Ebola

Tolstoy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain why Obama is quarantining soldiers that have been in Africa but have not treated patients while imploring States not to quarantine doctors who have been in Africa treating patients?

No. I doubt there's anyone on the entire planet that can explain that.

Can someone explain why Obama is quarantining soldiers that have been in Africa but have not treated patients while imploring States not to quarantine doctors who have been in Africa treating patients?

Because Romney has a horse, you mysogynistic racist!

No. I doubt there's anyone on the entire planet that can explain that.

Different job descriptions and jurisdictions

US citizens/Doctors are Governed differently and the work they do is voluntary/much needed.

US Military on the other hand has a chain of command and its primary function is to protect citizens of the United States.

Taking Ebola home to Mom and Dad in the States is not part of a soldiers job description.

Hows that Boss?

Different job descriptions and jurisdictions

US citizens/Doctors are Governed differently and the work they do is voluntary/much needed.

US Military on the other hand has a chain of command and its primary function is to protect citizens of the United States.

Taking Ebola home to Mom and Dad in the States is not part of a soldiers job description.

Hows that Boss?

Nope. That fails on multiple levels. For one, I realize you're probably a human but you call yourself a duck and Tom said human. Funny story: My hamster Sammy is constantly telling me he posts on this board but there is no way even a talking hamster can do that. First he'd have to know how to type and then find the url. Anyway I checked into it and the only posters named Sammy are recent and named after Watkins and there is not a single hamster posting on here. What else would he go by? He does love him some Watkins though. He thinks the name is why the Bills moved up in the draft. It's cute.

Anyway, I get the chain of command thing but if the Prez is sooooooo sure there is no danger from doctors why doesn't he think the same about soldiers who are making tents and "not treating patients"? Obviously he doesn't, or at least in one possible scenario he doesn't, so 't that's not it.

If it is a given that he feels an actual need to quarantine soldiers then he could say "I don't have the jurisdiction to quarantine these health care workers but I support it", but he does quite the opposite and this makes no sense.

Perhaps the chain of command objected so vehemently to non-quarantine that even the grand imperial president commie guy had to give in? That might explain it. Except he never gives in on anything like reading his daily security briefing and stuff like that. Perhaps he really wants Kent's Kegglers dead so by omission he encouraged the dopey doc to go to his bowling league. This Kent guy seems like a real prick but Ebola? Really? And how does the president even know him? It seems harsh and no offense but your answer falls far short and seemed like a lame attempt to take a shot at Tom rather than answer the actual question. Feel free to try again.

Nope. That fails on multiple levels. For one, I realize you're probably a human but you call yourself a duck and Tom said human. Funny story: My hamster Sammy is constantly telling me he posts on this board but there is no way even a talking hamster can do that. First he'd have to know how to type and then find the url. Anyway I checked into it and the only posters named Sammy are recent and named after Watkins and there is not a single hamster posting on here. What else would he go by? He does love him some Watkins though. He thinks the name is why the Bills moved up in the draft. It's cute.

Anyway, I get the chain of command thing but if the Prez is sooooooo sure there is no danger from doctors why doesn't he think the same about soldiers who are making tents and "not treating patients"? Obviously he doesn't, or at least in one possible scenario he doesn't, so 't that's not it.

If it is a given that he feels an actual need to quarantine soldiers then he could say "I don't have the jurisdiction to quarantine these health care workers but I support it", but he does quite the opposite and this makes no sense.

Perhaps the chain of command objected so vehemently to non-quarantine that even the grand imperial president commie guy had to give in? That might explain it. Except he never gives in on anything like reading his daily security briefing and stuff like that. Perhaps he really wants Kent's Kegglers dead so by omission he encouraged the dopey doc to go to his bowling league. This Kent guy seems like a real prick but Ebola? Really? And how does the president even know him? It seems harsh and no offense but your answer falls far short and seemed like a lame attempt to take a shot at Tom rather than answer the actual question. Feel free to try again.

Obama doesn't have the same authority over civilians and again its our military's job to protect US citizens. They can get paid doing their job by staying together and isolated for 21 days.

I also don't think you can legally detain someone just because you think they could come down with something.

Obama doesn't have the same authority over civilians and again its our military's job to protect US citizens. They can get paid doing their job by staying together and isolated for 21 days.

Not the point. The point is that the administration's message is inconsistent, if they're saying people merely coming into the US don't need to be quarantined, but then turning around and quarantining servicemen.

I also don't think you can legally detain someone just because you think they could come down with something.

