CJ Spiller the Drive KILLER

Stussy109

I've been watching Spiller run now for 4 seasons, while simultaneously watching Fredex run the ball. Fred Jackson consistently gets positive yards almost NEVER yielding a loss of 2 or 3 which CJ is notorious for. Like Chan Gailey until Marrone realizes that Spiller is an excellent change of pace back, and Jackson needs to be the featured back, our offense will be sputtering. When Fred is on the field, we tend to move the chains a lot easier, when CJ is on the field, it leads to punts. Freddy needs to be getting the Ball 60% of the time, Spiller 30% of the time, but also lined up in the slot on passing plays, and Boobie Dixon on select Goal Line/SHort Yardage carries. This formula leads us to a better offense IMO. Doug You out there? Chan Gailey found great success after realizing Spiller would never be a feature back, and inserting Fred into the line up.

I truly don't understand Spillers place in this offense...what they're asking CJ to do is like asking a fish to climb a tree.

This may be the 1st time I have agreed with one of your posts. I'm tired of all the CJ bashers around here because he is being grossly misused in this offense. Running him right up Eric Woods butt every play is not taking advantage of his strengths. I want to see more screens, sweeps, tosses, misdirections, etc...

This may be the 1st time I have agreed with one of your posts. I'm tired of all the CJ bashers around here because he is being grossly misused in this offense. Running him right up Eric Woods butt every play is not taking advantage of his strengths. I want to see more screens, sweeps, tosses, misdirections, etc...

he is getting the same blocking and same play calls that Fred gets and handles well. I'm few arching the game right now and have seen CJ take the wrong angle, wrong hole, or wrong cut at least 3 times already. Could have had a big run on one of them that I saw. It's his vision that sucks.

he is getting the same blocking and same play calls that Fred gets and handles well. I'm few arching the game right now and have seen CJ take the wrong angle, wrong hole, or wrong cut at least 3 times already. Could have had a big run on one of them that I saw. It's his vision that sucks.

I'm sorry Mr. Ags, but Fred and CJ are 2 completely different RB's. Different physical attributes, different skill sets, different playing styles. Tough to compare them side-by-side running identical plays.

I truly don't understand Spillers place in this offense...what they're asking CJ to do is like asking a fish to climb a tree.

Simple. They don't want to craft the offense around CJ. Gailey did and that was nice for him. Gailey also used his first franchise draft pick to get him and it still took until half way through Spiller's second year for the offense--designed to feature him--worked for him.

So now they're trying to use Spiller to do basic things. Hello. The things Spiller fails to do are hardly world-class.

Yet, as Mr. Rags ( :bag: ) points out, Spiller lacks some very basic skills which limit his ability to execute very basic things.

Folks have been saying since 2010 that Spiller lacks patience and vision. And guess what, five years into his career and the same critiques abound.

So why is he still playing? Because nobody, not fans, coaches, team mates or anybody doubts Spiller's potential. And as it is, his potential trumps the shortcomings of Boobie and Brown.

Spiller is being phased out. The sooner Bills fans accept this reality, the sooner we'll all be happier!

I'm sorry Mr. Ags, but Fred and CJ are 2 completely different RB's. Different physical attributes, different skill sets, different playing styles. Tough to compare them side-by-side running identical plays.

It doesn't take a special kind of body type and skill set to see/hit a damn hole on a dive play.

This excuse is preposterous.

Edited by The Big Cat

It all starts with the O-line. We need the TE and Freddy out there more often to help block. It limits the play-calling and doesn't allow us to feature plays designed for a scat-back.

Our most effective offensive formation should feature 3 WRs and 2 RBs (or 1 RB and a FB or H-back like Gragg.)

its not like Fred is Jerome freaking Bettis. They are within 16 LBs of each other. And in fact (as I pointed out in some topic today) CJ is actually a bigger, heavier back than Fred based on height to weight ratio.

But if you want to argue that thy are completely different, that's fine. They are both RBs in the NFL. One of them is super fast and young. The other is not so fast and old. Yet the one that everyone would think is the better back is not. He's the one that has dissapointed throughout his entire career with the exception of 1 fluke season which has never been duplicated aince and looking like it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Despite all the excuses for CJ. We heard all offseason that last year he was short of his usual numbers because of an injury. Well... This year he's not injured. He just isn't good. And it's looking like 2012 was an exception and not the normal out of CJ. It's looking more and more like he's not good enough to play in the NFL.

Simple. They don't want to craft the offense around CJ. Gailey did and that was nice for him. Gailey also used his first franchise draft pick to get him and it still took until half way through Spiller's second year for the offense--designed to feature him--worked for him.

So now they're trying to use Spiller to do basic things. Hello. The things Spiller fails to do are hardly world-class.

Yet, as Mr. Rags ( :bag: ) points out, Spiller lacks some very basic skills which limit his ability to execute very basic things.

Folks have been saying since 2010 that Spiller lacks patience and vision. And guess what, five years into his career and the same critiques abound.

So why is he still playing? Because nobody, not fans, coaches, team mates or anybody doubts Spiller's potential. And as it is, his potential trumps the shortcomings of Boobie and Brown.

Spiller is being phased out. The sooner Bills fans accept this reality, the sooner we'll all be happier!

It doesn't take a special kind of body type and skill set to see/hit a damn hole on a dive play.

This excuse is preposterous.

I'd encourage you to find other backs that have had a similar set of trouble despite world class athleticism. Reggie bush comes to mind. It's a different skillset/mindset involved.when they find their role, it's great- though coordinators have been known to struggle accommodating the unique abilities.

Edited by NoSaint

CJ is a home run hitter. FJ is a singles and doubles man. I like the combo. They are completely different and present completely different looks to defenses. I love it. CJ haters just wait as I am sure he will be gone by next season.

The home run hitter averaging a rush of 20 or more yards on 3.2% of his carries. Only 60 more attempts, and he may break 2 more 20 yard runs!

Edited by FireChan

The home run hitter averaging a rush of 20 or more yards on 3.2% of his carries. Only 60 more attempts, and he may break 2 more 20 yard runs!

yeah. At this point in the season, he should have another gain of 20 by our bye week.