What about Russ Brandon?

montanafan

With new ownership, what role will Russ Brandon play in the new regime? A proven brilliant marketing guy, Ralph moved him into management. Under his watch for the past nearly ten years, Buffalo has consistently had losing seasons, due to poor management and poor coaching selections.

If I own the team, I pay Russ Brandon very well to continue being the marketing guy. Then I bring in someone new to run the team and make football related decisions.

FWIW I keep Whaley and Doug Marrone.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly like Russ I just think when you have had the lack of success we have had the past 15 years everyone needs to be called into questions. Its one of those things that I wouldn't be terribly sorry to see him go but wouldn't be upset if he was kept either.

One of the things I do like is how into it he is, hearing about him shoving people into lockers when we beat the Bears (for some is a negative) is a positive to me because I like when there is an emotional reward as well as monetary with winning. He wants to win and hopefully we have finally found a way to do it.

With new ownership, what role will Russ Brandon play in the new regime? A proven brilliant marketing guy, Ralph moved him into management. Under his watch for the past nearly ten years, Buffalo has consistently had losing seasons, due to poor management and poor coaching selections.

If I own the team, I pay Russ Brandon very well to continue being the marketing guy. Then I bring in someone new to run the team and make football related decisions.

So keep Whaley and Brandon but get a new guy to do their jobs....hmmm

Why does anyone care if Russ is good or bad at marketing? You are not a shareholder, you are a fan.

Russ Brandon has done a terrible job as head of the organization if you are interested in winning.

I think that Russ Brandon is history. I like the guy, feel loyal to him for taking care of Mr. Wilson's team, and I appreciate what he's done to keep crowds in The Ralph. However, I suspect that one of the conversations the Pegulas have had over coffee while waiting to hear about their bid is who to bring in to oversee the operation. You don't keep a warmed-over CEO or president if you are trying to change the culture. He might be around for a year or two while the Pegulas get settled, but then he's gone. Brandon could land with another NFL team in a bigger market as an EVP, or head to the NFL offices.

Doug Whaley is a tricky one. I like him, too, and I think that he has made some pretty ballsy decisions. However, I think the other conversation the Pegulas were having over coffee while deciding what to wear for their official coming out at the Ralph on Sunday is what kind of high-powered, proven NFL GM they can bring in. It's great that their goal is a Super Bowl. Good for us fans, and good for the day when they start shopping around their downtown stadium for naming rights. Corporations are going to put their name on a winning product. The Pegulas have a handful of years to make that happen--but not that many. Big name GM = big name coach (see below) = experience/wins/ability to attract high-profile FAs = winning product.

Saint Doug's tenure is entirely dependent on his W-L performance. If he gets the Bills to the post-season, he probably gets another season. If he doesn't come in with a winning record, he's toast. If he comes in under .500, he may not be here when we're eating turkey and stuffing.

Summary: If the Pegulas make changes, they are going to be dramatic and not just moving the same pieces around yet again. They are going to bring in big names and make a splash, which will get the ball rolling toward a string of playoff-bound seasons and ultimately (hopefully!), a Super Bowl victory.

^ This

The question is: do you think he had the final football say when Gailey and his predecessors were hired? I choose to believe that Ralph was making these calls more than Brandon.

If you're like me, the main thing you get to accuse Brandon of is promoting Whaley and the hiring of Marrone. While three weeks ago, the hiring of Marrone looked questionable; a year ago, you could see the reasoning.

I back Brandon staying in place, as some form of 'president' 'chief executive' running the business side, with a director of Football type who answers less to him and more to the owners and fans. (not sure if this is Whaley, but Whaley I think deserves a shout)

Edited by beerfriday

If it were me, I would proceed through the year and get to know these guys and make a decision after the season.

As for Russ, he was instrumental in making sure that a day like yesterday actually happened.

The Bills have done reasonably well financially and his involvement in the non relocation clause and convincing the NFL owners to accept it deserve all of our respect. He also has increased the team's market through regionalization. stp.

Without the non relocation clause, who knows whether there would have been other bidders intending on moving the team. We know that approximately 60 packages went out to potential bidders at the beginning of the process. The non relocation clause scared enough of them away including that very wealthy guy (whose name escapes me and who wants to locate a team in LA) from even bidding.

Russ is a local guy who deserves all of our gratitude and respect for doing what he could to make sure that the team stays in Buffalo. I will never understand why so many people here want to get rid of him.

Just my two cents.

It wouldn't shock me to see these two guys have now become "trust babies" thanks to RW. Essentionally think of it as a pension.

Overdorf - dead

Littman - dead

Niedermeyer.......

So who exactly are you suggesting for GM. Where are all these proven names flying around. Matt Millon is a big name and he's available. The only big name available GM's are guys out of football. Same goes for coaches. Everyone should stop this facination with Bill Cowler and similar names. Whaley is exactly the kind of guy you want as GM, a young guy who has made more good moves than bad in the past two seasons.

Doug Whaley is a tricky one. I like him, too, and I think that he has made some pretty ballsy decisions. However, I think the other conversation the Pegulas were having over coffee while deciding what to wear for their official coming out at the Ralph on Sunday is what kind of high-powered, proven NFL GM they can bring in. It's great that their goal is a Super Bowl. Good for us fans, and good for the day when they start shopping around their downtown stadium for naming rights. Corporations are going to put their name on a winning product. The Pegulas have a handful of years to make that happen--but not that many. Big name GM = big name coach (see below) = experience/wins/ability to attract high-profile FAs = winning product.

Summary: If the Pegulas make changes, they are going to be dramatic and not just moving the same pieces around yet again. They are going to bring in big names and make a splash, which will get the ball rolling toward a string of playoff-bound seasons and ultimately (hopefully!), a Super Bowl victory.

With TP owning two teams, he likely will need a strong active president to run things as he won't likely have the time to follow up on all the details. I can't think of a better person for that role than Russ. I don't follow the Sabres enough to know, but likely will need a similar person there too if he doesn't already have one in place.

I'd give everyone the remainder of the season and then reassess. Make the playoffs and everyone is probably good. Miss the playoffs but show some improvement on the field and everyone is probably good. Go 6-10 or worse: Marrone is gone, bring in a football man to lead the football operation and Brandon runs the business side. Whaley staying would be up to whoever is running the football side. I think Brandon had a great deal to do with regionalizing the team and improving the business side. If Brandon was agreeable to staying under those changes, I would try to keep him no matter what the record.