With no #1 pick next, will Buffalo spend more money on the DL?

Tipster19

I'd sure like to see us re-sign Hughs and Dareus. I think that we have the salary room to do it and the rest of our defense and skilled positions on offense are already signed for the most part. I like having a good defense, I almost forgot what it was like to have one.

Dareus and Hughes are both very important but there are others to consider before Dareus and Hughes right now.

2015 Free Agents:

Jerry Hughes

Erik Pears

Brandon Spikes

Da'Norris Searcy

Chris Hairston

Marcus Easley

Lee Smith

Jarius Wynn

Stevenson Sylvester

Frank Summers

Larry Dean

Chris Hogan

Corbin Bryant

Jordan Gay

Nick Sukay

On that list I am interested in working out a deal with Gay, Hogan and Wynn before the season is over if they continue to show potential and improve. Searcy, Summers, Pears and Hairston will need to get better and show they cannot be replaced or upgraded.

Lee Smith may not even make it to the end of the year the way people make it sound on here but until we have someone to replace him I want to try to keep him at the table until supper is finished.

Brandon Spikes, Marcus Easley and Jerry Hughes are 3 players that I feel must be resigned. Hughes is the most interesting signing because he will have influence over the Dareus situation. As of right now I am ready to sign Spikes - 4 years and Hughes - 3 years. In week 10 at their continued level of play currently exercised I would extend Gay and Wynn. At the end of the season I look back on Pears and Hairston season to see if an upgrade is possible. Searcy and Easley get an offer before week 16 - they both contribute to special teams.

Dareus and Hughes are both very important but there are others to consider before Dareus and Hughes right now.

2015 Free Agents:

Jerry Hughes

Erik Pears

Brandon Spikes

Da'Norris Searcy

Chris Hairston

Marcus Easley

Lee Smith

Jarius Wynn

Stevenson Sylvester

Frank Summers

Larry Dean

Chris Hogan

Corbin Bryant

Jordan Gay

Nick Sukay

On that list I am interested in working out a deal with Gay, Hogan and Wynn before the season is over if they continue to show potential and improve. Searcy, Summers, Pears and Hairston will need to get better and show they cannot be replaced or upgraded.

Lee Smith may not even make it to the end of the year the way people make it sound on here but until we have someone to replace him I want to try to keep him at the table until supper is finished.

Brandon Spikes, Marcus Easley and Jerry Hughes are 3 players that I feel must be resigned. Hughes is the most interesting signing because he will have influence over the Dareus situation. As of right now I am ready to sign Spikes - 4 years and Hughes - 3 years. In week 10 at their continued level of play currently exercised I would extend Gay and Wynn. At the end of the season I look back on Pears and Hairston season to see if an upgrade is possible. Searcy and Easley get an offer before week 16 - they both contribute to special teams.

Extending spikes and hughes during the year could make sense for everyone. They get more money now and take injury risk off the table, we get a discount to having them hit the open market next year.

Extending spikes and hughes during the year could make sense for everyone. They get more money now and take injury risk off the table, we get a discount to having them hit the open market next year.

Bingo.

Spikes knows he is up there in age with accelerated hit taking. Hughes has to know and his agent has to tell him that the defenses we have ran are damn near tailored to him exactly. He is the prototype Schwartz DE. Signing him before the end of the season could be important depending on our record. If we are looking at a shot at the playoffs and we extend him late it could blow up on the field or on us. The guy has talent and I want to keep him.

Bingo.

Spikes knows he is up there in age with accelerated hit taking. Hughes has to know and his agent has to tell him that the defenses we have ran are damn near tailored to him exactly. He is the prototype Schwartz DE. Signing him before the end of the season could be important depending on our record. If we are looking at a shot at the playoffs and we extend him late it could blow up on the field or on us. The guy has talent and I want to keep him.

Spikes is only 27. Not sure what accelerated hit taking is, but he is not an everydown player and missed games last year. So he probably has less wear and tear than others. But I don't see them re-signing him. I would hope the sign Hughes to a long term deal. Next year I would expect to see our LB core of Bradham , Brown and Alonzo.

Spikes is only 27. Not sure what accelerated hit taking is, but he is not an everydown player and missed games last year. So he probably has less wear and tear than others. But I don't see them re-signing him. I would hope the sign Hughes to a long term deal. Next year I would expect to see our LB core of Bradham , Brown and Alonzo.

Our run defense is the bees knees .... #1 overall @67.5/game. Let's not mess with it. Extend spikes

The way he hits he has made up for it.

His career is accelerated because he is going to be taking powerful hits all season and eventually get to a point where his body is not able to heal itself between games. That comes with being in your 30's. It's happening with Fred Jackson.

Our run defense is the bees knees .... #1 overall @67.5/game. Let's not mess with it. Extend spikes

this is the correct reply. His number will not be that high and for once we have a reasonable and reliable MLB.

How many ILB's have we let walk because they were just slightly above average or other silliness? Poz and T Spikes are perfect examples.

His career is accelerated because he is going to be taking powerful hits all season and eventually get to a point where his body is not able to heal itself between games. That comes with being in your 30's. It's happening with Fred Jackson.

Idk london Fletcher had a long career as a run stuffer. The guys who excel there just have different body types.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Resign, Dareus and Hughes. Both guys should be able to fortify the D-line for the foreseeable future. I would resign Spikes if his price was reasonable too. With no number one pick the team should be very aggressive in free agency. With the cap going up a bit, turnover cap space, and Fitz money coming off the cap the team should be able to go out there and address needs at corner and guard while resigning Dareus and Hughes long term.

Lacking a first round pick doesn't free up the cap space it used to. Still, I vote for a strong DL, and hopefully some day a strong OL. The game is won in the trenches. CJ and Sammy and the DB's all look better if we win the line of scrimmage.

(And of course, if a HOF QB falls in our laps, that might be helpful.)

I know this is about defense but I personally would like to be proactive (for once) and extend Glenn. He is the best LT we have had in a while and I don't want to have to look for another one any time soon. I would get Dareus re-done as well.

I expect Hughes will get big bucks in free agency and will want to explore it. It will take a really big offer to keep him and with the amount invested in the rest of the D line and Dareus still out there, I'd be surprised if the Bills can make a preemptive bid for his services.

The way Hughes has been performing, we absolutely must lock him down. Same with Dareus. These guys can control the game. On the defensive side. We need to preserve our top talent. I am more comfortable overpaying for a pass rusher than safety, if need be. That being said, I don't know what the FA pool is looking like right now.

this is the correct reply. His number will not be that high and for once we have a reasonable and reliable MLB.

How many ILB's have we let walk because they were just slightly above average or other silliness? Poz and T Spikes are perfect examples.

Have never really ever heard of this before. Why are his hits more powerful than any other run stuffing LB? Regarding Poz, he was outrageously priced and Spikes wasn't effective enough after his achilles injury.

I'd sure like to see us re-sign Hughs and Dareus. I think that we have the salary room to do it and the rest of our defense and skilled positions on offense are already signed for the most part. I like having a good defense, I almost forgot what it was like to have one.

We need to keep them but they better spend on that O-line too, Pegula is rich.

With our QB situation and no 1st round pick next year, odds are higher we pay up for a FA QB .... just wondering who becomes available.

Kyle Orton.