Can we start the Rex Ryan watch?

I know could you imagine if the Bills had a team with that record over the same period? Including two good playoff runs?

Safe to say a lot of fans would have been happy with that record. Still Marrone has a shot of at least hitting the "Jauron Line" this year.

he only has a shot at 7-9?

And roster changes, IMO, fall at his feet too. I believe he's had some say in that. Tannenbaum was acquiring good offensive talent, he drafted Mangold and Ferguson before Rex got there. Both Pro Bowl talent. Hell, Tannenbaum drafted Revis before Rex got there. He also acquired Calvin Pace, Damien Woody in FA, before Rex arrived. The point isn't to defend Tannenbaum but to put the some of the blame for the offensive struggles on the HC.

As far as Rex having a better record, Lovie Smith had a better record in Chicago than any coach in Buffalo, what's your point? Look what he's doing Tampa.

apparently, it is a foregone conclusion that if you have a record with one team over several season, you will have the same record with a different team over those same seasons. Despite only playing some of the same opponents, having completely different rosters, FOs, and all the other variables.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently, it is a foregone conclusion that if you have a record with one team over several season, you will have the same record with a different team over those same seasons. Despite only playing some of the same opponents, having completely different rosters, FOs, and all the other variables.

I think the Bills are going to have a problem on 10/26 in the meadowlands.

And roster changes, IMO, fall at his feet too. I believe he's had some say in that. Tannenbaum was acquiring good offensive talent, he drafted Mangold and Ferguson before Rex got there. Both Pro Bowl talent. Hell, Tannenbaum drafted Revis before Rex got there. He also acquired Calvin Pace, Damien Woody in FA, before Rex arrived. The point isn't to defend Tannenbaum but to put the some of the blame for the offensive struggles on the HC.

As far as Rex having a better record, Lovie Smith had a better record in Chicago than any coach in Buffalo, what's your point? Look what he's doing Tampa.

I know I keep repeating myself, but Tannebaum inherited a lot of players from Gutman and Jets' roster got progressively worse under his watch. Even worse under Idzik. You may blame a lot of that on Ryan, but the press here has been pretty clear that most of the Jets' personnel decisions are done above the head coach level. So I don't know how you can blame Ryan for the roster deprivation. He may have input, but as been reported, Idzik has largely ignored Ryan's wishes.

why wouldn't they? Every game is tough.

Just saying that, while I enjoy a good #LOLJETS as much as anyone, I think Rex is a very good coach. I'm also predicting that if he gets fired at the end of the season he will have multiple offers to be a head coach. I also think he would know exactly what to do to make the Bills defense truly elite. Support him with a proven OC and you have a good chance of success.

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

Schottenheimer blew.

Jets fans hated him and he still sucks in St.Louis. Theres a reason he was run out of town after the 2011 season.

True. Only reason they were any good on O was because they had the best O-line in football, not because of Schotts play calling.

Except in the first half Monday night for some reason he's running neck and Neck with Hackett for the honour of least creative OC.

He's got big receivers. Where were the quick 7-8 yard slants in the second half? Why not help out your child QB?

And what has he done with T. Austin? Same as we do with CJ. Can't get him in space. Saw him twice run him off tackle, all 160 pounds of him lol.

True. Only reason they were any good on O was because they had the best O-line in football, not because of Schotts play calling.

Except in the first half Monday night for some reason he's running neck and Neck with Hackett for the honour of least creative OC.

He's got big receivers. Where were the quick 7-8 yard slants in the second half? Why not help out your child QB?

And what has he done with T. Austin? Same as we do with CJ. Can't get him in space. Saw him twice run him off tackle, all 160 pounds of him lol.

He's another daddy's boy coach who is only where he is because of his dad. That said, I'd still take him over Hackett because of his experience.

He's another daddy's boy coach who is only where he is because of his dad. That said, I'd still take him over Hackett because of his experience.

