Why is the rest of the offense getting a pass?

Spiller and Fred. Those are the only offensive players that can walk off the field with their head held high. Manuel was bad, but the rest of the O sure didn't help him. The OLine sucked, the receivers REALLY sucked and the Chandler is terrible. Mike Williams dropped a beautiful pass, Sammy had the ball hit him right in the hands unfortunately a few times(he's been terrible the last 2 weeks, TD or not) I guess he still isn't trying. Robert Woods looked lost a few times.

Sorry to break it but WR is not a strength.

If Stevie had dropped those same passes this board would be back logged.

The whole offense makes me sick, coaching and all. While everyone sits here and blames EJ(myself included) they need to look at sorry ass Watkins, Williams and the rest of them.

Because today ej was your house burning down and your asking to be upset about the cable company not broadcasting in hd and the light in the fridge being out.

In the grand scheme, it's all ej and Hackett today.

That's one way to overreact. On the whole, OP is 100% right. When EJ made the plays no one bailed him out. When we needed the line to come up big, they collapsed.

It's not making excuses, but you just can't be practical and rest the whole loss on EJ. Sorry.

That's one way to overreact. On the whole, OP is 100% right. When EJ made the plays no one bailed him out. When we needed the line to come up big, they collapsed.

It's not making excuses, but you just can't be practical and rest the whole loss on EJ. Sorry.

Today's game was. There were issues all around, but today was him at 1, 2 and 3 of the biggest issues.

Today's game was. There were issues all around, but today was him at 1, 2 and 3 of the biggest issues.

He wouldn't have been 1, 2 or 3 if 4, 5 and 6 were worth a damn.

Our star rookie receiver couldn't catch a cold today.

By the same standard by which QB is measured, we now need to consider drafting a #1 receiver next year.

ding ding ding

I was proud of EJ today.ast week the pressure rattled him and he played awful all game. Yes he left plays out there, but the kid got knocked around stood strong and delivered some quick balls and the WRs didn't help bail him out. This game is as much on Ej as it is the OL and WRs. The kid made the adjustment for his biggest issue and his young wr corp did little to nothing to help him out. I think posters are underestimating the beating the kid took.

I was proud of EJ today.ast week the pressure rattled him and he played awful all game. Yes he left plays out there, but the kid got knocked around stood strong and delivered some quick balls and the WRs didn't help bail him out. This game is as much on Ej as it is the OL and WRs. The kid made the adjustment for his biggest issue and his young wr corp did little to nothing to help him out. I think posters are underestimating the beating the kid took.

Agreed. And many posters on here will call this an EJ apologists thread, which it's not. No one is giving him a pass. However Watkins has been garbage the last 2 games and yet no one is noticing.

How do you figure? Explain.

Even his completions were generally poorly thrown balls. and that's ignoring the really ugly ones. He didn't seem to have much confidence in his own arm, legs, or decision making - and as a result had no platform to step up as a leader and demand more from the team.

Sammy flubbing the 4 yard slant is a light out in the fridge. Your qb averaging 3 yards an attempt 30 some odd throws into the game is the house burning down (and that's letting the pick 6 go).

An offense has only as much swagger as its QB .

The issue is that the running backs can only do so much the QB is the leader of the offense and when you are trying to develop young receivers ball placement and reliability are important . I just don't think EJ is ready he does not suck but the team needs things from him that hes simply not able to give them right now

Agreed. And many posters on here will call this an EJ apologists thread, which it's not. No one is giving him a pass. However Watkins has been garbage the last 2 games and yet no one is noticing.

There was a some bonkers stat from the first quarter. Something 7 drop backs, 2 sacks, and 4 QB hits. That's insane. Considering that was basically the entire game, he did OK. I give EJ a C- today. He fixed the most glaring issue with his game from last week and the pressure. Missed some plays for sure. Played tough in tough conditions, some missteps from the WRs.

I think most of us recognize what is going on. The team is getting fed up with EJ and it is affecting their play. We've seen this over and over for 14 years. It's why there is a culture of losing. Frustration from poor QB play snowballs.

So Watkins sucks because EJ does? Got it.

the problem is none of the WRs have any idea where and when the ball is going to come. I know it's frustrating to see drops, but none of them decided the game like the QBs mistakes

Spiller and Fred. Those are the only offensive players that can walk off the field with their head held high. Manuel was bad, but the rest of the O sure didn't help him. The OLine sucked, the receivers REALLY sucked and the Chandler is terrible. Mike Williams dropped a beautiful pass, Sammy had the ball hit him right in the hands unfortunately a few times(he's been terrible the last 2 weeks, TD or not) I guess he still isn't trying. Robert Woods looked lost a few times.

The whole offense makes me sick, coaching and all. While everyone sits here and blames EJ(myself included) they need to look at sorry ass Watkins, Williams and the rest of them.

Funny the game I watched EJ had time and had wide open WR's and failed to connect or even throw the damn ball. Stop with the QB excuses

Funny the game I watched EJ had time and had wide open WR's and failed to connect or even throw the damn ball. Stop with the QB excuses

You watched a game where EJ had time? What universe are you in? The game the rest of us saw EJ was on his back within 2 or 3 seconds when he wasn't escaping the rush. The game the rest of us watched saw WRs drop multiple passes.

