Brandon: Continuity the No. 1 variable

Im just all-in on the outside eyes (other than Holmgren). If they tell me all is well with this continuity, I will buy it.

All due respect to Brandon, I dont think he knows what a successful football program looks like from the inside.

How can this be anything other than a fair statement?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem at all with the EJ choice - you've gotta roll the dice with QBs. But you have to keep doing it. They should have drafted a qb this year, and they should draft one next year. When Holmgren was with GB, they drafted lots of QBs while Favre was there, and traded them away for solid draft pick packages (Brunell, Hasselback, Aaron Brooks, all of whom were picked before the final round).

And that just may be the fatal wound.

It wasn't the drafting of EJ, who was a logical choice at the time. It was handling the position after he was drafted.

I have no problem with leaving the GM in place and leaving him alone to do his job, free of interference from bean counters and marketing wizards. I DO have a problem with leaving in place the JV coaching staff hired by the marketing wizard.

To summarize: let Whaley stay, but get rid of Brandon (or wall him off) and absolutely, positively, FOR FREAKIN' ONCE, get a real, NFL-caliber coaching staff in here.

You can't wall off the guys making the money from the guys spending the money.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I heard the interview on WGR.

Do the Pegulas work for Russ Brandon or is it the other way around?

To me, it sounded like Russ was saying he'd love to hear their input on how he runs his football team.

I think Russ is going to be in for a bit for a shock given how the Pegulas run the Sabres. The Bills are Kim's toy.

Edited by TheFunPolice

There is an argument to be made for continuity though the right people need to be in place. Whaley may be right GM. I am less and less convinced that Marrone is the right HC.

Hence, the lack of continuity at the position.

Dead wrong Russ.

Quarterback play is the #1 variable.

And it's not even close.

ACTING like you are a going concern is more important than the actual continuity. The draft in particular is a process of team building, not a yearly event to patch self inflicted wounds.

When you draft to fill holes in hopes of extending your employment by catching lightning in a bottle and making the playoffs you do a disservice to the organization long term. The decision makers in an organization like that don't warrant continuity for continuity sake, which is basically what Russ is angling for.

Russ has a valid point. Does this mean every coach gets a lifetime contract? I hope not, but guys like Marvin Lewis, Tomlin, Cowher have all had chances to clean it up and get better after a bad season. Instead of continually blowing it up, maybe we let a system grow for a few years.

I don't love Doug Marrone, but I think he has enough talent on this roster that he could make it work. Just need the QB

Russ has a valid point. Does this mean every coach gets a lifetime contract? I hope not, but guys like Marvin Lewis, Tomlin, Cowher have all had chances to clean it up and get better after a bad season. Instead of continually blowing it up, maybe we let a system grow for a few years.

I don't love Doug Marrone, but I think he has enough talent on this roster that he could make it work. Just need the QB

Those guys all proved they could coach in the first place.

Should have kept Jauron they probably would have hit the sky high goal of 8-8 by now.

of course most fans would have tuned out or used the games as a great reason for a nap.

"It's hard to win in the NFL..." Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

Serious question: does continuity truly breed success, or is it more accurate to say that success results in continuity?

Kind of a chicken and egg question there.

Actually, in the NFL, success breeds continuity. You get a rare situation like Gary Kubiak bumbling around for six seasons. But you have to go pretty far back to find an NFL coach who got a fourth season after missing the playoffs for three seasons, and then went on to be successful. I don't think there is a single 21st century example of that.

I just dont trust anything that comes out of OBD, namely Brandon. SOP for years is to blame the guy out the door. I dont think I believe that Nix leaving was so unexpected. I suspect he lingered just to keep the accountability if things didnt work out with EJ. The funny thing is the rest of that draft was so good...

No one believed that was a Nix draft. Everyone knew it was Waley's. Even before the draft, not a person here thought Nix had any input.

I think Whaley has done a good job for the Bills with picks. Missing on EJ is a bad miss but overall, the picks are really good.

• 4 weeks later...