AP could be traded; UPDATE: will be active week 3,more allegations

YoloinOhio

Flip side is abuse victims and parents of abuse victims may be far more hesitant to get help for fear of losing their meal ticket.

I don't deny it's a complicated issue.

morality tales have existed for years with decent results.

So has good parenting--I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think the buck stops with the NFL when it comes to the behavior of the general public.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you stopped beating your kids because of the AP case? Or did you reach your own conclusion without the moral guidance of the Vikes?

No he never beat his kids before the AP case, but there really wasn't any guiding principle or reason for not beating his kids. Now that the Vikings have addressed the situation, but addressed it inadequately, he is more likely to test the waters. Go cut birddog a switch. A small one. Just to see how it goes.

Human beings simply do not know how to behave in polite society without rulings from the NFL. Its nothing short of miraculous that people have managed to cohabitate for millennia prior to the NFL-AFL merger and personal conduct policy.

So has good parenting--I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think the buck stops with the NFL when it comes to the behavior of the general public.

i'm not saying that the buck stops with the nfl either but pop culture plays a significant role in many people's development. i'd argue that the nfl is every bit as powerful in that regard as disney movies and pop music stars albeit to different demographics. trends and cultural norms are to a significant degree set by these, well, trend setters. look at the concept of female beauty for example. it's very changeable and subjective and influenced by tastes often defined by artists or powerful people of the time. Edited by birdog1960

i'm not saying that the buck stops with the nfl either but pop culture plays a significant role in many people's development. i'd argue that the nfl is every bit as powerful in that regard as disney movies and pop music stars albeit to different demographics. trends and cultural norms are to a significant degree set by these, well, trend setters. look at the concept of female beauty for example. it's very changeable and subjective and influenced by tastes often defined by artists or powerful people of the time.

Do I have to start keeping a list of questions you're avoiding?

Also, laws that have been on the books for years are equal to completely subjective "standards of beauty." I don't know about you birddog, but artists and powerful people don't control when it moves a little during a Victoria's Secret commercial.

Edited by FireChan

Do I have to start keeping a list of questions you're avoiding?

Also, laws that have been on the books for years are equal to completely subjective "standards of beauty." I don't know about you birddog, but artists and powerful people don't control when it moves a little during a Victoria's Secret commercial.

rubens painting were the victoria's secrets catalogs of the past. i'm sure they have moved many.

i'm not saying that the buck stops with the nfl either but pop culture plays a significant role in many people's development. i'd argue that the nfl is every bit as powerful in that regard as disney movies and pop music stars albeit to different demographics. trends and cultural norms are to a significant degree set by these, well, trend setters. look at the concept of female beauty for example. it's very changeable and subjective and influenced by tastes often defined by artists or powerful people of the time.

So you're using the Spiderman argument. With great power comes great responsibility [to shape cultural morality according birddog1960's priorities.]

Was that an op-ed sponsored by the American Association of Psychiatrists?

Surprised this thread hasn't been punted to PPP.

I actually know the author. Good guy but I will be asking him what the hell he's thinking next time I see him.

Can we all let out a hearty laugh on Nike condemning AP? The company built on child labor? What's next, slave owners condemning Gulag work camps?

Absolutely.

Yes many of us got the belt as kids but I'm not sure about anyone else but I was never left with welts and cuts and blood from it

CBF

Sounds like your pops could've benefited from some quality time with the Shake Weight. Its never too early to start thinking about Christmas gifts.

Can we all let out a hearty laugh on Nike condemning AP? The company built on child labor? What's next, slave owners condemning Gulag work camps?

Just as soon as these companies like Nike and Anheuser-Busch come out and condemn the NFL ...they are inviting all kinds of dirt to be dug up on their companies and employees. That's what the press and bloggers will do. I hope they vetted themselves and are squeaky clean across the board.

Yes many of us got the belt as kids but I'm not sure about anyone else but I was never left with welts and cuts and blood from it

CBF

Adrian made a mistake, went overboard, and will pay accordingly. Nothing really to see here, other than, "The NFL should send a message that something something is morally wrong!" as if a conviction doesn't send that message.

I do enjoy the ethnocentrism here though. "My culture is better than your culture! Why? Because my culture says so!"

Just as soon as these companies like Nike and Anheuser-Busch come out and condemn the NFL ...they are inviting all kinds of dirt to be dug up on their companies and employees. That's what the press and bloggers will do. I hope they vetted themselves and are squeaky clean across the board.

They never are. He who is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone. The best part is Nike's immoral practices are so well-documented, it's almost common knowledge. Yet, here we are debating AP punishing his kid with the intent to benefit his child, while Nike works thousands of children in sweatshops for a nickel. If only there was a video!