'Cuse Hoops 2014-15 - New York's College Team!!!

The Poojer

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a Cuse and JB fan, this is terrible news, 10 year investigation, I sure that all of tobacco row is whooping it up over this news, don't know if this the worst penalty ever, but it will cripple Cuse in NCAA sports for years to come

if there is a appeal process I hope they do, and even though some may call for JB's head I hope he stays

Edited by rumblefish

as a Cuse and JB fan, this is terrible news, 10 year investigation, I sure that all of tobacco row is whooping it up over this news, don't know if this the worst penalty ever, but it will cripple Cuse in NCAA sports for years to come

if there is a appeal process I hope they do, and even though some may call for JB's head I hope he stays

They will most definitely appeal.

Provided none of the current 2015 commits back out, I think we will have a very strong team next year. Maybe for a couple of years if things go right. If we land Thomas Bryant (who is visiting Indiana this weekend :cry: ) I think we will be a championship contender next season. Also, I strongly believe that Hop can hold down the team for 9 games...not worried about the JB suspension. Loss of scholarships is really going to hurt in the long run, although as someone mentioned, JB only plays 6-7 guys anyway.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

if Cuse signs Thomas Bryant, hearts will be broken all along Tobacco Road, and I will have a cheek to forehead smile, the last thing you want to do is back JB in a corner, all that does is redouble his effort and commitment to succeed, and if your a ACC fan, I would be worried if I was you, cause JB and Cuse will becoming to get ya

Can someone explain to me what the violations are? All I have seen are vague generalities.

I'll post when i get more time. It's bad. They pretty much got what they deserved. Hate saying it, but it's true.

Edit : Ok. I haven't yet read the whole report, but Chris McManus (ESPN Syracuse) had. From 1 til now, he's been discussing all the violations in the radio, reading parts verbatim. Here are some of them off the top of my head.

1. Syracuse repeatedly discovered and ignored that players were in violation of the school's own designed and implemented drug policy. It is not an NCAA requirement to have one, but they do, so it should be followed. (IMO they should just get rid of the policy).

2. Some players received credits for interning at a YMCA and completing a certain criteria. This was essentially a no show job. When questioned, the students stories didn't match up with their part time tutor (aka the CEO of that YMCA).

3. The Director of Basketball Operation (i believe they said was hired by Boeheim) was tasked with many this. Including gathering every players email usernames and passwords so that he could communicate directly with faculty as if he was the player.

4. Student athlete 7 (cough cough Fab) needed to play but was a dumb f#@%. All of the department heads came together to figure a solution. They decided to find a class he barely passed the prior semester to up his grade by redoing a paper. They can't just make him though, so they had v to ask him to do it. A tutor essentially wrote the thing that he submitted as his own. So he cheated on a MAKEUPB paper! I'm pretty sure everyone knew it too if I remember what I heard correctly.

5. Some players received benefits. (I'm not as clear on this one.)

6. A coach received somewhere around $8000 for something. (Again, a little unsure if i heard correctly).

I'll be reading the whole document tomorrow.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Time for Boeheim and Gross to resign. Why should the players pay for their decisions.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2015/03/ncaa_finds_syracuse_violated_drug_policy_committed_academic_fraud_gave_extra_ben.html

Syracuse, N.Y. Syracuse University committed more than a dozen infractions of NCAA rules over 10 years, including a failure to exercise institutional control.

These were among the findings of

wrongdoings:

Lack of institutional control

SU failed for 10 years to exercise enough control over its athletic program and "employed deficient monitoring systems involving academics, drug-testing, and athletes' relationship and engagement with the community."

The NCAA singled out men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim for failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance over 10 years.

"The institution permitted athletics success to supersede NCAA standards of conduct," the NCAA said. "Student-athletes and institutional staff committed violations freely or did not know that their conduct violated NCAA legislation. Many of those violations went undiscovered for years."

Academic misconduct

The NCAA found that an SU athlete submitted a paper in a course he'd already completed as a way to improve his course grade and restore his NCAA eligibility. The submitted paper was prepared with the help of two employees of the athletic department who no longer work at SU.

In the the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons, a part-time tutor and three football players committed academic fraud when they provided false information on athletes' involvement in an internship program to a professor who later gave the athletes academic credit.

The part-time tutor was Hank Leo, who's the chief executive officer of the Oneida YMCA. The internships were required for a degree in Child and Family Studies, a popular major among athletes in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamic. In 2004-05, 18 percent (24 of 134) of football players were enrolled in that major, according to university records.

As a result of SU's investigation into that misconduct, the university found other instances of athletic department employees providing inappropriate edits on drafts of papers or take-home tests for three other athletes.

Under the direction of SU's director of basketball operations, the university's student-athlete support services staff operated contrary to institutional policies and procedures, the NCAA said.

