2013 Draft Revisited

Woods isn't physical enough to be a sold #2

Keenan Allen for sure would've been better, but you can make that argument for every team. There are always sleepers who play well.

Woods isn't physical enough? I disagree. If he had Philip Rivers throwing him the ball he'd be showing much better too. Put Keenan Allen with the Bills and you'd be saying Robert Woods was better. Until we get a QB we will never see the best of Woods or Watkins. That said, they both flash what they could potentially be. Woods has so much more potential than you give him credit for. Bills get a QB Woods is the next Reggie Wayne.

Edited by purple haze

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woods isn't physical enough? I disagree. If he had Philip Rivers throwing him the ball he'd be showing much better too. Put Keenan Allen with the Bills and you'd be saying Robert Woods was better. Until we get a QB we will never see the best of Woods or Watkins. That said, they both flash what they could potentially be. Woods has so much more potential than you give him credit for. Bills get a QB Woods is the next Reggie Wayne.

You missed my post.

I look forward to your analysis of the other 31 team drafts. You are planning on doing that, right?

Also, regarding Kiko, I don't realize one knee injury makes a history.

It takes a special kind of person to be deemed an idiot by all sides of PPP.

Russ Brandon just said on WGR that 2013 draft was 100% Buddy. I know that's been said before but just FYI.

I don't need to wait and see on Kiko if we are going to grade everyone else at this point. He's a great pick, IMO.

sounds like theyre in the process of distancing themselves from it. Another sign it's not looking so good

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The sentiment had been euphoric regarding this draft. But the way it's unfolding not looking so great:

RD1: EJ Manuel

- benched, may never start again

RD2: Robert Woods

- good WR, but ceiling is a solid #2

RD2: Kiko Alonso

- great rookie year, IR this year with his 2nd ACL. Given his history of knee injuries, how much will he be healthy and on the field? (aka Robert Griffin)

RD3: Marquise Goodwin

- provides a little spark now and then but gets injured easily due to small size. All things considered, not much production out of a 3rd round pick

RD4: Duke Williams

- horrific on Sunday against Pats, he won't last without dramatic improvement

RD5: Jonathon Meeks

- didn't see much time last year, IR'd for 2014

RD6: Dustin Hopkins

- cut

RD7: Chris Gragg

- Has some potential but unlikely anything more than buried in the depth chart

Summary

So at the moment what we got out of this was a solid #2 WR in Woods, a guy who occasionally catches a deep ball in Goodwin (too small and fragile to run shorter routes over the middle), and some depth at TE. The guys in the secondary I am writing off. If it stays that way it's a poor draft. My view is that EJ is most likely not going to start for any length of time again, which means the only way to salvage this draft into something borderline respectable is for Kiko to come back strong and stay healthy for a number of years.

That's pretty much what I said after the draft and got grilled for it, but hey I don't know anything.

You to remember that from 2010 through May of 2013, Whaley was a simple observer with no responsibility for any draft selections. Russ Brandon realize immediately after the 2013 draft that Nix needed to be forced to resign and Whaley promoted from his observers job to GM.

Except when the Bills made a good move. Then it was really Whaley pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

That's pretty much what I said after the draft and got grilled for it, but hey I don't know anything.

You were right. If only TBD and the Bills organization would have listened to you! From now on we are going to have watch your every post with the reverence they clearly deserve.

completely agree and so would anyone who watches Woods play. special teams, running routes over the middle, that chicago catch in traffic which won us the game, run blocking.

sometimes i think people just post stuff like that to get replies.

Whether Woods is physical or not, is more about style points than anything else. I am one of those people that think the players that out produce other players are actually the most talented. Being the most "athletic", "tallest", "fastest", "biggest" or some other non-football measurement is not football talent.

This season 73 NFL players have more yards receiving than Robert Woods. 11 of those are second year players or rookies. Wood is not a special talent. He was not a draft steal. Keenan Allen in the third round in the same draft was a steal.

Watkins/Woods/Goodwin/Hogan is a fairly middle of the rood NFL group of receivers when measured against the other 2014 NFL teams. People really need to get it out of their heads that because this Bills group is better than the 2009 Bills group of wide receivers that somehow that means the Bills have one of the most talented groups in the league.

I wasn't a big Robert Woods fan going into the draft he's grown on me but one has to wonder would Keenan Allen be a better pick?

Allen was thrust into his role after injuries depleted the Chargers recieving core last season, it also helps that he has one of the best QBs, for the best part of the last decade, throwing him the ball. I don't think Woods would have been as successful but he would have certainly stood out more if it were a switch. Short term, Allen looks and has shown he produces better but again I narrow that down to the quarterback play on his team.

Like many have said before, Woods will have a long career as a reliable possession receiver who can move the chains.

sounds like theyre in the process of distancing themselves from it. Another sign it's not looking so good

Agreed. It would have to be highlighted that if they weren't critiquing or inputting their own perspective with the roles they had whilst Nix was here then why were they allowed or even given the chance to have a more prominent position in personnel decisions...

not really because he was adamant that Whaley was very much involved in the process of evaluating EJ (which would make sense). But said that Buddy had the final say on the picks and 2014 was the first draft that has Whaley's stamp on it.

Woods isn't physical enough to be a sold #2.

Keenan Allen for sure would've been better, but you can make that argument for every team. There are always sleepers who play well.

I often wonder what game some of you people are watching. If you asked me to give you one word to describe Robert woods' game, it would most likely be physical. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Except when the Bills made a good move. Then it was really Whaley pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

You were right. If only TBD and the Bills organization would have listened to you! From now on we are going to have watch your every post with the reverence they clearly deserve.

They should, we would better off B-)

maybe after tonight we can stop with the nonsense talk that EJ is better than Geno Smith too

they both stink

Yes, but look back at the picks made after EJ was there anyone that you think be more valuable? Toss in he looks to be the best QB of his class. I know some will point to Glennon but meh his record isn't all that great and wonder if he just piles up stats because the Bucs are in worse shape than the Bills.

Long the guard taken by bears 4 picks later who went to pro bowl in rookie year. Obviously there's a lot of 20/20 hindsight there given our guard situation this year, but given redo thats who I'd take @16.

It's been said you're not allowed to evaluate drafts until 3 years. But I have a feeling there's going to be evaluation of a front office and coaching staff who participated in those drafts after only 2 years on the job.

I wonder if Nix likes hearing he's been blamed for everything that's gone wrong.

You to remember that from 2010 through May of 2013, Whaley was a simple observer with no responsibility for any draft selections. Russ Brandon realize immediately after the 2013 draft that Nix needed to be forced to resign and Whaley promoted from his observers job to GM.

The 2013 draft was a very calculated draft, especially in terms of the QB. The GM's fate rests in the QBs they draft. It's not by accident that Whaley never officially drafted a QB during his tenure, especially since Nix made it very clear HE would draft a QB before he left. In effect, he has a nice get out if jail for free card, but in reality he absolutely had to onboard with the pick.

maybe after tonight we can stop with the nonsense talk that EJ is better than Geno Smith too

You forgot to post this when Geno forgot what time it was in SD.

I hate the Jets but I actually respect them for starting their young QB instead of going to their average backup. Rex is going to be the biggest (pun intended) FA this year.

It's been said you're not allowed to evaluate drafts until 3 years. But I have a feeling there's going to be evaluation of a front office and coaching staff who participated in those drafts after only 2 years on the job.

I wonder if Nix likes hearing he's been blamed for everything that's gone wrong.

I generally agree with you here. It's stupid to blame the draft on Nix. It's Whaley's draft. Evaluate it after next year when you have more evidence. This knee jerk reaction to every game is so silly.