Does The EJ Benching Make Whaley Look Really Bad To New Ownership?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tells me that Whaley understands that winning matters, that it wasn't his pick, and he wasn't going to ride him into the unemployment line. But it was Marrone's decision as well and that speaks volumes, I think, for his willingness to pull the plug on a failed experiment. I think the players will be the benefactors of a good coaching decision and feel like the coach is trying to win with what is a decent team outside the QB position and in a winnable division.

Need more specifics to make that judgement. I like that they're willing to admit a mistake. The best GMs make mistakes, the danger is letting the mistake stick around too long.

I don't think any GM makes this move unless he thinks EJ is "the guy". IMO Whaley might have made one of the biggest blunders in this 14 years of ineptness and set new ownership back a minimum of 2 years.

I don't think any GM makes this move unless he thinks EJ is "the guy". IMO Whaley might have made one of the biggest blunders in this 14 years of ineptness and set new ownership back a minimum of 2 years.

So why didn't you start a thread to say that? Why solicit opinion if you clearly had your mind made up already?

Need more specifics to make that judgement. I like that they're willing to admit a mistake. The best GMs make mistakes, the danger is letting the mistake stick around too long.

I agree! Drafting is an art, not a science. The mistake is made if one keeps an ineffective player on the field rather than cut/bench him. Good move by OBD.

It says a lot about Whaley, mostly good---unlike Darcy Regier he wasn't married t his draft picks---they are not going to sacrifice a season where the rest of the team is good enough to win for Manuel to get his feet wet.

Especially when Teddy Bridgewater just threw for 317 yards yesterday in his first game...

What this says about the Powers That Be at OBD is that they are desperate group of people right now in fear of their jobs.

Make no mistake!

If not for the ownership change and a genuine fear of losing their jobs, EJ would not be benched at this time.

This is a desperate move from a desperate group of people.

And keep in mind, I am one of the most vocal EJ bashers on this website.

Tell me what receiver was traded for 2 no. 1s. It was a huge gamble and if they dont win this year I dont think it will be a plus on his resume. Plus he was involved with Nix drafting EJ. I pretty much agree with Billsvet, the Dougs are trying to save their jobs with new ownership coming.

The Watkins trade will be his undoing. Huge overpayment when they could have stayed put and gotten great talent (Benjamin is better that Watkins so far, I know its still early). And we still would have the #1 next year. I hated the trade at the time. I hate it even more now since Sammy seems soft like CJ.

The only reason they made this move is because Whaley built a playoff team in his two years and we would have won both of the last two games in all likelihood with solid, serviceable QB play. We got it in the first two games and didn't get it in the last two. EJ just isn't ready. He didnt need to be great, he just needed to do what he did in weeks 1 & 2. They feel Orton can give them a consistent solid, serviceable QB play and EJ wasnt consistent enough. If anything, this is probably going to make Whaley look good.