Should offensive holding be reduced to 5 yard penalty?

Virgil

I've thought this for a while now. For a penalty that most players say happen on every play in some form, 10 yards is a drive killer. Almost everything else, besides a personal foul, is only 5.

I think this makes almost too much sense to drop it to 5 yards, but I don't think I've ever heard it talked about.

Am I missing something?

Reducing to 5 yards would mean more holding penalties called bc teams would rather take the penalty and keep the down rather then the sack which usually end up as more than a 5 yard loss.

This is exactly why offensive holding is ten yards and not five

The penalty that needs to be addressed is defensive pass interference. If the refs are going to call it like it's going out of style then the mark off needs to be reduced. Maybe to the college rule- spot foul up to 15 yards max. I think holding is probably fine.

Edited by vincec

Reducing to 5 yards would mean more holding penalties called bc teams would rather take the penalty and keep the down rather then the sack which usually end up as more than a 5 yard loss.

This is exactly why offensive holding is ten yards and not five

This^^

Why would you want to encourage more holding than there already is? If anything, they could make the offensive holding a bigger penalty than it already is.

The penalty that needs to be addressed is defensive pass interference. If the refs are going to call it like it's going out of style then the mark off needs to be reduced. Maybe to the college rule- spot foul up to 15 yards max. I think holding is probably fine.

Don't like this either, why create a situation where you give the defense of a break by intentionally taking a penalty? This would only cause more penalties where every time a player is beat he just takes the 15 yard penalty instead of giving up a big play.

Edited by Max997

Hasn't it already been changed to ten yards from the spot of the foul if the hold is past the line of scrimmage? As in a 50 yard run wouldn't come all the way back if there was a hold at the end of it. I could swear I've seen this called at a few points thus far this season.

Here's my pet peeve, A D-lineman jumps the count and is offsides, the O lineman though, maybe never saw the guy jump early or instincts take over so to prevent a sack hold the guy and it ends up off-setting penalties and replay the down.

Somehow that just doesn't sound fair to me as the offisdes which occurred first likely caused the o-lineman to hold.

I would go the other way. Holding happens way too often and should be penalized more. It should be a loss of down and 10 yards from the spot of the foul - which assumes the player would have been tackled at the spot of the hold or sooner. The O should not get a re-do by getting the down back.