Is it only me that noticed?

Sgt. Ski

Well we always get the bad calls from the ref's see Sammy's call or non call, But... nobody said anything about the placement of the ball after goodwins catch. He went out about 12inches short of the 2yd line and the ball was placed at the 4. hmm and nobody challenged!! I do have the pleasure of dvr'ing every game and re watching it later, but i was yelling at the tv live to no avail.

Well we always get the bad calls from the ref's see Sammy's call or non call, But... nobody said anything about the placement of the ball after goodwins catch. He went out about 12inches short of the 2yd line and the ball was placed at the 4. hmm and nobody challenged!! I do have the pleasure of dvr'ing every game and re watching it later, but i was yelling at the tv live to no avail.

I think we were afraid to challenge because it was AWFULLY close to a non-catch as well.

I noticed. The Lions saw the fumble and took a TO, to make sure he had possession (he did, and the Lions subsequently didn't challenge). But during that time out, Marrone would have been able to see the ball going out of bounds at the 1 or so and challenge, but he didn't. I think that's because you can't fumble the ball forwards and out of bounds, because if you could, everyone would do that to get more yards.

I noticed. The Lions saw the fumble and took a TO, to make sure he had possession (he did, and the Lions subsequently didn't challenge). But during that time out, Marrone would have been able to see the ball going out of bounds at the 1 or so and challenge, but he didn't. I think that's because you can't fumble the ball forwards and out of bounds, because if you could, everyone would do that to get more yards.

both things. I was glad he didnt risk it. Once you give those a-holes in the zebra costumes the ability, they can screw up anything.

both things. I was glad he didnt risk it. Once you give those a-holes in the zebra costumes the ability, they can screw up anything.

Can't argue there. Looking back, the Lions should have challenged it, hoping to get a hometown call. At worst they would have blown the TO they ended up using anyway.

Can't argue there. Looking back, the Lions should have challenged it, hoping to get a hometown call. At worst they would have blown the TO they ended up using anyway.

Exactly. Why not burn a challenge instead of using the TO to decide? Makes no sense. If you win the challenge you get it back. If you lose it you still have another. Maybe in the first half you burn the time out to check the replay. But not in the second half. There will only be a few opportunities to challenge by then.

There was no question he made the catch on the replay. The reason, as Doc stated and we discussed here earlier in the week, was the NFL rule that says you cannot fumble forward out of bounds. It goes back to where the ball was let go, which was the four yard line. It was the correct call by the Refs, and by the Lions, since he clearly made the catch in bounds.

Part of the problem that hasn't been discussed is that the announcers never really mentioned anything about it, if memory serves me.

Even if they didn't know what was going on they should have questioned the placement; someone would have told them in the booth so we would have eventually known, but it never really happened. They just sort of made it seem like he was out at the 4 when clearly he wasn't.

A simple, " if some of you are wondering about the placement of the ball it appears Goodwin started losing control at the 4 even though he he never stepped out of bounds until the one. The rule is you can't advance the ball,on a fumble.", statement would have done the trick.

It sort of bugs me considering they had the time to,review it before the next play.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

It's been mentioned many times...he fumbled forward and you can't advance the ball on a fumble.

I think you can only challenge the spot as it pertains to a first down. Since the Bills gained a first down with the spot at the 4, they can't challenge to gain the spot at the 2. I can't remember a challenge for the spot of the football without a first down on the line.

You can challenge a spot without a first down being at stake.

Part of the problem that hasn't been discussed is that the announcers never really mentioned anything about it, if memory serves me.

Even if they didn't know what was going on they should have questioned the placement; someone would have told them in the booth so we would have eventually known, but it never really happened. They just sort of made it seem like he was out at the 4 when clearly he wasn't.

A simple, " if some of you are wondering about the placement of the ball it appears Goodwin started losing control at the 4 even though he he never stepped out of bounds until the one. The rule is you can't advance the ball,on a fumble.", statement would have done the trick.

It sort of bugs me considering they had the time to,review it before the next play.

If Marrone had challenged the play, the referee would've explained it to us. Since he (correctly) didn't, he didn't have to.

I was going nuts on that play - yelling & screaming at the TV. Another terrible spot for the Bills. Something has GOT to be done with these refs!!!

Seriously? Did you bother to read any of the posts in this thread that clearly explain the rules and that it was a correct call?

The official game log (available in one of the other threads here) states that it was a catch, followed by a fumble out of bounds. As you cannot fumble forward out of bounds, the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble.

And here it is: http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/56234/DET_Gamebook.pdf

Edited by devldog131