Sammy admitted to taking a play off in the 4th qtr

YoloinOhio

Slightly. If it's a sign that the WRs know EJ's throws will get them killed then it could become an issue.

well, after floating an EJ throw to Goodwin that got him killed, I'd be careful if I were Watkins. Actually, I'm glad he is being careful. That first down is not worth loosing Watkins for an extended time. EJ may be on the bench in a week if his WR's don't trust him.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what he meant when he said "take the play off." If you look at the context of the statement, I think what he basically meant was that he was "off on that play"-- i.e., he made a mistake.

As others have said, it's kind of noble for him to say that when the mistake was on EJ for throwing the ball off target and about 1-2 seconds too soon.

That's not what he meant when he said "take the play off." If you look at the context of the statement, I think what he basically meant was that he was "off on that play"-- i.e., he made a mistake.

As others have said, it's kind of noble for him to say that when the mistake was on EJ for throwing the ball off target and about 1-2 seconds too soon.

so because I don't remember the play, this part is not correct?

"Part of the setback falls on Watkins' shoulders. On a second-and-7 play on the Bills' final drive of the game, Manuel delivered an accurate pass to where Watkins should have been, but the rookie receiver clearly let up on his route as he faced oncoming defenders from the secondary. "

I don't remember it, it seems like everyone else is saying it was somehow going to kill him to make the catch.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm sure Marrone appreciates Sammy taking heat off him

"Part of the setback falls on Watkins' shoulders. On a second-and-7 play on the Bills' final drive of the game, Manuel delivered an accurate pass to where Watkins should have been, but the rookie receiver clearly let up on his route as he faced oncoming defenders from the secondary. "

Sorry-- I was thinking of a different play. I thought he was referring to the play earlier in the 4th where Watkins was kind os streaking across the field, and EJ fired it over and behind him, before Watkins looked up.

On the play you were talking about, it probably was more on Watkins, but I would have to go back and look.

I don't remember it, it seems like everyone else is saying it was somehow going to kill him to make the catch.

I yelled at the TV for Sammy to "leave it" because he would have gotten killed.....for nothing.

Because it was to where Watkins "should have been" not where he was.

ok. I didn't understand the "EJ was going to get him killed anyway so why try to make the catch" sentiment. If he had been hurt on the play trying to make the catch, it would have been his own fault. At least he owned up to it.

Kelvin Benjamin didn't take any plays off, down by 4 TDs. We drafted the wrong WR.

I've been thinking the same. Not that Sammy is bad, but perhaps a 6'5" target would have been better suited given EJ's accuracy issues. Plus they could have traded DOWN, picked up another pick, AND kept next year's first.

Edited by PastaJoe

I've been thinking the same. Not that Sammy is bad, but perhaps a 6'5" target would have been better suited given EJ's accuracy issues. Plus they could have drafted DOWN, picked up another pick, AND kept next year's first.

perhaps, but I do know that KB had some character issues that made him drop. Maybe they never come to light and he has a great career. It was well known throughout the FOs.

Sammy will be fine. He admitted it was a mistake. And he admitted that it was his fault. That tells me that he is committed to winning and regrets not giving a better effort. It wasn't like the plays you used to see out of whimps like Randy Moss who would take plays off all the time.