You know who else are daddy's boy coaches? The Ryans.

I liked Rex as a coach before it was topical.

Edited by FireChan

NFL coaches. There are like 9 million coaches who aren't in the NFL. It's a million times easy to become a NFL coach if your dad was a NFL coach. I like coaches who have to work their way up on their own merit.

It's a million times easier to be a doctor if your dad was one. And I thought you liked Kyle Shanahan?

Watching that game last night, I had this exact thought. I think he would be a great fit here. I think the attitude he brings is what Brandon thought he was going to be getting with Marrone. Instead he got a seemingly brain dead lug who looks as lost on the sidelines as that old man that wandered into the dugout during the Pirates-Giants Wildcard game. http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-10-01/mlb-playoffs-2014-elderly-pirates-fan-gets-lost-ends-up-in-giants-dugout-photo Seriously. The man just looks so aloof out there it's comical. None of the fire you saw him with at Cuse.

I think Rex would do wonders for this team, and hopefully strikes gold on an OC that can do the same with the offense. I know that hasn't been his MO, but I'd be willing to give it the chance he figures it out and brings in someone great.

I also think it would be amazing for making the division more interesting w/ national attention. I'm all about it.

Don't make guarantees that aren't guarantees. What part of the Jets' situation they're in now isn't on him?

Their new GM's refusal to spend to the cap, their new GMs horrendous drafting record outside of Richardson, their new GMs failure to improve the most important part of Rex's D aka the secondary, their new GMs reported "sketchy, low-balling" FA negotiating strategies just to name a few.

Their new GM's refusal to spend to the cap, their new GMs horrendous drafting record outside of Richardson, their new GMs failure to improve the most important part of Rex's D aka the secondary, their new GMs reported "sketchy, low-balling" FA negotiating strategies just to name a few.

Funny you mention that. Here's what Gary Myers of the NY Daily News reported just this morning:

When Johnson was interviewing candidates in January of 2013 to replace Mike Tannenbaum, he asked for their plan on how to get rid of Revis, who had put Johnson through two lengthy contract holdouts with the potential for a third right around the corner.

At least one candidate told Johnson he had no intention of dealing Revis because he was not in the business of trading the team’s best player. Idzik obviously had a plan how the Jets would become Revis-free, and that presumably was a key factor in why he got the job. Three months into the job, he traded Revis to the Bucs for first-and fourth-round picks.

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

The Jets are gonna split with us for no other reason then Rex will out coach Dougie in both game. We have more talent but they have the better coach. Look how much more competitive the jets were @ NE then we were at home. Rex is known for getting the most out of his players while Doug is getting the least. You haven't heard one player defend Marrone in Buffalo or Cuse. I'm so pissed that this is another easter 6-10 season

I agree. He's a great defensive mind. But he was his record says (43-44). Some of the blame for the offense, which has struggled the entire time he has been there, has to fall at his feet.

the defense always does seem to put its best foot forward. they sure are loyal foot soldiers.

The Jets' offensive struggles under Rex were based primarily on the fact that they had mediocre to poor quarterbacking, just like the Bills. The years they advanced in the playoffs were the years that Sanchez played relatively well. One thing that's clear is that under Ryan, the Jets built a quality offensive line, something the Bills have been unable to achieve the past 20 years or so. If the Jets had an above average QB right now, they would probably be leading the AFCE and people would not be calling for Rex's head. The good news for them is that they will probably have a high draft pick this year and will have a decent shot at finding the elusive franchise QB. I believe part of Idzik's long-term strategy is for the Jets to tank this year in order to make that happen. It will probably cost Ryan his job, but he won't be unemployed for long.

Edited by mannc

Rex may be an upgrade in Buffalo. Not sure I like his style here and not sure if he would work with Schwartz but if we could basically keep what we have, add Rex to the top and get a fast paced OC - Reich, Gailey or Hue Jackson - that'd be A-okay by me.