We need to be a passing team now.

Think our best chance to win the rest of the year is to put the ball into Kyle's and the WR's hands. It will also open up the run game a lot more. Doubt Hackett will do this, but we will see. Also I think Spiller would benefit from a pass first team, too bad hes gone for awhile if not for good.

IMO no we don't.

factoid - in a given season the QB that leads the NFL in passing yards has never won a SB that year.

you need balance and a very good D

Another factoid - you can still be a passing team without actually leading the NFL in yardage.

And a passing team, if they force the defense into constant pass defense, wind up with a lot of easy runs.

I'd be curious to see how many of the last ten SB winners finished ranked higher in passing yardage than rushing, versus the other way around.

IMO no we don't.

factoid - in a given season the QB that leads the NFL in passing yards has never won a SB that year.

you need balance and a very good D

Balance at this point would be more passing, especially since we cannot run the ball effectively. 17 pass attempts was not balance. At this point, the 2014 Bills are not going to be Avery good running team. So NH needs to realize this team will only go as far as he will let KO take them.

Think our best chance to win the rest of the year is to put the ball into Kyle's and the WR's hands. It will also open up the run game a lot more. Doubt Hackett will do this, but we will see. Also I think Spiller would benefit from a pass first team, too bad hes gone for awhile if not for good.

Is this another I hate Hackett thread masquerading as a Hackett is unimaginative and unprepared for the NFL thread?

If the pass protection doesn't improve it'll be hard to run a pass first offense with a pocket passer. Hopefully the addition of Urbik, half a season of experience for the young guys, and coaching up the line over the bye will help, but the lack of progress to this point leaves me skeptical. But with Orton's knack for nailing the intermediate routes and the talent we have among our receivers, this offense could be scary with better protection.

The loss of Fred Jackson hurts the passing game on two fronts as well - He's our best pass blocking back and the best receiver out of the backfield. It really helps to have that element on a pass first team.

Those who think running the football is good then just look at our record was last year when we were second in the league in rushing.This is a passing league, and even the teams that are good and run the football reaily are passing but have a running QB.Pass the football on Sunday more and your starters are on the bench by the end of the 3rd.Good teams the make the playoffs year after year are passing the football.Caveman football is done.

then I think you need to change the title or be more specific in you definition

when someone says "we need to be a passing team" others will assume that it indicates a pass heavy team.

balance has always been the key,

The Patriots are a passing team. The last time they won a SB they were much more balanced.

IIRC (too lazy to look it up)

Tuck Bowl (2001 season) - the putrids were a balanced team, in 2002 they went away from the run and didn't make the playoffs.

yes the cliche is its a passing league, it makes for excitement. NOT SB wins nor a guarantee to make the playoffs

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Those who think running the football is good then just look at our record was last year when we were second in the league in rushing.This is a passing league, and even the teams that are good and run the football reaily are passing but have a running QB.Pass the football on Sunday more and your starters are on the bench by the end of the 3rd.Good teams the make the playoffs year after year are passing the football.Caveman football is done.

That's ridiculous. Teams that pass a lot never win. Look at QBs with big passing numbers: Brees, Manning, Rogers, Brady, Luck. What do they all have in common? Looooosers.

then I think you need to change the title or be more specific in you definition

when someone says "we need to be a passing team" others will assume that it indicates a pass heavy team.

balance has always been the key,

The Patriots are a passing team. The last time they won a SB they were much more balanced.

IIRC (too lazy to look it up)

Tuck Bowl (2001 season) - the putrids were a balanced team, in 2002 they went away from the run and didn't make the playoffs.

yes the cliche is its a passing league, it makes for excitement. NOT SB wins nor a guarantee to make the playoffs

I think a more significant point is that the last time the Pats won a SB was when they had a very good defense. As they traded away or failed to resign their defensive stars, they not coincidentally stopped winning Superbowls. The NFL is a passing league now, it's not a cliche. There is no guaranteed formula to make the playoffs or win a Superbowl, but generally you need a very good QB and a top defense to win it all. Teams have won it with average QB"s when they've had a truly suffocating Defense.