That director, Stan Kissel, resigned in December 2012.

The NCAA found that Kissel, along with an SU support services mentor, engaged in academic fraud for basketball center Fab Melo.

Extra benefits

SU discovered and reported to the NCAA that a former university representative and employee of the YMCA in Oneida County paid $8,335 to five SU athletes. The payments did not coincide with YMCA-related events.

The representative was Jeffrey Cornish. SU's lawyers asked school employees whether Cornish provided checks to SU athletes from an account he managed. In 2003, Cornish drove SU basketball star Carmelo Anthony to a speech and stopped at a neighbor's house so Anthony could sign autographs.

In 2005, basketball players Terrence Roberts and Hakim Warrick attended basketball tournament that Cornish was involved in. In 2001, football players R.J. Anderson and Kyle Johnson participated in a reading event at the Oneida YMCA.

The YMCA sued Cornish in 2008, claiming he set up a bank account using the YMCA's not-for-profit tax ID number without the agency's permission and diverted as much as $338,462 to his own benefit.

The NCAA found that Cornish paid SU athletes out of that account.

Failing to follow its drug-testing policy

SU discovered and self-reported to the NCAA that between 2001 and 2009, the athletic department administered drug tests to athletes in a way that was inconsistent with the written policy.

In those years, Syracuse didn't follow its written drug-testing policy.

"Like many of the other severe violations involved in this case, the institution's actions regarding its dismissal of the written drug testing policies and procedures were aimed at preserving student-athletes' ability to compete for the men's basketball program," the NCAA report said.

Okay, so I heard back from Otto the Orange. Actually nothing too incredibly groundbreaking, but some good info.

*disclamer* It any of this information proves to be inaccurate, I blame Poojer.

Basically affirmed what I posted a while back. The NCAA is not pleased with the self-imposed ban. While it is believed that there will be no additional years of post-season ban, it is generally felt that there will be a loss of scholarships in 2016 (not the incoming class).

Syracuse's 2015 class is unreal...probably top 5 in the country. If they land 5 star big fella, Thomas Bryant, they will be top 3. I'm sure I will have more recruiting stuff after I go out drinking with him on Wednesday (college reunion of sorts).

The most interesting information was regarding AD Daryl Gross. Don't be shocked if he is the university's sacrificial lamb here.

Looks like my source wasn't too far off the mark. Although I was a bit shocked at the number of scholarships lost. Interesting to see what they do with Gross...

Someone is going to have to take their lumps for this, and it isn't going to be Boeheim.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I honestly see nothing but minor stuff here. Term papers? Please. Who was it? If Fab Melo, wasnt he already suspended?

The payment allegations are vague; and they don't say who this Cornish paid. They likely have no proof of payments.

And who was doing drugs? Just not following your own policy shouldn't be sanctionable. Is there evidence of actual drug use? If so, by whom?

I was expecting line by line detail of fact findings, like a normal investigative report.

Not to diminish violating any rules, but I couldn't agree more. And didn't the NCAA reinstate fab and southerland then go back on it? That said. If Cuse appeals anything, I hope it's the stupid vacated wins. I hope we accept the 9 game suspension and some scholarships and then go out and B word slap the tourney and acc for the next few years.

Hopefully the NCAA takes sexual assault as serious as they do tutors writing term papers and athletes getting a few bucks to referee sporting events or smoking weed. But I think we already know that answer.

I honestly see nothing but minor stuff here. Term papers? Please. Who was it? If Fab Melo, wasnt he already suspended?

The payment allegations are vague; and they don't say who this Cornish paid. They likely have no proof of payments.

And who was doing drugs? Just not following your own policy shouldn't be sanctionable. Is there evidence of actual drug use? If so, by whom?

I was expecting line by line detail of fact findings, like a normal investigative report.

So, I read the actual 90 page report, and it provides more detail. That said, the most serious charge appears to be the ymca guy, and that guy wasn't given special access to players. That is important, because it means the school shouldn't be at fault for that guy paying players for doing stuff at the Y.

Great effort by our guys today, especially Roberson. One thing I found odd was Cooney's mom crying at the end of the game when Cooney and Christmas were pulled. It was as if it were her son's last game.

I read the whole report. I think (hope) they reduce the number of suspensions. I could care less about the vacated wins. Boeheim was willfully ignorant. When he hired a guy and essentially told him to do whatever he had to to get his players on the court, he knew what that might entail. Covering his eyes and ears and playing dumb is not a good enough excuse.

I lost respect for Gross and Boeheim over the drug issue. Sure, they shouldn't have had the policy, but they did. Claiming that the drug policy (that the school created and implemented itself) was too complicated to understand is just pure arrogance.