Does the 2011 5-2 start temper your enthusiasm this year?

BuffaloBill

In Chan Gailey's last couple years, the Bills were a handful of plays from being 9-7 or even 10-6. I remember being thankful in a way that they weren't, because we would have kept Chan in charge. He clearly was not the man to get us to the promised land.

I have no illusions about this week's game. I will sit with the same Bills Backers I've been with for years, and we will scream for the team. If we win, we will all leave wondering when the other shoe will drop. If we lose, we will leave thinking that the other shoe just dropped.

And we will come back for more. God, I hope we win.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're referring to 2008 when the Bills started 4-0, then Edwards got his clock cleaned at Arizona, they recovered to beat SD and go 5-1, but then lost 6 or 7 in a row. They never looked like a dominant team early, and Edwards was never the same.

2011 was when they had the comebacks against Oakland and the Pats* to go 3-0, lost at Cincy, beat Philly, lost to the Giants, beat Washington in Toronto, and then collapsed. While the early season wins were incredibly exciting, again, you saw plenty of chinks in the armor and the roster was paper thin. The Giants game in particular irritated me, as Fitz threw two horrible picks because he couldn't get the ball deep enough to open receivers.

I'm not predicting any sort of W-L record for the current Bills, but thus far the blueprint for these Ws is markedly different and a full team effort. This team doesn't feel like either of those previous "hot starting" teams. I believe the last Bills team to really "fool" me was the one that beat the Pats* 31-0 on opening day. After they won the following week in Jacksonville I was ready to proclaim "Super Bowl contender!" And then they had Travis Henry throw a HB option pass in the red zone at Miami. :doh:

You are correct Sir, and thanks for pointing that out! In my haste, I twisted my recollection....but on all accounts: agreed!!

I think your getting your years confused... Trent Edwards was the 2008 season where they started 4-0 then went to Arizona for game 5 and Edwards got killed.

2011 was Fitzy and the Bills did go 5-2 before imploding.

Crap you are right they blended together....

What a great week for the Bills but I suspect there might even be more fandemonium if it were not for the 2011 collapse.

Forget the useless stuff like matchups, roster quality and how we are winning.

2008, 2011 (2008+3) and now 2014 (2011+3). It is this numerology that has me tempering my enthusiasm.

No. This team is far more talented, but that's not the only reason.

No, because I was at the Chargers power outage(pissfest) game that made us 5-1, and I saw what I think the rest of the NFL saw: Fool's Gold. Even a man at his first NFL game saw it: We should have lost that game, and if it had lasted another quarter, we would have. Kawika Mitchell made an INT in our end zone to save our asses.

See, the thing is, I ended up sitting nxt to this very polite(mostly because he was scared schitless of Bills fans/stories he had heard about us), English fellow who had never seen an NFL game before, and asked me to explain what was happening.

He learned quickly. Quickly enough, and from an objective point of view, he began pointing out that the Bills weren't doing what I said they were "supposed" to do. Much to my annoyance: He was right. In fact, at the end of the game, he told me "you got lucky there, didn't you?" I had no choice but to agree.

I will always remember that game for the pee stains on too many Bills fans shorts/pants. Going into the pitch dark bathroom was like stepping into a piss paintball game. But I will also remember it because of the English "lucid eye" and his observations. I didn't want to admit any of this at the time, however, I still bought the Engish guy a beer at the Big Tree. But, looking back on it now....he was right.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Speaking of 2011 Who just happens to be the 2nd highest rated QB 2 weeks into the 2014 season with a astounding 118.4 rating?

Yep.. that guy.

[un]fortunately, we've seen that story. It never lasts. Fitzy had something like 12 TDs after three weeks in 2011.

I heard on the radio this morning that we have started 2-0 a total of 6 times since 2000 and have not once made the playoffs. So, I am not getting overly excited by this quality start to the season. Lots of football left.

That sad, more than 2/3 of the teams that start 2-0 do make the playoffs, so we are heading in the right direction.

I read a 2-0 start = 63.2% chance of making the playoffs. The odds of missing the playoffs in 7 straight 2-0 starts would be 0.09%. That gives them a 99.9% chance of making the playoffs!