Which Bills units, players let team down most versus Pats?

mdk

I'll cast my vote for the near nonexistent run game again for the 3rd week in a row now. Hackett sucks!!

QB Kyle Orton didn't play that bad for a QB who is getting his second start in years. He can't be expected to perform like Tom Brady when he clearly isn't.

What does the run game help with: controlling the clock, and keeping the ball away from Brady. Keeps the defense fresh, and on the bench so those DB's aren't left hanging out to dry all day long. Moves the chains by running wears out the opposing defense so by the 4th quarter they are gassed, and getting pushed around.

Lastly, when the run game is working it sets up play action passing which usually allows the QB more time in the pocket because the defense is concerned about stopping the run. It sets up the passing game so that the opposing defense doesn't know whats coming from play to play.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were able to run the ball, and we were doing it well enough that it opened up the passing game. By the fourth quarter we had to abandon it again. Perhaps running more would have limited the turnovers from Orton, but I don't think, of all the things that could be blamed, the run game was most at fault.

Leodis and CJ are just losers - those two are both stupid and uncompetitive and I'm tired of having players like that on our team. Bench both of them.

Duke Williams isn't ready for the big leagues - he sucks.

Glenn and Henderson were terrible today. Richardson was ok, not great - he needs to work on his functional strength. For a big dude, he gets pushed around.

Schwartz got out coached - he had no answer for the Pats' second half adjustments. I'm not a fan of that guy, he is stubborn and not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

The NFL let us down yet again today with its biased, inconsistent and generally crappy officiating. I'm just so tired of it. Honestly this season has been ruined by the officiating and all of the off of the field stuff - Mark Cuban was right. Pigs get slaughtered. Many of these games are trash and I hope the fans revolt soon.

Good post. One qualifier: as bad as the officiating was, it's light years better than in Cuban's NBA, where the favoritism is off of the charts.

The PI shove instead of turning around for the pick will go down in a top 5 bonehead move of all time for me.

Orton one yard shy of 300 yards again. He's not great, but he's so much better than EJ.

I agree that would have been a big momentum shift early.

Also the BS PI calls on Watkins on Woods big catch and the next one to negate Watkins catch were crucial. Total BS as was the flag on the fumble recovery.

the DB's had a long day but Brady had way too much time

Secondary killed the game and that's not to say its purely a player issue. Coaching is responsible for putting players in a position to be successful. To many mismatches and confusion in the backfield. The play where McKelvin basically gave up was absolutely unacceptable. Duke Williams is not a starting safety. Gilmore continues to disappoint since being the Bills #1 pick.

The defensive line played fine. You should throw the ball quickly against a stout pass rush which is what we saw the Patriots do today. We also knew the seam routes were coming with Gronk and company and guess what. Completely unprepared for the patriots limited offensive scheme.

Secondary killed the game and that's not to say its purely a player issue. Coaching is responsible for putting players in a position to be successful. To many mismatches and confusion in the backfield. The play where McKelvin basically gave up was absolutely unacceptable. Duke Williams is not a starting safety. Gilmore continues to disappoint since being the Bills #1 pick.

The defensive line played fine. You should throw the ball quickly against a stout pass rush which is what we saw the Patriots do today. We also knew the seam routes were coming with Gronk and company and guess what. Completely unprepared for the patriots limited offensive scheme.

What play did McKelvin give up on? I watched the long TD pass a number of times (Gilmore made a great play, btw - just bad luck that he scored) and the guy who was trailing was Graham. The announcers said McKelvin, but I don't think he was there. Can this be clarified?

The PI shove instead of turning around for the pick will go down in a top 5 bonehead move of all time for me.

Orton one yard shy of 300 yards again. He's not great, but he's so much better than EJ.

Dunno... He is .500 on the season and generated two turnovers leading to 10 pts. He's a statue in th pocket. Yeah does some things better, other things worse. Net-net this is a .500 team until they get better qb play.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Orton is S#1tspatrick 2.0. If we are going to lose games, which Orton will ALWAYS do when it's against a good team, EJ should play and take his lumps and if he sucks so be it. This team is NOT going to the playoffs. Orton has feet of stone, crappy pocket awareness, crappy situational awareness and locks onto his receivers ala EJ(the rookie who doesn't even have a season under his belt). 10 points came off of his mistakes. UGGG!!!!!!!!

P.S. I hope we can get something for Spiller because he is a BUM!!!!

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Two number one picks in the secondary & we can't cover anybody. Should have used those picks on lineman. Can't block enough to run the ball. Great Bill's defense can't pressure Brady with 3rd string lineman protecting him. Coaching is terrible !!! The only thing this team is close to is securing a top 3 pick in the 2015 draft for Cleveland who crushed Pittsburgh today. Same old sorry ass Bills !!!!

