AP could be traded; UPDATE: will be active week 3,more allegations

YoloinOhio

I think my biggest issue with any of this, AP, RR etc is when people feel that the employer (team or league), shouldn't have a say about this persons job. The league isn't something like working at Joe's Hot dog stand, it's a multi billion dollar corporation with some of the most highly visible employees on the planet. To allow them to continue to serve in that role (while committing crimes etc), sets an awful view for young athletes that shows that we don't care about the human side of things, if you can throw/run/catch a football really well, you can make millions of dollars in a career doing that even though you're a scumbag human being.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm a product of a family tree that looks like an M.C. Escher sketch. It's a top priority for me to make sure my daughter doesn't have to ever deal with that split custody, step-parents crap, with constant family awkwardness and holidays that become a burden, etc...

If I can accomplish that one thing, I'll count my life a success.

Thats a great goal. :thumbsup:

If that's a response to me you should re-read the exchange above.

No, I was referring to the backlash I've been reading and hearing in many places charging that the negative reaction to the beatings amounts to political correctness or a lynch-mob mentality. Maybe that's what we call widespread responses that we don't like. But I like to think that virtually all of us can agree on some things, like beating a 4-year old bloody is wrong.

I think my biggest issue with any of this, AP, RR etc is when people feel that the employer (team or league), shouldn't have a say about this persons job. The league isn't something like working at Joe's Hot dog stand, it's a multi billion dollar corporation with some of the most highly visible employees on the planet. To allow them to continue to serve in that role (while committing crimes etc), sets an awful view for young athletes that shows that we don't care about the human side of things, if you can throw/run/catch a football really well, you can make millions of dollars in a career doing that even though you're a scumbag human being.

Yup. If you have a high profile job with any company, you better believe you'll be out of a job if you are arrested for punching your wife's lights out or beating your kid.

@ProFootballTalk: Minnesota governor calls on Vikings to suspend Adrian Peterson http://wp.me/p14QSB-9zBZ

Interesting that the head of the state government is passing the buck to the team. Shameless pandering? You decide.

If only MN had some way to punish criminal behavior they wouldn't be at the mercy of the team. Maybe the governor could encourage the legislature to take that up.

It's not that the employer shouldn't have a say, it's that the public shouldn't expect it. Businesses don't punish unrelated behavior on moral grounds, they do it solely for the purpose of protecting image. The public demand that the league act according to some moral code is convoluted at best and is essentially demanding that the league be disingenuous in its handling of these matters.

Interesting that the head of the state government is passing the buck to the team. Shameless pandering? You decide.

If only MN had some way to punish criminal behavior they wouldn't be at the mercy of the team. Maybe the governor could encourage the legislature to take that up.

It's not that the employer shouldn't have a say, it's that the public shouldn't expect it. Businesses don't punish unrelated behavior on moral grounds, they do it solely for the purpose of protecting image. The public demand that the league act according to some moral code is convoluted at best and is essentially demanding that the league be disingenuous in its handling of these matters.

On that note I don't disagree. It's become that way with Social media being what it is, that if someone in the public feels they are wronged, if they take it to social media they will get their way, so in that regard I agree. In this case, I feel there are folks in the Vikings ownership and front office that have a lack of a moral compass and now they'll deal with unending pressure from the public to do what they should be doing to begin with

untrue. it's often done to protect society. how would you feel if us air let an alcoholic pilot slide?

On that note I don't disagree. It's become that way with Social media being what it is, that if someone in the public feels they are wronged, if they take it to social media they will get their way, so in that regard I agree. In this case, I feel there are folks in the Vikings ownership and front office that have a lack of a moral compass and now they'll deal with unending pressure from the public to do what they should be doing to begin with

That's the crux of it all. I don't understand why anyone would claim they had a moral duty in the first place. Even if they did, who would the duty be to?

Also, whose morality are they to apply and how do they determine what would be the most moralistic penalty?

untrue. it's often done to protect society. how would you feel if us air let an alcoholic pilot slide?

It still goes to protecting their business. Only a fool would argue it was done as punishment for moral purposes.

Edited by Rob's House

No, I was referring to the backlash I've been reading and hearing in many places charging that the negative reaction to the beatings amounts to political correctness or a lynch-mob mentality. Maybe that's what we call widespread responses that we don't like. But I like to think that virtually all of us can agree on some things, like beating a 4-year old bloody is wrong.

this. john oliver does a bit on this during this week's show. he references sources on the ray rice case imploring people to think how they would feel if a family member were hit like this. then oliver comedically asks why the act itself isn't enough to outrage people without invoking that link. it's a very good question.

this. john oliver does a bit on this during this week's show. he references sources on the ray rice case imploring people to think how they would feel if a family member were hit like this. then oliver comedically asks why the act itself isn't enough to outrage people without invoking that link. it's a very good question.

Wonderful. Let's appeal to the least rational impulses of people and encourage them to act on them.

That's the crux of it all. I don't understand why anyone would claim they had a moral duty in the first place. Even if they did, who would the duty be to?

Also, whose morality are they to apply and how do they determine what would be the most moralistic penalty?

It still goes to protecting their business. Only a fool would argue it was done as punishment for moral purposes.

wow. i thought i was cynical re american business. this is truly sad. do you really believe airline executives wouldn't care if passengers were harmed if it didn't affect their profits? how do you get up in the morning? do you not recognize any redemptive attributes in your fellow humans? Edited by birdog1960

wow. i thought i was cynical re american business. this is truly sad. do you really believe airline executives wouldn't care if passengers were harmed if it didn't effect their profits? how do you get up in the morning? do you not recognize any redemptive attributes in your fellow humans?

Now you're just trying to confuse the issue. I'm not arguing that they wouldn't care if people were harmed, but that's not remotely related to what we're talking about. We're talking about punishment. Try to stay on point.

Edit: Interesting how you reverted to your typical fall back of claiming moral high ground wen you have nothing of substance to offer.

Edited by Rob's House

Now you're just trying to confuse the issue. I'm not arguing that they wouldn't care if people were harmed, but that's not remotely related to what we're talking about. We're talking about punishment. Try to stay on point.

doesn't morality encompass concern for other people?

doesn't morality encompass concern for other people?

Again, we're talking about punishment. Not sure what you don't get about that. Your analogy is nonsensical.

Preventing a drunk pilot from flying and thus putting passengers in harm's way is not categorically similar to preventing a football player from playing because he did something bad.