Best heavy metal- Started as a courtesy to Buffalo Barbarian.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now disbanded, Niagara Falls band Stemm did the fight song for the UFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAi9a5k-wvQ

stemm.jpg

STEMM was an American metal band hailing from Niagara Falls, New York. STEMM's first concert was opening for major label recording artist Sevendust.[1] Their last performance was on December 1, 2012 located in their hometown of Buffalo.

STEMM was endorsed by ESP Guitars, Jägermeister and Mesa Boogie.[2][3]

They won the Buffalo Music Award for Best Hardcore/Metal act in WNY for 3 consecutive years. (2001, 2002, & 2003)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEMM

• 4 months later...

Alright guys, I need your help. My son has fallen in love with the very heavy metal stuff. Problem is, so many of the lyrics are WAY too dark (mutilation, suicide, etc..)

Any bands in this genre without those kinds of lyrics?

Alright guys, I need your help. My son has fallen in love with the very heavy metal stuff. Problem is, so many of the lyrics are WAY too dark (mutilation, suicide, etc..)

have to go with Christian metal. Yeah stinks how evil and disgusting some of these bands are but unfortunately they play some of the best music.

Broken Flesh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLA9l4crAtA

Mortification https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9XNGwoFNDs

Living Sacrifice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRh9bGSO2Q&list=PL25B4BDE6FCFD07CF

Just for you joe6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvXB-Vwnco

91475-gojira-es.jpeg

:thumbsup:

If you stick to prog-metal you can't go wrong. TesseracT and Baroness come to mind. Oh, Mastodon, too and killswitch engage.

Edited by joesixpack

have to go with Christian metal. Yeah stinks how evil and disgusting some of these bands are but unfortunately they play some of the best music.

Broken Flesh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLA9l4crAtA

Mortification https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9XNGwoFNDs

Living Sacrifice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRh9bGSO2Q&list=PL25B4BDE6FCFD07CF

Thanks, man.

I'm not goody goody, but man .... he brought home a couple CDs about a month ago (went out with Grandma) and I read the lyrics. Jaw dropping. Talking about ripping out eyes and !@#$ing skulls with knives; rape; tearing off limbs and bathing in blood, etc. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to being a dad, but I told him that he couldn't listen to them and I gave them back to my mom so she could get her money back.

I know metal lyrics will be violent and I'm fine with it. But that schit is over the top.

His interest is primarily the music and not the lyrical content. He knows what he likes, so it's been a challenge to find stuff that has the drums, bass, guitar and song structure he's looking for - but with acceptable lyrics.

EDIT: I just checked out Gojira lyrics from their early stuff and their new stuff. He said he liked the music (he watched the video posted here). Those lyrics I would allow.

Edited by Gugny

Thanks, man.

I'm not goody goody, but man .... he brought home a couple CDs about a month ago (went out with Grandma) and I read the lyrics. Jaw dropping. Talking about ripping out eyes and !@#$ing skulls with knives; rape; tearing off limbs and bathing in blood, etc. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to being a dad, but I told him that he couldn't listen to them and I gave them back to my mom so she could get her money back.

I know metal lyrics will be violent and I'm fine with it. But that schit is over the top.

His interest is primarily the music and not the lyrical content. He knows what he likes, so it's been a challenge to find stuff that has the drums, bass, guitar and song structure he's looking for - but with acceptable lyrics.

EDIT: I just checked out Gojira lyrics from their early stuff and their new stuff. He said he liked the music (he watched the video posted here). Those lyrics I would allow.

yeah, a lot of those gore bands are over the top, a lot of do it just for shock value. to me you can be just as heavy without being the most disgusting and repulsive as possible. I would never let a person who was weak minded, psychopath or serial killer listen to em that's for sure, might give em some bad ideas.

Thanks, man.

Kudos to you for being a good dad.