Again for those who live in another universe, and some of you do. I am not making excuses for EJ, he was terrible. Not sure if people are bad at reading comprehension or what but I clearly stated that more than once. Put down the Labatts and re read.

So Watkins sucks because EJ does? Got it.

I think the point was the bills 2014 and 2015 #1 draft pick got hit in the hands three times and dropped the effing ball.

So yeah ej captained the suck train but watkins and the o line gladly contributed with garbage play too. Williams drop was on a beatiful deep sideline pass. Woods and ej are on different planets.

As usual Freddie Jackson was the man among boys for the bills offense.

Is it me or do poor routes, poor catching, and poor pass protection leading to 16 hits generally mean a miserable day for the QB? I'd like to see an advanced Scouts Inc analysis showing the average game a QB has when he's hit 16 times. My guess is more L's than W's & more INTs than TDs

Is it me or do poor routes, poor catching, and poor pass protection leading to 16 hits generally mean a miserable day for the QB? I'd like to see an advanced Scouts Inc analysis showing the average game a QB has when he's hit 16 times. My guess is more L's than W's & more INTs than TDs

Even on the plays he had time before he took a beating he was off. I'm not closing the book on his career but today was bad. It's ok to say he sucked this week.

The Bills dropped catchable passes. The Texans caught droppable passes.

(By the way, I predicted bad things on this board with the trade-up for Watkins. I am one of the few who opposed the move. He ain't Megatron or Andre Johnson, and IMHO not worth trading up for. In the NFL, a guy who "plays bigger than he really is" will not make plays like he did in college. For that matter, I was against the CJ Spiller pick. A guy who could use his speed in college to beat defenders by running wide will not get away with that in the NFL.)

Wait. Didn't you read Kellyto83's post? EJ had time to throw.

You watched a game where EJ had time? What universe are you in? The game the rest of us saw EJ was on his back within 2 or 3 seconds when he wasn't escaping the rush. The game the rest of us watched saw WRs drop multiple passes.

Again for those who live in another universe, and some of you do. I am not making excuses for EJ, he was terrible. Not sure if people are bad at reading comprehension or what but I clearly stated that more than once. Put down the Labatts and re read.

You can't stop the lynch mob. They are off and running and have the single point of failure identified.

since jimbo retired, the starting qb is the sole root cause of all problems. Of course once they bench him for the next guy then the next guy everyone is clamoring for sucks even more, gets rattled even worse because of the other contributors (WRs, oline and play calling) and spirals the team into a deeper disaster then ... well then another season slips away.

Ej was bad today- but at least he forced one downfield going for the win right?

You are 100% correct though. Line sucked and wr's dropped at least 5 balls that hit both hands.

This team has got themselves more than just a qb problem.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Why do rookie WR's not get a pass, but fake-rookie QB's do?

Please point out in this thread where I'm giving EJ a pass. I'll wait.

Seems to me like you asked why this offense, including a rookie WR, is getting a pass. Seems to me, most rookies get a pass when they have bad days. EJ got a pass as a rookie. You did not extend the pass quantifier to SWAT.

You're sure you never said or thought, "EJ's a rookie, it'll be okay."

I was always in the camp of not crusading against EJ, was more of the wait and see crowd. Watkins is on my $ list because of his admission of not trying last week. To come back the game after and drop three passes really gets under my skin. I've never looked at EJ and thought, "that kid isn't putting in the effort". Sammy came out an admitted he dogged it and then looks bad right after. Everyone want to say "the WRs have had it with EJ, that's why they're not trying" well if EJ had that attitude about the atrocity of an OL could you imagine the melt down people would have. So EJ playing poorly is no excuse for the WRs to do the same IMO.

A lot of fans are just getting predictable with the EJ crusade.

He didn't win. He wasn't great. Left some throws on the field. I think he played like a second year QB on the road against a D featuring the best player in the game.

We're 2-2, and you guys are making it seem like we are the damn Jaguars out there.

I was always in the camp of not crusading against EJ, was more of the wait and see crowd. Watkins is on my $ list because of his admission of not trying last week. To come back the game after and drop three passes really gets under my skin. I've never looked at EJ and thought, "that kid isn't putting in the effort". Sammy came out an admitted he dogged it and then looks bad right after. Everyone want to say "the WRs have had it with EJ, that's why they're not trying" well if EJ had that attitude about the atrocity of an OL could you imagine the melt down people would have. So EJ playing poorly is no excuse for the WRs to do the same IMO.

Do you think that Sammy played poorly for any other reason other than "rookie" reasons? If so, then I see your point. If not, he deserves a pass.

There are no two positions in sports more closely linked than QB and WR. If one is off, something bad can happen to both. Sammy is a great WR prospect, but he's not Calvin Johnson, he's not going to completely mask other problems because of his talent, especially not as a rookie.

Personally, I think EJ is having detrimental effects on his WR's. If you don't know if your QB is going to lead you, throw behind you, throw over your head, or throw at your feet, it makes it tougher to anticipate the ball, especially with defenders close by. It's no surprise that Watkins best game happened when he was 10 yards away from defenders every catch, allowing him to adjust to the ball.

Also, the WR position is notorious for me-first, selfish, and ego driven players. They are also completely reliant on another player. This phenomenally blaming/sulking/whatever, while unfair, is not uncommon.