SD win was impressive last week but weather had plenty to do with it

I went and looked at the average highs in Seattle during football season, coming up with 56.75 degrees. Seattle traveled to San Diego last weekend & watched the game, the field temperature was ~120 degrees. That's more than double the average Seattle regular season temperature & obviously put Seattle at a great disadvantage being from a much cooler climate. The Chargers also went ahead during the hottest part of the day & then no one did as much in the second half.

So just to be clear here, last week was a extreme weather scenario that really favored San Diego as the warm weather team.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I've heard this story already, and I think most people are using it as an excuse for Seattle losing.

The Chargers win over the Seahawks was legitimate, and we should be on alert, because the Chargers are a very good team.

But on the flip side, people said the same thing about Miami beating New England.

We need to not worry about the weather.....even the fan noise......this team needs to go out and play THEIR game.....

It has an identity...it needs to stick to it......if they do that the Chargers wont be able to handle it

The Chargers aren't exactly used to playing in 120 degree heat either. It's generally 90s or so around the stadium at the start of the season, dropping to about 60-70 by the end of the season.

its been pretty damn hot down here Dork

I agree the weather had an impact on the outcome of the SD - SEA game. Wasn't the complete reason, but a reason.

That said, considering that SD played the World Champs and won + 120 degree heat + the SEA was the second straight very physical game SD played + traveling East + BUF - SD Start time of 1:00PM. Those things add up and will help the Bills. I am trending towards BUF pulling out a close victory.

We need to not worry about the weather.....even the fan noise......this team needs to go out and play THEIR game.....

It has an identity...it needs to stick to it......if they do that the Chargers wont be able to handle it

its been pretty damn hot down here Dork

I used to live in La Mesa, I remember the summers getting pretty spicy some years... but that game on Sunday was definitely record setting :o

These theories that the heat, in summer, affects certain teams more than others, bsed only on where that team is from seem pretty bogus.

Most of these were born and raised likely played college ball in the Southeast, the South, or Southwest/SoCal. Because a team calls Seattle its home doesn't intuitively make its players more susceptible to hot weather in the summer. Likewise, players who call SD (where average September highs are only in the mid to upper 70's) their home have no physiological acclimation advantage over other teams.

The heat affects everyone equally.

I might be wrong, and I don't claim to know anything about the material, but doesn't it seem like Seattle's jerseys are of a very dense fabric? It just looks like it's not as breathable as the the average NFL jersey. Denver's look that way as well, and so did our putrid pinstripe jerseys of the Drew Bledsoe days.

Seahawks looked like they were suffocating in that heat.

These theories that the heat, in summer, affects certain teams more than others, bsed only on where that team is from seem pretty bogus.

Most of these were born and raised likely played college ball in the Southeast, the South, or Southwest/SoCal. Because a team calls Seattle its home doesn't intuitively make its players more susceptible to hot weather in the summer. Likewise, players who call SD (where average September highs are only in the mid to upper 70's) their home have no physiological acclimation advantage over other teams.

I'm sorry, buddy, but this is false.

Find a SUNY Fredonia freshmen who grew up in Arizona and ask him/her how they're feeling around the first of November.

I actually dont agree with this

People acclimate to the place they are living in......when I was stationed in CA and moved to Cape Cod......I was freezing my butt off for a while but aclimated.....then was fine...then I moved back to Southern California and was sick on some days because of the heat...then aclimated and I was fine

I'm sorry, buddy, but this is false.

Find a SUNY Fredonia freshmen who grew up in Arizona and ask him/her how they're feeling around the first of November.

You are right, he is wrong. But your example kind of confirms his point? He's basically saying that a Seahawk who grew up in Alabama wouldn't have been very affected by the conditions last week, whereas a Charger from Alaska would have wilted.

Human beings can and do acclimate to their climate. The Alaskan Charger, assuming he stayed in the area all summer, is a lot better equipped to deal with extreme heat than the Alabaman Seahawk who spent the offseason working out in Seattle.

The Chargers aren't exactly used to playing in 120 degree heat either. It's generally 90s or so around the stadium at the start of the season, dropping to about 60-70 by the end of the season.

Bottom line is that the Chargers are a good team and the Bills need to play a solid game in order to have a chance to beat them.

I went and looked at the average highs in Seattle during football season, coming up with 56.75 degrees. Seattle traveled to San Diego last weekend & watched the game, the field temperature was ~120 degrees. That's more than double the average Seattle regular season temperature & obviously put Seattle at a great disadvantage being from a much cooler climate. The Chargers also went ahead during the hottest part of the day & then no one did as much in the second half.

So just to be clear here, last week was a extreme weather scenario that really favored San Diego as the warm weather team.

and now they have to travel all the way to Buffalo. They'll be so tired from the flight we'll crush them. :wallbash:

You are right, he is wrong. But your example kind of confirms his point? He's basically saying that a Seahawk who grew up in Alabama wouldn't have been very affected by the conditions last week, whereas a Charger from Alaska would have wilted.

Human beings can and do acclimate to their climate. The Alaskan Charger, assuming he stayed in the area all summer, is a lot better equipped to deal with extreme heat than the Alabaman Seahawk who spent the offseason working out in Seattle.

Ha, okay, sure. A more nuanced analogy is a more accurate one, I suppose. BUT, my point remains, a person WILL perceive weather they're not accustom to more so than those who are.

Let me extrapolate my analogy further. That same Arizonian, come December, will head home for winter break and be stymied once again, this time by the heat.

Bodies do adapt. And it doesn't take them long.

You're right, a Floridian playing in Anchorage will lose his warm-weather affinities QUICK.

I actually dont agree with this

People acclimate to the place they are living in......when I was stationed in CA and moved to Cape Cod......I was freezing my butt off for a while but aclimated.....then was fine...then I moved back to Southern California and was sick on some days because of the heat...then aclimated and I was fine

Right, but I'd bet you were living those places full time - I think Weo is arguing that until 7 weeks ago sherman probably spent his offseason in LA, and may have done substantial training in the heat as recent as July (and some teams of course do camp at destinations). He grew up in Southern California too.

The days of 53 players being from and living in their home teams city are long gone and to a degree reduces the effects of weather being disproportionate.

Edited by NoSaint