Can we start the Rex Ryan watch?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they fire him. Count me all in on hoping he ends up here.

Outmanned jets team and the guy keeps belichick on his heels almost every game no matter what. You can see how personal it is and how much disdain he has losing to the pats in his scowl walking across the field at the end of that game. He looked like he would rather be dead. I am sure he would also take beating the jets very personally if they fired him.

The loudmouth attention craving personality seems to have grown up.

Sorry, but the guy completely neglects the offensive side of the ball year in and year out. They are on their 3rd OC, who is doing as bad as the others. He hasn't selected an offensive player in the 1st round since Sanchez. The offense as a whole is always a mess. He subscribes to the same offensive philosophy as Marrone/Hackeet, run first, blah, blah, blah.

I don't by that he has no control of the offense. The offensive philosophy/drafting hasn't changed with the GM switch.

He's a brilliant DC, but as a head coach, his record speaks for itself (43-44) with 2 winning records in 6 years.

No thanks.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I have a foot fetish for Rex Ryan and I'm beginning to think that my fantasy just might become reality.

The Jets are 1-5 and Ryan is widely believed to be done at season's end unless the Jets miraculously turn things around, which is extremely unlikely given the state of their roster.

Rex Ryan can flat out coach. His players love him, he can out-scheme anyone in the league from a defensive standpoint, knows how to beat Brady, and is just the sort of brash, confident, ultra-competitive and professional/competent sideline manager that we've been pining for since ... forever.

Rex would also be anointed king in Buffalo - he looks like the kind of guy you'd find at the end of the bar on Hertel Street at either 3 a.m. or even 3 p.m. He'd instantly make the Bills relevant, exciting, confident, and competitive. He'd make defense the strength, and with the personnel we already have in place, he'd make our defense dominant.

IMO, Rex Ryan is one of the best coaches in the league and we can't pass up the opportunity to get him here this offseason.

For those who would hold his offensive track record against him, it has been well-documented that Rex has had little say over the personnel on the offensive side of the ball, including the QB (he doesn't even have control over which QB plays). While his choice of offensive coordinators over the years does concern me, I'd hope we could pair him with someone more competent than Nate Hackett - in fact, anyone would be an upgrade over Hacket.

So in sum, my fantasy is that the Pegulas hire a consultant who evaluates the roster and organization and realizes that Marrone and Hackett are not at the level of competence that it takes to be elite; Marrone is sent packing, and the Bills pounce on the opportunity to bring in one of the best coaches in the league, one who would just happen to have an axe to grind with our division rivals who just canned him.

Please let this happen.

agree...and you know they're going to kick our asses when we go in there, right?

Sorry, but the guy completely neglects the offensive side of the ball year in and year out. They are on their 3rd OC, who is doing as bad as the others. He hasn't selected an offensive player in the 1st round since Sanchez. The offense as a whole is always a mess. He subscribes to the same offensive philosophy as Marrone/Hackeet, run first, blah, blah, blah.

I don't by that he has no control of the offense. The offensive philosophy/drafting hasn't changed with the GM switch.

He's a brilliant DC, but as a head coach, his record speaks for itself (43-44) with 2 winning records in 6 years.

No thanks.

Nobody is saying we should hire Idzik.

Nobody is saying we should hire Idzik.

They were doing the same drafting and had the same offensive scheme under Tannenbaum. Like I said I'm not buying that he has no say on what the offense does

Exactly. Look at the scrubs they're playing on offense. I'm damn sure it wasn't Rex's idea to field 11 strike-era replacement players on the offensive side of the ball.

Like I said, the same thing was going on when Tannenbaum was there. They weren't drafting offensive talent. They were going after veteran players on offense. Holmes, Tomlinson, etc. etc. It's the same exact formula that is going on now that was going on then.

