Seriuosly, Why Can't Coaches Challenge Penalty Calls?

patfitz

I submit to you that a bad penalty call (as we have unfortunately been witness to way too often) can be just as injurious and in some cases even more so as a bad call on a fumble recovery, or catch ruled incomplete, etc. In light of the very poor quality of officiating league wide, a coach should two challenges for challenges to penalty calls in addition to the two existing challenges. That would be up to the coach to decide how to use them. I could live with that since ti does not appear that officiating is going to be consistent or fair from game to game.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't fans challenge offensive coordinator's play calls ?? *throwing red flag on first play from scrimmage* The ref announces "BringBackFergy has challenged the call of CJ Spiller up the middle for 1 yard. We will review this play call and decide if Hackett should be whipped"

To add to what others have said - the game would take forever and it would be a slap to the face of the NFL for how the game is officiated. Exposing blatant bad calls and no calls would show how bad league officiating is and that is not something the league wants people to know.

To add to what others have said - the game would take forever and it would be a slap to the face of the NFL for how the game is officiated. Exposing blatant bad calls and no calls would show how bad league officiating is and that is not something the league wants people to know.

The best fans can hope for is an official be consistent. Still pass interference could be called on every hail mary. I recall a game vs New England when they had Bledsoe and the Bills lost because a pass interference on a hail mary. I think the Ohio St vs U championship game was decided by what should've been a no-call. SB two years ago I think it's a good no call on the throw to Crabtree.

If we want officiating to be perfect then I'd throw every play and challenge that PI wasn't call then on defense I'd do the same that holding wasn't called. We'd be looking at games longer than cricket matches.

So are calls on fumbles, catches, field position, etc

No they are not

for the most part, a spot or if a ball is loose before a knee touches is much more well defined than pass interference or holding

I agree but that is a completely different debate

Why can't fans challenge offensive coordinator's play calls ?? *throwing red flag on first play from scrimmage* The ref announces "BringBackFergy has challenged the call of CJ Spiller up the middle for 1 yard. We will review this play call and decide if Hackett should be whipped"

I would have a standing challenge for the first play each of game.

If I had my way, every play would be reviewable. But, every review would take mere seconds. My concern wouldn't be "getting the play right", which has proven to be impossible. But rather reversing an obviously blown call. That is, most everyone except for the official that called the play knows it was a bad call. An obviously blown call should take no time whatsoever to reverse. The clear exception would be if the whistle was blown before the call in question. You simply can't have players hitting one another after the whistle.

A blown call is clear. An "incorrect" call isn't worth reviewing. If an official has an abundance of bad calls (something that is reviewed during the week) he is fired. Period.

If I had my way, every play would be reviewable. But, every review would take mere seconds. My concern wouldn't be "getting the play right", which has proven to be impossible. But rather reversing an obviously blown call. That is, most everyone except for the official that called the play knows it was a bad call. An obviously blown call should take no time whatsoever to reverse. The clear exception would be if the whistle was blown before the call in question. You simply can't have players hitting one another after the whistle.

A blown call is clear. An "incorrect" call isn't worth reviewing. If an official has an abundance of bad calls (something that is reviewed during the week) he is fired. Period.

Efficient and effective. Sign me up.

No it wouldn't. Just cap the number of challenges no matter if they are won or lost. Coaches won't be challenging five yard offsides penalties in the first quarter, but a 45 yard BS PI call in the second quarter could be challenged, or a drive killing holding penalty.

for the most part, a spot or if a ball is loose before a knee touches is much more well defined than pass interference or holding

If the officials can gather together after a flag has been thrown and decide to pick up the flag because "there was no infraction on the play" then they can certainly review it via video tape as well.