QB in that class) but everyone knew it wasn't a strong class and it was a bit of a punt. The mistake we made was getting ourselves into that position. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be "forcing" a QB pick from the 2014 stock either mind you.

They picked the right QB out of that class. I said at the time if I was taking a guy I'd take EJ (even when he was being ranked as the 5th or 6th best QB in that class) but everyone knew it wasn't a strong class and it was a bit of a punt. The mistake we made was getting ourselves into that position. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be "forcing" a QB pick from the 2014 stock either mind you.

As reminded above, he turned that pick into two picks, Kiko and EJ, which were two needs. He traded down.

Who trades down to get their franchise QB?

But didn't Russ say that 2014 was Whaley's first draft?

In 2008 the Ravens traded back from 8 to 26 with the jags before moving up to 18 to select Super Bowl Champion Joe Flacco.

• No. 8: Ravens to Jaguars. Baltimore traded its first-round selection to Jacksonville for Jacksonville's first-round selection, two third-round selections, and fourth-round selection (No. 26, 71, 89, 125).

• No. 18: Texans to Ravens. Houston traded its first-round selection to Baltimore for the first-round and (second) third-round selections Baltimore acquired from Jacksonville, and a sixth-round selection (No. 26, 89, and 173).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_draft