Metal has largely become a parody of itself. Not all bands fall into this category, but a lot are way, way beyond the pale. If you like that sort of thing, then that's fine - to each his own. Personally, I'm not terribly inspired or impressed with ogre vocals belching out corpse-grind poetry over blast beats, but a lot of the younger folks are (this is where I try really hard to not sound like my parents did when I was trying to play along with my Deep Purple records). I believe you and I are fairly close to the same age - with me probably a handful of years older. I think it's safe to not worry about extreme lyrics having a negative effect on your son - most kids, like we did in our day, recognize the extreme for what it is - nothing more than shock value. You strike me as a thoughtful, caring person, and I think you've probably impressed those same qualities on your children. Just try to keep up with what he's listening to, and you should be fine.

On the other hand, if he starts throwing down to Nicki Minaj or Justin Beiber, then you've got a serious issue on your hands.

Kudos to you for being a good dad.

Metal has largely become a parody of itself. Not all bands fall into this category, but a lot are way, way beyond the pale. If you like that sort of thing, then that's fine - to each his own. Personally, I'm not terribly inspired or impressed with ogre vocals belching out corpse-grind poetry over blast beats, but a lot of the younger folks are (this is where I try really hard to not sound like my parents did when I was trying to play along with my Deep Purple records). I believe you and I are fairly close to the same age - with me probably a handful of years older. I think it's safe to not worry about extreme lyrics having a negative effect on your son - most kids, like we did in our day, recognize the extreme for what it is - nothing more than shock value. You strike me as a thoughtful, caring person, and I think you've probably impressed those same qualities on your children. Just try to keep up with what he's listening to, and you should be fine.

On the other hand, if he starts throwing down to Nicki Minaj or Justin Beiber, then you've got a serious issue on your hands.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm 45 and my son is 13. I don't worry too much about the lyrics having a negative effect on him. I worry more about how others will perceive him and I also worry about what kinds of friends it may attract.

As much as I feel confident that thy lyrics won't affect him, I do believe that they can have an effect on some.

I don't want him to be labeled. The middle school years are tough enough, as it is. The last thing he needs is for someone to google the lyrics of a death metal band that he likes, then start spreading a rumor that he's a Satanist with suicidal and homicidal tendencies. In this town, that's exactly what would happen.

If the Manaj or Beiber thing ever happened, I'd send him to a military school.

Edited by Gugny

Does anyone like "Sabaton" ??? The music isn't that great, but their choice of subject matter is fantastic. It's all military history stuff and any song dedicated to the 7th Panzer Division is OK in my book.

The division blitzkrieged so quickly through France in 1940 no one could ever find it. By the time enemy forces arrived where the division was reported to be, it had already moved on. Hence the "ghost" moniker.

I guess the Norwegian "Pagan" stuff is out then.

:lol:

Have him check out Rammstein. Their lyrics are mostly in German so unless he speaks that, he won't know what stye are saying..but it's not dark stuff anyway!

Does anyone like "Sabaton" ??? The music isn't that great, but their choice of subject matter is fantastic. It's all military history stuff and any song dedicated to the 7th Panzer Division is OK in my book.

The division blitzkrieged so quickly through France in 1940 no one could ever find it. By the time enemy forces arrived where the division was reported to be, it had already moved on. Hence the "ghost" moniker.

Have him check out Rammstein. Their lyrics are mostly in German so unless he speaks that, he won't know what stye are saying..but it's not dark stuff anyway!

"Mein Teil" is pretty dark.

Iron Maiden, of course!

Sabaton was great yesterday! Nice group of guys too.......brought a 6yo up on stage and let him jam out.

As a 25 year old just getting into metal... Holy !@#$ was Ronnie James Dio a metal god. He's definitely in my top-10 greatest Rock singers of all time. Heaven and Hell is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

RIP Dio the world is a shittier place without you.

As a 25 year old just getting into metal... Holy !@#$ was Ronnie James Dio a metal god. He's definitely in my top-10 greatest Rock singers of all time. Heaven and Hell is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

RIP Dio the world is a shittier place without you.

:beer:

• 1 month later...