Report: Pegulas Looking to Bring Consultants for Bills Transition

Honestly I don't think that has been the case for some time.

To some degree it surely still has. Littman and Overdorf were still doing the negotiating and working the cap. While Brandon may not have been doing anything on the football side, and Whaley had a larger role as a GM (Buddy didn't even like getting involved in negotiating) the cap and contracts were still being done by non football guys.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To some degree it surely still has. Littman and Overdorf were still doing the negotiating and working the cap. While Brandon may not have been doing anything on the football side, and Whaley had a larger role as a GM (Buddy didn't even like getting involved in negotiating) the cap and contracts were still being done by non football guys.

Littman is (was) cheap!

Wouldn't the financial wing still be responsible for working the details of the contracts? I mean, what would be their job otherwise? Football guys make the decisions, but someone has to do the financial work.

Wouldn't the financial wing still be responsible for working the details of the contracts? I mean, what would be their job otherwise? Football guys make the decisions, but someone has to do the financial work.

That's a different thing. Whaley or the GM in my opinion has to be the guy that says player X is worth y dollars over z years. It's hard to know without being there how much the GM was setting the parameters but Nix used to brag he didn't get involved. Whaley is much more involved but to me he needs to make all of those decisions. Littman and Overdorf do not know what Keith Rivers is worth. Whaley is bringing the guy in and making suggestions I'm sure. But for too long those two guys were the final arbiters on how much players were worth.

The casuals will be offended by sullivan discussing

Failed Spiller draft pick

Blasting the Watkins Pick - Revis shutting down Watkins

Marrone being out coached

The QB situation

Undisciplined team

jerry is such a big meany.

ooooohhhh and that mike schopp! how dare he say bla blah blah etc etc....he doesn't even like football!!

Edited by jester43

Funny enough Buddy was at the game today. I saw him on my way out by gate 1. Guess he was in town for Pegula's first game.

Good Lord don't let him anywhere near this team. I love how he was the "great evaluator" of college talent and probably had the worst draft in the teams history. 2010-2012 are 3 of the worst draft in the teams history. Before anyone says Dareus, you should hit on the 3rd overall pick. Picking CJ when you had Freddy and Marshawn still blows my mind.

When you spend 1.4b you can "install" or hire any "cronies" or management personnel you like. The Bills are not a public asset, they are privately owned enterprise. As for the Sabres, they tore down an antiquated vestige of a franchise to rebuild it for long term success. This infuriates the lunch pail crowd that yearns for second tier fa's to make a run at the final playoff spot. But the big picture is that everyone in the NHL sees the upward trend continuing. Hardly an epic fail.

No one said he can't hire his own cronies. It's his team. As for thinking the Sabres weren't anything but a complete failure reveals how little you know about the recent history of the Sabres. Pegula came on board, hired Ted Black and Joe Battista as his "hockey people". They vetted Reiger, who then went on his FA shopping spree to produce one of the worst hockey teams in history of the sport. Yes, a record breaking historically bad team. Pegula panics, fires DR (but keeps Black and Battista, of all people) and offers the GM position to pay LaFontaine, a person with next to zero experience running a hockey team. PLF realizes this and declines, but in a stroke of brilliance hires Tim Murray. Now, explain to me exactly how Pegula bringing "hockey" people upon his new ownership benefited the Sabres. If anything, he owes what he has to PLF right now, who in an ironic twist bolted from the organization himself.

Kim is the new CEO!

"Under the new structure Kim Pegula will serve as the team's CEO, sources said, with Brandon serving as team president but with general manager Doug Whaley expected to be no longer reporting to Brandon but instead directly to the Pegulas, thus drawing more delineation between football operations and the business operation."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749471/accorsi-holmgren-wolf-candidates-to-help-bills-ownership-transition

Just awesome!

Does this mean we'll no longer see Brandon in the War Room on draft day, nor hanging out in St John Fisher? That's too bad.

No one said he can't hire his own cronies. It's his team. As for thinking the Sabres weren't anything but a complete failure reveals how little you know about the recent history of the Sabres. Pegula came on board, hired Ted Black and Joe Battista as his "hockey people". They vetted Reiger, who then went on his FA shopping spree to produce one of the worst hockey teams in history of the sport. Yes, a record breaking historically bad team. Pegula panics, fires DR (but keeps Black and Battista, of all people) and offers the GM position to pay LaFontaine, a person with next to zero experience running a hockey team. PLF realizes this and declines, but in a stroke of brilliance hires Tim Murray. Now, explain to me exactly how Pegula bringing "hockey" people upon his new ownership benefited the Sabres. If anything, he owes what he has to PLF right now, who in an ironic twist bolted from the organization himself.

Does this mean we'll no longer see Brandon in the War Room on draft day, nor hanging out in St John Fisher? That's too bad.

Why shouldn't Brandon be in the War Room on draft day? There are about 15 people there. And if you paid attention to that video you would have realized that brandon was one of three guys responsible for keeping in contact with the top few teams in the draft, and all he was was a liaison between his counterpart on the Browns and not making decisions or involved in the negotiations. That was abundantly clear IMO.