The final drive [video]

QCity

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone else notice that the Orton throw away on the 3rd play should have been intentional grounding. Yeah, he was outside the tackle box but the other stipulation is he has to throw the ball past the LoS. That ball was a good 3-4 yards shy of getting back to the LoS. It's nice to finally get a call (or non-call) in our favor.

Anyone else notice that the Orton throw away on the 3rd play should have been intentional grounding. Yeah, he was outside the tackle box but the other stipulation is he has to throw the ball past the LoS. That ball was a good 3-4 yards shy of getting back to the LoS. It's nice to finally get a call (or non-call) in our favor.

If they treat it like a punt, then yes. I would assume that's the case, but not 100% sure on that. The ref even stands a yard short of the LOS where the ball goes out of bounds, it does land past the LOS, but out of bounds.

When you see a ref pick up the ball on the one and spot it on the two it makes you wonder. Was he just rushing to get the ball spotted fast and put it anywhere?

Yes. Clearly the ref knew the situation and was trying to spot it quickly so the teams could line up. It was just a mistake -- one that could not be corrected because Buffalo snapped it and spiked the ball.

If they treat it like a punt, then yes. I would assume that's the case, but not 100% sure on that.

That's a good point, it's the assumption that I was making but now that you mention it I'm not sure either.

There is way too much angst after what is certainly a pivotal win. We've been on the wrong end of these games for years -- it's nice to get one back.

A few thoughts:

1) The key to most successful 2-minute drives is having a fleet-footed RB as an outlet to dump the ball off to. We didn't have that yesterday.

2) Cyril Richardson does not belong on the field at this point in his career.

3) The announcers....ugh.

4) Some of you need a visit from The Ghost of Al Davis.

Enjoy!

The final drive

Thanks for posting!

1.) If Chad Greenway isn't waving hand signals at the snap of the 4th and 20, he might have the extra 5 inches in coverage to make a play on the Ball.

2.) That Hogan catch is even better than I remember. It was a "back shoulder throw" but it actually was too back shoulder, where the defender had a better chance at the Ball. Hogan basically intercepted the ball from Xavier Rhodes! Wow!

3.) Talk about staring down a receiver Orton basically looks at Sammy the whole way on the TD pass. Didn't matter though Sammy is too quick.

4.)That peddle move by Sammy at the line worked on the 2nd and 15 reception and the TD reception. The DB was staring at Sammy's feet and Sammy just broke away. Slick.

5.) I have no problem with Christian Ayenbendayo. I don't know why you all hated his color commentary. I think its because he sounds almost exactly like Teddy Bruschi.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I thought it had made it back to the LoS .... albeit just barely.

I don't think I've seen a QB get called for being short of the LOS if he's outside the tackle box. And frankly, if you're going to let them ground it outside the tackle box, does it matter where it ends up?

I don't think I've seen a QB get called for being short of the LOS if he's outside the tackle box. And frankly, if you're going to let them ground it outside the tackle box, does it matter where it ends up?

I think the rule is it needs to get past the LoS. It was pretty damn close. It looked like it hit the down marker.

No issue there.

Even know I know what happens, I still got that sick feeling in my stomach before the snap of that 4th and 20.

Me too! I also worry myself sick that Watkins doesn't get both feet down or that the ball comes loose as he's starting his celebration.

Edited by Chuck Schick

I was hoping the video would have the hit on Patterson on the ensuing kick off. Was it Duke Williams that leveled him?

Yes is was Duke, he smoked him too

Anyone have a clip of the ending kickoff? they Duke Williams put a huge hit on Patterson.

I think in the excitement the hit seemed a lot worse than it actually was.

https://vimeo.com/109622246

Just watched NFL Replay. At the 6:00 of the 1st quarter, Bridgewater is in the pocket, in danger of getting sacked, and tosses the ball out of bounds. No call.

That call on Orton was terrible and unnecessary. Reminds me of a call against Kelly back in 1996 on the final drive against the Dolphins. From the 5, he goes back, looks... no one is open, and throws the ball out of the end zone. Flag for grounding. Capricious, indeed.

I thought the same thing. I immediately looked at my son after the play and said "Oh no - it didn't reach the line of scrimmage - intentional grounding"

The rule is definitely that it needs to reach the LOS. It states below "including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line" - I guess that does mean where it lands, not where it goes out? Never knew that

http://www.nfl.com/r...tionalgrounding

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

Edited by stevewin

I thought the same thing. I immediately looked at my son after the play and said "Oh no - it didn't reach the line of scrimmage - intentional grounding"

The rule is definitely that it needs to reach the LOS. It states below "including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line" - I guess that does mean where it lands, not where it goes out? Never knew that

http://www.nfl.com/r...tionalgrounding

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

So was the later call a make-up call?

Capriciouser and capriciouser...

There is way too much angst after what is certainly a pivotal win. We've been on the wrong end of these games for years -- it's nice to get one back.

A few thoughts:

1) The key to most successful 2-minute drives is having a fleet-footed RB as an outlet to dump the ball off to. We didn't have that yesterday.

2) Cyril Richardson does not belong on the field at this point in his career.

3) The announcers....ugh.

4) Some of you need a visit from The Ghost of Al Davis.

Enjoy!

The final drive

Thanks for this video! Awesome. I was watching a stream at work and missed the intentional grounding penalty and 10 second runoff. Wow! Makes what these guys did even more impressive. Jeez. Huge drive.