What play did McKelvin give up on? I watched the long TD pass a number of times (Gilmore made a great play, btw - just bad luck that he scored) and the guy who was trailing was Graham. The announcers said McKelvin, but I don't think he was there. Can this be clarified?

McKelvin was closing from the opposite side and stopped. There was triple coverage.

Like others stated: a total team effort in suckiness today.

1. Turnovers

2. Penalties

3. Coaching

How many times does NH call a run play right up the middle in a standard run formation? 80% 90% of the time?

Orton took a while to get going but once he did he was pretty damn good. As the game went on we went away from the run and started passing it more and it was successful too. We wasted way too many plays in first half just running it into woods butt - as has been the case during most of NH tenure. Its almost as if it takes NH an entire half to get warmed up with his playcalling.

The defense was awesome in 1st half and AWEFUL second half. Clearly pats made adjustments at half and improved tempo and passing game was more effective. We never blitzed. Brady sat back there and had a day. Same crap we see every year for last decade plus. Im so sick of it.

We didnt play smart today. Duke williams made hotrible penalty in end zone. He couldve had int if he just turned around for the ball. He was horrible all game really.

Glenn got beat on a couple of plays and looked average.

Spiller had a bonehead fumble which just gave the pats more momentum/points before half.

Chandler was best player today. By far.

Just a bad loss because with all the GARBAGE play we had we were still only down 1 score late in the 4th quarter. This game couldve been won if our heads were in it and we played smarter.

Orton is S#1tspatrick 2.0. If we are going to lose games, which Orton will ALWAYS do when it's against a good team, EJ should play and take his lumps and if he sucks so be it. This team is NOT going to the playoffs. Orton has feet of stone, crappy pocket awareness, crappy situational awareness and locks onto his receivers ala EJ(the rookie who doesn't even have a season under his belt). 10 points came off of his mistakes. UGGG!!!!!!!!

P.S. I hope we can get something for Spiller because he is a BUM!!!!

Anyone who can't see that Kyle Orton is eons better than EJ Manuel has zero football acumen. And I mean zero. Honestly give me one thing he does worse other than avoid sacks. He actually attempts passes to wide receivers- and completes most of them. Sometimes even before the receiver makes their break. This team is in good hands with Orton. He is only going to get better as he gets more comfortable with the offense. The gap between Orton and Manuel is about as big as the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Orton. And that is not hyperbole, I sincerely mean that.

We were able to run the ball, and we were doing it well enough that it opened up the passing game. By the fourth quarter we had to abandon it again. Perhaps running more would have limited the turnovers from Orton, but I don't think, of all the things that could be blamed, the run game was most at fault.

Reading stuff like this just boggles my mind, and have to think what game were you watching? The one I watched the Bills run game stunk, 3 first downs rushing vs15 passing. almost 40 attempts passing again

Buffalo Bills net yards rushing, 23 rushes for a total 68 yards!

Fred Jackson 10 attempts for 26 yards, a 2.6 YPC average.

Anthony Dixon 7 attempts for 27 yards, a 3.8 YPC average

CJ Spiller 6 attempts for 19 yards, a 3.1 YPC average

Even Fredex who had the most attempts didn't have much success against the Patriots. A team that was 17th against the run.

Reading stuff like this just boggles my mind, and have to think what game were you watching? The one I watched the Bills run game stunk, 3 first downs rushing vs15 passing. almost 40 attempts passing again

Even Fredex who had the most attempts didn't have much success against the Patriots. A team that was 17th against the run.

Yeah man, im with you. I have no idea how someone who watched that game comes out saying we were able to run the ball. We pretty much abandoned the run as the game went on. We shouldve abandoned the run earlier IMO.

I formation run up the middle is all NH apparently knows how to call for a run

We have to start passing to run instead of running to pass

Anyone who can't see that Kyle Orton is eons better than EJ Manuel has zero football acumen. And I mean zero. Honestly give me one thing he does worse other than avoid sacks. He actually attempts passes to wide receivers- and completes most of them. Sometimes even before the receiver makes their break. This team is in good hands with Orton. He is only going to get better as he gets more comfortable with the offense. The gap between Orton and Manuel is about as big as the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Orton. And that is not hyperbole, I sincerely mean that.

Bless you. It's shocking to me how many "football fans" including some fairly knowledgeable fans on this site simply don't get what you are writing here.

EJ is a topic not worth discussing, ever again.

Now, if you don't like Orton...well...that is a different topic of conversation entirely.

Of course Orton is not the answer and we need to keep looking.

However, that search would be a bit easier if we had a first round draft pick next year.

The gross mismanagement of the QB position within this organization within the last several years, alone, is grounds for the firing of the whole lot.

Throw them out with the trash.