The Watkins trade

vegas55

It was interesting to listen last week to so many critics, including the two afternoon clowns at WGR, concluding what a terrible mistake Whaley made in trading up for Watkins. The nitwits had two main points, both of which were, unsurprisingly, completely wrong. First point was they moved up to acquire a weapon for EJ, and so now that EJ is benched the move was a major mistake. As if EJ is the only QB who needs great receivers. Every QB in the NFL could use mega talented receivers. Certainly Orton did yesterday. And you don't think Stafford terribly missed not having Calvin Johnson healthy yesterday?

Their second point is that Bills gave up 2015 number one draft pick, which they would need to draft a franchise QB in case EJ fails. But it's obvious that the Bills have a lot of talent, and even last year, with an oft injured rookie EJ at QB, they still managed to win 6 games. No matter how mediocre Bills QB is in 2014, it's extremely unlikely they would win less than 6. And that's gives you the 9th or 10th pick, and you are never getting a sure fire, franchise QB that late in the round. It just doesn't happen.

Atlanta made a similiar move several years ago, trading way up to get Julio Jones. I NEVER hear criticism of that trade.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually - have seen quite a few stories on how the trade for Jones has kept Atlanta from building a better team- robbed them of needed cap friendly talent...The only position you move up for is franchise QB...it's all that matters in this league.

You never hear criticism because Julio actually has produced consistent big plays (when healthy).

QB play is not an issue for the Falcons. QB play IS for the Bills.

In short, there's complete validity for criticism of the Bills.

You can reasonably argue both sides of the issue. I consider Watkins a special talent. However, if the Bills didn't have a qb who could consistently get him the ball then his talents would be squandered and his productivity on the field would be severely diminished. That would be a good argument for those who feelt too much was given up in the trade up.

When the qb is more than moderately accurate, like Orton, then Watkins not only produces but he is a factor in creating more room for the other receivers. Woods is going to be a benefactor with the coverage tilted towards Watkins. The defense was the biggest reason why the Bills beat the Lions. But without Watkins making some difficult clutch catches the Bills lose that game. In other words the team is getting a good return and an early return on its investment.

It was interesting to listen last week to so many critics, including the two afternoon clowns at WGR, concluding what a terrible mistake Whaley made in trading up for Watkins. The nitwits had two main points, both of which were, unsurprisingly, completely wrong. First point was they moved up to acquire a weapon for EJ, and so now that EJ is benched the move was a major mistake. As if EJ is the only QB who needs great receivers. Every QB in the NFL could use mega talented receivers. Certainly Orton did yesterday. And you don't think Stafford terribly missed not having Calvin Johnson healthy yesterday?

Their second point is that Bills gave up 2015 number one draft pick, which they would need to draft a franchise QB in case EJ fails. But it's obvious that the Bills have a lot of talent, and even last year, with an oft injured rookie EJ at QB, they still managed to win 6 games. No matter how mediocre Bills QB is in 2014, it's extremely unlikely they would win less than 6. And that's gives you the 9th or 10th pick, and you are never getting a sure fire, franchise QB that late in the round. It just doesn't happen.

Atlanta made a similiar move several years ago, trading way up to get Julio Jones. I NEVER hear criticism of that trade.

I listen almost every day...And I'm not sure what they said recently...But I do know that Schopp was all for the trade even prior to it going down, and Bulldog was against it... B-)

The Bills lose to the Bears and Lions without Watkins. 1-4 would feel a lot worse than 3-2. Granted without Watkins our 1st rounder would probably be another 6-10 pick. As it is the 1st rounder the Browns will get will probably be no better than 20th.

If you are referring to the Bills Roundtable last Friday at 6pm, I heard that. Our very own John Wawrow was part of it. I was a bit surprised at how JW was letting the Bills brass have it over not having a vet QB at camp, as if having a vet QB now is ruined by the fact he wasn't here sooner. :blink:

They went on to say how everything was a huge mess and how Orton likely won't be any good and even if Orton was any good that's bad news because the Bills would stubbornly not draft a QB in 2015 even though it's obvious to everyone on the panel they HAVE TO draft a QB in 2015 even without a 1st round pick, yadda, yadda. All the while you could tell Schopp had a boner.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If you are referring to the Bills Roundtable last Friday at 6pm, I heard that. Our very own John Wawrow was part of it. I was a bit surprised at how JW was letting the Bills brass have it over not having a vet QB at camp, as if having a vet QB now is ruined by the fact he wasn't here sooner. :blink:

They went on to say how everything was a huge mess and how Orton likely won't be any good and even if Orton was any good that's bad news because the Bills would stubbornly not draft a QB in 2015 even though it's obvious to everyone on the panel they HAVE TO draft a QB in 2015 even without a 1st round pick, yadda, yadda. All the while you could tell Schopp had a boner.

How could you tell? ;)

right. this is how most teams who haven't had a proven quarterback last more than three seasons as a starter handle their quarterback situation.

you're right. the bills have been the model of success when it comes to making numerous decisions, and it has showed in their record and their ability to have continuity at the starting QB position.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

right. this is how most teams who haven't had a proven quarterback last more than three seasons as a starter handle their quarterback situation.

you're right. the bills have been the model of success when it comes to making numerous decisions, and it has showed in their record and their ability to have continuity at the starting QB position.

jw

Did Kyle Orton simply not want to come to TC? Hard to make someone sign a contract before they're ready. Or could they have brought him in earlier? Serious question.

jw

Well, John, you can argue about the style or the results. If Orton leads them to the playoffs the fact he missed training camp is moot. We have heard that KO was approached at the start of camp. Is this true? If so maybe he told them that he'll show up after camp? If that's the case that explains why they didn't want to bring anyone else in.