That's more a function of the state health services, not the federal government (though the CDC does have some quarantine authority - I don't know how much, but I'd guess not a lot). So it varies from state to state - Massachusetts law specifically states the person has to be infected, MD state law says "exposed." Generally, I'd guess most states can quarantine based on nothing more than exposure, on nothing more than a declaration of a state of emergency by the governor.

Not the point. The point is that the administration's message is inconsistent, if they're saying people merely coming into the US don't need to be quarantined, but then turning around and quarantining servicemen.

That's more a function of the state health services, not the federal government (though the CDC does have some quarantine authority - I don't know how much, but I'd guess not a lot). So it varies from state to state - Massachusetts law specifically states the person has to be infected, MD state law says "exposed." Generally, I'd guess most states can quarantine based on nothing more than exposure, on nothing more than a declaration of a state of emergency by the governor.

My point is without imposing Martial law the Presidents hands are somewhat tied so while he may prefer Doctors and nurses quarantined for 21 days, its not his call to make.

He's doing it to prevent people from thinking twice about volunteering. But the message is inconsistent and the same rules should apply to anyone who goes over there and comes back.

There is a difference between the military and civilians because soldiers are following orders.

The same rules don't apply here and the distinction needs to be made.

There is a difference between the military and civilians because soldiers are following orders.

Ebola is like the honey badger. It don't give a **** about who is and isn't following orders.

What distinction? Soldiers have a chain of command through the federal government, civilians don't but can be bound by the state health organizations. So what distinction are you arguing for: that soldiers and civilians can be treated differently, or that they SHOULD be treated differently?

Put simply, the question isn't "Why ARE soldiers quarantined and civilians not?" but "Why SHOULD solders be quarantined and civilians not?" Your point, while valid, is preternaturally idiotic because it's addressing the wrong !@#$ing question, you moron. :wallbash:

What distinction? Soldiers have a chain of command through the federal government, civilians don't but can be bound by the state health organizations. So what distinction are you arguing for: that soldiers and civilians can be treated differently, or that they SHOULD be treated differently?

Put simply, the question isn't "Why ARE soldiers quarantined and civilians not?" but "Why SHOULD solders be quarantined and civilians not?" Your point, while valid, is preternaturally idiotic because it's addressing the wrong !@#$ing question, you moron. :wallbash:

Your response to me before explains why, so you would have to take that up with the CDC, or individual state to state legislation.

Note: I understand why you believe the Ebola crisis is not something we should be handling unilaterally here in the US, and I agree with you. Declaring matial law across the nation on the other hand puts the military at odds with the public so there is no easy answer here IMO.

Edited by Donald Duck

So I'm on a job site in FL this week. One of the other contractors heard I was from NY, and has been running around telling everyone to be careful around me because "I's gots the Ebola". So I told him I was also working near Dallas the week that guy died. Then I followed it up with some coughing. Should have seen the fear in his eyes.

So I'm on a job site in FL this week. One of the other contractors heard I was from NY, and has been running around telling everyone to be careful around me because "I's gots the Ebola". So I told him I was also working near Dallas the week that guy died. Then I followed it up with some coughing. Should have seen the fear in his eyes.

:lol:

Please keep escalating this. It's Halloween, fake blood is easy enough to find this time of year. You could have so much fun.

Simply put, isn't the military doing it because that's what they do? They don't differentiate between infectious diseases... It is all about keeping good order. Yes, its over kill. I would assume it has nothing to do with Ebola... Just policy. The soldier is bascially gov't property and they will treat said soldier as such. Won't it rock the military system's world if they start making exceptions here and there. They have to be effective and keep good order. It's zero fail. What's 21 days? Its an OCD system.

I really don't know what the military policy is for infectious diseases, but it is probably set in stone. I am going to stop short of calling it stupid because there are lot of regs in the military that are stupid. Yet, if you start changing things around, exceptions here, there... Good order and discipline breaksdown. Just do what your told and that's that. Why is this even a question? Oh yeah, 4mer asked it.

Oh my Lord! WhoTF are you working with! Heaven help us!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My point is without imposing Martial law the Presidents hands are somewhat tied so while he may prefer Doctors and nurses quarantined for 21 days, its not his call to make.

Even if he can't quarantine them himself I'm sure there is no law stating he has to implore states over and over to NOT quarantine.

On a general note I will point out that similar to the way that if we all live in fear, the terrorists win; if we quarantine everyone then Kent's Kegglers win.

Edited by 4merper4mer