EDIT: And it was Tannenbaum that helped draft Revis, Harris, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickshaw Ferguson. How is it the drafting went to crap when Ryan arrived? Ryan hasn't drafted 4 players of that calibre since he's been there.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

They were doing the same drafting and had the same offensive scheme under Tannenbaum. Like I said I'm not buying that he has no say on what the offense does

Like I said, the same thing was going on when Tannenbaum was there. They weren't drafting offensive talent. They were going after veteran players on offense. Holmes, Tomlinson, etc. etc. It's the same exact formula that is going on now that was going on then.

I still don't understand what you're saying. Tannenbaum was a horrible GM. Idzik isn't much better. None of that is Rex Ryan's fault. He isn't the one designing the "formula."

Ryan hasn't drafted 4 players of that calibre since he's been there.

I think you're missing the point. Ryan isn't the GM. You can't put poor draft selections on him. All he can do is coach what's given to him. Personally, I think he's done a heck of a job, much better than anybody the Bills have had since Levy left. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I still don't understand what you're saying. Tannenbaum was a horrible GM. Idzik isn't much better. None of that is Rex Ryan's fault. He isn't the one designing the "formula."

You mean Tannenbaum who help draft Revis, Harris, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickshaw Ferguson? Yea horrible talent evaluator. Guess he just lucked into those.

My point is, the offensive philosophy and drafting hasn't changed with the GM change. What's not to get? The one thing that has remained constant is Ryan is the HC. Through 2 GM's nothing has changed on the offensive OR the defensive side of the ball. Yet, previous to Ryan arriving Tannenbaum helped select Mangold and Ferguson in the 1st round.

I think you're missing the point. Ryan isn't the GM. You can't put poor draft selections on him. All he can do is coach what's given to him. Personally, I think he's done a heck of a job, much better than anybody the Bills have had since Levy left. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

You absolutely can put some of that on Ryan. You think Ryan has absolutely zero say in the philosophy of the drafting or the philosophy of the offense? I mean lets say for a second that that's even true, which I don't believe it is, what does that say about the confidence level they have in Ryan? What, he can only coach one half of the team? And he's the one selecting the offensive coaching staff, so he obviously doesn't know how to find talent in his offensive coaching staff.

EDIT: Fans here love to put the CJ Spiller pick on Gailey and the Aaron Maybin pick on Jauron. But oh no, we can't possibly lay blame on the drafting done on a coach we think is good.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

You mean Tannenbaum who help draft Revis, Harris, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickshaw Ferguson? Yea horrible talent evaluator. Guess he just lucked into those.

My point is, the offensive philosophy and drafting hasn't changed with the GM change. What's not to get? The one thing that has remained constant is Ryan is the HC. Through 2 GM's nothing has changed on the offensive OR the defensive side of the ball. Yet, previous to Ryan arriving Tannenbaum helped select Mangold and Ferguson in the 1st round.

You absolutely can put some of that on Ryan. You think Ryan has absolutely zero say in the philosophy of the drafting or the philosophy of the offense? I mean lets say for a second that that's even true, which I don't believe it is, what does that say about the confidence level they have in Ryan? What, he can only coach one half of the team? And he's the one selecting the offensive coaching staff, so he obviously doesn't know how to find talent in his offensive coaching staff.

EDIT: Fans here love to put the CJ Spiller pick on Gailey and the Aaron Maybin pick on Jauron. But oh no, we can't possibly lay blame on the drafting done on a coach we think is good.

Many fans are idiots, including Bills fans & Jets fans. They would be the same people who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to hire Rex Ryan.

Many fans are idiots, including Bills fans & Jets fans. They would be the same people who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to hire Rex Ryan.

I never said he wasn't a good coach, the discussion is about being a Head Coach, but what a wonderful response. I see you have to resort to name calling, how very intelligent of you.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

As what?

Head coach? He has a great defensive mind, but the guy doesn't know how to pick the offensive system nor pick a QB. I would absolutely love him as our defensive coordinator. Head coach? Eh.

Would I take him over Marrone? No question I would.

Hey I got called an idiot for suggesting that.