That's ridiculous. Teams that pass a lot never win. Look at QBs with big passing numbers: Brees, Manning, Rogers, Brady, Luck. What do they all have in common? Looooosers.

Yeah but those guys never won Super Bowls the year they led the league in passing. It sounds like all that passing actually hurt their chances of winning. I doubt it has to do with them having a weaker team, thus leading them to need to pass more. Clearly, correlation means causation.

Our o-line let up 4 sacks on Orton and we only passed 20ish times. Maybe if they improve, this would be a good idea. No use in being pass-first if it gets Orton hurt and EJ has to throw 40 times a game.

Edited by FireChan

Balance at this point would be more passing, especially since we cannot run the ball effectively. 17 pass attempts was not balance. At this point, the 2014 Bills are not going to be Avery good running team. So NH needs to realize this team will only go as far as he will let KO take them.

The 17 pass attempts was not the norm, it had more to do with having the lead early, and maintaining that lead by playing it safe..Hence Orton's first game not turning the ball over.

I agree to a point on the running game. It hasnt been a strength which i thought would b going into the season. Brown n Dixon may work. The Jets D is really really good, actually most the D's we have faced this season r in the top 10. Freddy will hopefully b back in a couple weeks after the bye. I think Brown could b pretty good. He has size n speed & had a couple good games in Philly, n Boobie is all around pretty good\decent

If you want to get your QB killed, don't call a pass play until it's 3d and 9 and everyone in the stadium knows you are going to pass. That why I don't buy the argument that Hackett had no real choice but to go run, run, pass every series. Teams with suspect pass protection need to mix it up more, not less.

If you read the recent WGR article, they show we are not calling run, run, pass. I agree we need to pass more and believe we will as the synergy gets better between the players and Orton. He of all people needed the bye week.

I think we will still see more running against the Chiefs which is the right call as they are #1 against the pass, but weak against the run. If Fred is back, he'll definitely get called to run quite a bit.

I bet we'll have a very balanced attack as we go into the last half of the year.

Let's keep some perspective. We got ahead in the jests game and stayed ahead. The defense was whomping up on the jest offense from the start and the offense had to do nothing more than not turn the ball over in order to win the game. They had no turnovers. We had lately scrambled the offensive linemen and have a lot of rookies in the mix. Keeping it simple is a good thing to do while they learn on the job. We had two substitute running backs who needed to get their feet wet and not fumble handoffs and plays. Doesn't keeping it simple make sense? The two running backs who were out are the skills running backs while the guys who played are the smash-mouth guys. I think they used plays that those guys were used to running and also that fit their running back skill sets. Do you really think that Dixon would be good on a bubble screen? I think they stayed with plays those guys were familiar with, rather than trying to make them run Jackson/Spiller plays that they had never run before. I'll bet if they tried running scatback plays with Dixon and the failed, that our posters would be all over the coaching staff. Now we have 2 weeks to make up and put in a wider selection of plays and to practice them. We also have 2 weeks to maybe get Jackson back and get Tanner into the mix. Seems like a good plan to me. Maybe low on style points but some posters want style points and risk a loss, rather than a booring 20 point win.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

OLine not good enough to throw it 40 times a game. Period. Stop this madness. Next year maybe, but we have what, three low draft choices, undrafted guys learning how to play. Gotta do both.

If the pass protection doesn't improve it'll be hard to run a pass first offense with a pocket passer. Hopefully the addition of Urbik, half a season of experience for the young guys, and coaching up the line over the bye will help, but the lack of progress to this point leaves me skeptical. But with Orton's knack for nailing the intermediate routes and the talent we have among our receivers, this offense could be scary with better protection.

The loss of Fred Jackson hurts the passing game on two fronts as well - He's our best pass blocking back and the best receiver out of the backfield. It really helps to have that element on a pass first team.

Loss of Jackson as a pass blocker was big. that another reason for all the run plays . Defense was good. Turnovers win games.