Any Chance The O-Line Could Gel?

Rob's House

Watching the Eagles O-line dominate NY after looking like raw **** in the preceeding weeks, I noticed the announcer mention that with the changes they had up front it would take some time to come together, but it looks like they've found their groove and are back on track. I was wondering if that might be the case for us.

We've got 2 rookies starting and Pears playing a new position. Only 2 of our guys were playing in the same position last year and Richardson has only started 2 games. Seeing as how Marrone is an OL guy, do you think it's more likely they come together one of these weeks and start clicking or that they'll be a liability all year long?

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think anybody knows but I am not sold on Marrone being an "Offensive line guy". Our interior is HORRIBLE. I don't understand why anyone would think Wood is any better than average. He consistently ranks bad in run blocking by profootballfocus. Then when you place two below average guards to his left and right, what do you expect our line to look like? The answer is swiss cheese. Btw Henderson going through his ups and downs is not fun either.

But common sense does tell you that the line WILL come become better with time, as well as Cyril Richardson and Seantrell Henderson. Freaking staff NEEDS to put Kouandjio in at GUARD dang it! Blows my mind why they wouldn't.

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think anybody knows but I am not sold on Marrone being an "Offensive line guy". Our interior is HORRIBLE. I don't understand why anyone would think Wood is any better than average. He consistently ranks bad in run blocking by profootballfocus. Then when you place two below average guards to his left and right, what do you expect our line to look like? The answer is swiss cheese. Btw Henderson going through his ups and downs is not fun either.

But common sense does tell you that the line WILL come become better with time, as well as Cyril Richardson and Seantrell Henderson. Freaking staff NEEDS to put Kouandjio in at GUARD dang it! Blows my mind why they wouldn't.

Did you watch Kouandjio in pre-season? The most lost player on the line by a wide margin. He got beat on every play and I mean that literally. Unless you sit in on practices, you are making an extremely uneducated statement. If you had said Urbik, you would have had a leg to stand on. Urbik has proven to be a legitimate NFL guard. Not an elite one, but an average one which places him above Pears. Since the tackles are,IMHO, long-term bookends, the LG is a rookie showing improvement weekly and the Center has proven to be historically average, we should at least see an average line by improving the RG spot with Urbik.

If the Bills are all in on winning....could they ask C.Glenn to kick inside finally and play LG? They could get S.Henderson at LT, Glenn LG, Wood C, C.Richardson at RG and Hairston at RT. That seems to be their best five linemen and would have Pears and Urbick ready off the bench.

If the Bills are all in on winning....could they ask C.Glenn to kick inside finally and play LG? They could get S.Henderson at LT, Glenn LG, Wood C, C.Richardson at RG and Hairston at RT. That seems to be their best five linemen and would have Pears and Urbick ready off the bench.

Urbik will never leave the bench because marrone has something against him. Pears will never see the bench because he has something against urbik.

I'd play that line though just to see if it could work.

This is not to be taken as a move Glenn to guard, but move Glenn to Guard. Henderson did very well at LT in Preseason...I'd try this, honestly it couldn't be much worse, might be even better.

Henderson-Glenn-Wood-Urbik-Hairston

What's good and an additional option is the confusion created when Pears comes in lines up as the 6th lineman on the rightside heading out of the huddle, but then Urbik moves to the ball and becomes the center, wood to Guard and Henderson is actually the real stacked side...

This only works because Urbik can play center.

Urbik will never leave the bench because marrone has something against him. Pears will never see the bench because he has something against urbik.

I'd play that line though just to see if it could work.

Bingo. And that is why Stevie is in SF, Williams is on the way out and we still have a teenager as our OC.

can the team "gel" when they rotate the RB on every play?

EJ sacked 6 times in 4 games

KO sacked 7 times in 2 games

kind of funny. KO starts tossing for 300 yds (281 ypg a) and the running game stalls.

193 total rushing yds against Chicago

113 total rushing yds against Miami

87 total rushing yds against SD

96 total rushing yds against Houston

49 total rushing yds against Detroit?

68 total rushing yds against Cheatriots?

What changed? :devil:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If you go that route I'd imagine Pears goes to RT (where he's far better suited than at RG) and Hairston is the swing tackle. So far Hairston hasn't been able to beat out Pears for a position.

can the team "gel" when they rotate the RB on every play?

EJ sacked 6 times in 4 games

KO sacked 7 times in 2 games

kind of funny. KO starts tossing for 300 yds (281 ypg a) and the running game stalls.

193 total rushing yds against Chicago

113 total rushing yds against Miami

87 total rushing yds against SD

96 total rushing yds against Houston

49 total rushing yds against Detroit?

68 total rushing yds against Cheatriots?

What changed? :devil:

Excellent question.

I think one of the answers would be, in those first 2 games, Richardson was not playing.

Losing Chris Williams was bad.

Marrone, get over yourself and put Urbik in!

Edited by Mark Vader

If I'm not mistaken, the eagles have one or two of their starters missing. They don't miss a beat because they have real coaches.

It reminded me of Chad stepping in for Andy. He would barely miss a beat.

They are missing (I think) 2 starters. I wouldn't say they didn't miss a beat though. They couldn't have blocked Aaron Maybin two weeks ago, then this week they looked like a brick wall. I'm wondering if a few weeks for CR and Pears to get acclimated and for these guys getting used to playing with each other will make a big difference or if the talent/coaching just isn't there.

If I'm not mistaken, the eagles have one or two of their starters missing. They don't miss a beat because they have real coaches.

It reminded me of Chad stepping in for Andy. He would barely miss a beat.

The Eagles were missing a couple of their starters after the first 2 games of the season, but I believe they got one or both of them back for the Giants game.

That's why they were so dominant.

Having said that, the fact that the Eagles were 4-1 without those starters, is quite impressive.

i think its time to Put Pears back at RT and Urbik back at RG...im not a big fan of either of these guys but the line was obviously better with them in the lineup at those positions then it is right now which is a mess

with 2 rookies starting, it should be expected to take some time to gel, but they should, in theory.

They also need running backs to execute the plays properly. If a play is designed in one direction and Spiller cuts another way, the line looks bad because Spiller gets tackled at the line or close to it. They all have to be on the same page for it to work.

I feel this O-line would be better with Pears out of the RG slot. I'd like to see Hairston at RG perhaps. It can't be any worse.

Pears was OK at RT but I don't know if he's cutting it at RG. Something tells me he's just too tall and can't move well enough for the guard position.

I dunno what to do with this O-line. The O-line has definitely regressed this season, but we also have 2 rookies starting on it, so that's expected.

Ideally, I'd probably want: Glenn / Hairston / Woods/ Urbik / Pears and just get the rookies out of there.

Here's what I'd like to see. LT- Glenn LG -Richardson C - Wood RG - Urbik RT - Hairston . Henderson and Pears ( and another Guard whoever that is since Williams in on IR) on the bench. Henderson has potential but he is really struggling with his assignments. Pears is god awful at guard... it is impossible for Urbik to be worse. At least Urbik has years of experience at Guard and knows how to pick up simple stunts. John Ramsey at buffalorumblings.com has written a really good article illustrating the confusion on our line http://www.buffaloru...ion-shot-plays. This screen shot from his article sums up how befuddled our line is..we are in max protect here... New England is only rushing four and we still mess it up. The two rookies are just standing there clueless.NYs1YDy.jpg Edited by Bocephuz