Any Chance The O-Line Could Gel?

Rob's House

I certainly hope so, but I'm not very optimistic. During our 2-0 start, one of the things I was hopeful about was that, even though our offense hadn't been playing very well, there was reason to expect that both the QB and O-line would play better with more experience. Four weeks later, the QB position is playing a bit better, though not exactly in the way I expected, but the O-line looks a lot worse. It's very concerning.

I find it interesting that the legend of Hairston seems to be growing. I'm hopeful he can progress but I'm curious whether people wanting him to start think he'll be an improvement or just hope he can be. I didn't follow pre-season as much as I'd have liked, but for those who did, was he beaten out by Henderson, or was Henderson given the job on account of potential?

I find it interesting that the legend of Hairston seems to be growing. I'm hopeful he can progress but I'm curious whether people wanting him to start think he'll be an improvement or just hope he can be. I didn't follow pre-season as much as I'd have liked, but for those who did, was he beaten out by Henderson, or was Henderson given the job on account of potential?

I remember hearing Hairston looked good during OTAs but don't remember much during preseason. I thought hairston was solid when he started 2 years ago. Still young. Still can have upside.

how the hell did KO not see that defender before he got sacked!! Did the ghost of RJ posses him?

Looks like he was hanging in the pocket waiting for a receiver to come open and was willing to take the hit to make it happen but the defender got there before the receiver got clear. Dude's got a hefty set.

how the hell did KO not see that defender before he got sacked!! Did the ghost of RJ posses him?

If I'm KO, I'm thinking, they have only 4 players rushing - I should have some time. He's clearly looking downfield at a play that's about to unravel for a possible deep pass. What in the world was Henderson looking at that he just let the player run by him untouched?

If I'm KO, I'm thinking, they have only 4 players rushing - I should have some time. He's clearly looking downfield at a play that's about to unravel for a possible deep pass. What in the world was Henderson looking at that he just let the player run by him untouched?

This play was all on Henderson. When he didn't see a rusher, he ran to engage Pears' guy, even though they're 10 yards from the QB and Pears did a decent job. Henderson didn't notice the LB lurking who swung around and got a clear lane to Orton. All Henderson had to do was stay in space like Lee Smith and protect the delayed rush. If Henderson slows down the LB for a split second, it's a long gain to Woods.

This play was all on Henderson. When he didn't see a rusher, he ran to engage Pears' guy, even though they're 10 yards from the QB and Pears did a decent job. Henderson didn't notice the LB lurking who swung around and got a clear lane to Orton. All Henderson had to do was stay in space like Lee Smith and protect the delayed rush. If Henderson slows down the LB for a split second, it's a long gain to Woods.

Exactly. I want my QB looking downfield for open WR and not looking at the pass rush - that's Henderson's job. If everyone does their job on that play, that would've been a big gain. Henderson is the one that caused that sack to happen. Orton is the one that looks bad though taking the sack.

Looks like he was hanging in the pocket waiting for a receiver to come open and was willing to take the hit to make it happen but the defender got there before the receiver got clear. Dude's got a hefty set.

That's the great thing about Orton. He does have a hefty set... rather than bailing he's got his eyes downfield and is willing to take a hit and deliver. I do recall him getting crushed on this play and him wincing afterwards

I remember hearing Hairston looked good during OTAs but don't remember much during preseason. I thought hairston was solid when he started 2 years ago. Still young. Still can have upside.

Hairston was a reliable RT 2 years ago. He wasn't a stud but he was solid enough. Assuming he's back to full health I'd give him another look. I think Henderson has great upside but if the Dougs are looking to get to the playoffs this year they shouldn't be playing rookies unless they have to.

Edited by Bocephuz

Yeah, that pic is horrible indeed.

Most frustrating from that pic is that Robert Woods is about to get wide open if the Pats player didn't come in completely unblocked that would've probably been a huge pass play.

Wow, you're right. Woods would have had a big gain on this play.

Henderson really looks foolish on this play, and I remember criticizing Orton for taking the sack. I take that back.

Did you watch Kouandjio in pre-season? The most lost player on the line by a wide margin. He got beat on every play and I mean that literally. Unless you sit in on practices, you are making an extremely uneducated statement. If you had said Urbik, you would have had a leg to stand on. Urbik has proven to be a legitimate NFL guard. Not an elite one, but an average one which places him above Pears. Since the tackles are,IMHO, long-term bookends, the LG is a rookie showing improvement weekly and the Center has proven to be historically average, we should at least see an average line by improving the RG spot with Urbik.

I know exactly how he played. You obviously do not understand football friend. First I'd like to squash the notion he is just flat out horrible (which he was at OT in preseason), he is super young and he WILL learn. Marrone even mentioned him not too long ago saying he's improved A LOT. Also when a guy who is having issues with speed rushers won't have to worry about that as much on the inside because it's tighter areas. He would have to worry more about stunts and bull rushes. But he seems suited to play guard at the moment, similar to what St Louis is doing with the 2nd overall pick in Robinson.