Sabres Fans - What can we expect from Pegula?

Virgil

2 being the biggest part of what we'll see that is different than if someone else won the bid.

Do enough of the little things right and eventually the big things should be done right as well. (Haven't seen that to fruition w/ the Sabres yet, but do expect them to perennially be strong after 1-2 more bad years. The foundation is getting built.)

I'd also expect them to do due dilligence on Brandon - Whaley - Marrone. And I expect them to be given a chance under the new ownership (IMHO they've earned a chance to show the new bosses what they can do), but if any of the 3 don't have a plan and they don't perform, they'll be gone. I am very much so looking forward to Littman and Overdorf bowing out of the picture.

Agree all around. I doubt that Pegula knows himself what he is going to do with Marrone. I will bet anything that Brandon stays, and I will bet anyone that Whaley stays. If they show progress, which has started at least for one week, I imagine Marrone will get a third year (it's possible that Whaley or Brandon get sick of Marrone and they are the ones that behind closed doors that they will make a change, but I HIGHLY doubt that).

It will be nice that Littman and Overdorf will be gone in all likelihood. I have lambasted them endlessly over the years. But they were just good soldiers carrying out their general's wishes, like Brandon was. Under Pegula, they would not be under the same restrictions or have the same marching orders, so they may make different decisions.

That said, I never wanted non-football guys making any football decisions, and to some degree they did, deciding to some degree what players were worth what. I will be thrilled when that is not part of the equation, and very likely Whaley will have virtually all say in what players are getting paid.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I know there are other threads about him winning the bid and being happy they are staying in Buffalo.

As we've seen with Jerry Jones and other owners, the owner can absolutely shape the atmosphere of a team. I'm not a hockey or Sabres fan. For those of you who are, what kind of owner should we expect?

Is he going to try to shake things up just to put his stamp on it? For example, changing the uniforms, hiking ticket prices, selling the stadium naming rights, etcl...

Just curious

He highly respects the tradition and past of the Sabres. He nearly broke down in tears when he held a press conference with the French Connection. He told Gilbert Perrault that he's "his hero." He's like a very, very rich fan. You old-timers that are banging the drum to get Lou Saban on the Wall of Fame might get your wish.

Spending money will NOT be an issue. If anything he probably over-hyped himself and the Sabres with "Cup talk" after he bought the team.

This old article is required reading.

In other words, Pegula had a plan, it didn't work. Then he came up with another plan. It didn't work. Now, there's a whole new plan and everyone is sure that this one has to work! WIley Coyote? Ah yes. Genius. Super genius.

Actually, he's still in the midst of the second plan, but don't let that get in your way.

First plan was going all in with the team he bought and bringing in high priced vets because the thinking was they were on the verge. Second plan was to blow everything up and start rebuilding from scratch. In the middle of executing the second plan, he & his top brass realized that the guys he had in charge weren't good enough to bring the plan to fruition.

The moves were methodical & calculated, unlike how the Bills have been run for much of their history.

Marrone/Whaley's jobs lie with Manuel. I think Terry sticks with them if Manuel demonstrates solid consistency throughout the season. Otherwise I see him cleaning house and starting fresh.

I respectfully disagree. Marrone/Whaley's jobs lie with the Won Loss record. EJ can play as consistently as he wants, but if we still lose, Coach Marrone and Doug Whaley are outta here. Conversely if EJ doesn't play inconsistently but we win 9 games, they'll probably be able to stay. As always, IMHO.

This is the best-case possible scenario...either get on board, or find another team to root for.

The team is staying, that is all that should matter. But, Terry Pegula will do right by the fans of Buffalo, with both teams...as priority #1 is to win. He has plenty of money, this is not a business move to make more money...this is to win a Super Bowl.

That is the bottom line, and all that should matter right now, today.

"If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well." - Terry Pegula

(On whether he'll spend to the player salary cap, "We'll put the pedal to the metal as capably as we can," he said. "I don't know if it's wise to spend to the cap every year. But we're not in this to save money, that's for sure.")

As someone else pointed out, this is worth a read today...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6147411

Edited by Bob Malooga

In other words, Pegula had a plan, it didn't work. Then he came up with another plan. It didn't work. Now, there's a whole new plan and everyone is sure that this one has to work! WIley Coyote? Ah yes. Genius. Super genius.

Hope he has a real world plan for the Bills. It should be no more difficult than this: find the best coach, QB, and personnel man/men/women money can buy and follow the Patriot's blueprint. The end

Just like that, bingo bango bongo! LOL.

GO BILLS!!!

Simply put, MONEY will never be an issue to get something done. While it doesn't guarantee success, it certainly removes an obstacle. If we have smart football people managing the team, they will be given everything they need that money can buy to succeed at their jobs.

As has been said in a number of other threads, Pegula initially threw a lot of money at the Sabres, in the hopes that it'd translate into wins. Think Villie Leino and Christian Ehrhoff. He then doubled down on Darcy only to find out that he was one of the problems. The whole LaFontaine thing was pretty bizarre too.

I think he realized his mistakes and has them on the right path. Build through the draft, get a good group of core players, pay them if they're good. Supplement that with some solid FA signings once that core is together. I've been happy with Murray so far and I think he was a good choice for GM.

With respect to the Bills... I think he leaves the current administration in place to the end of the season. I think Russ is canned no matter what, but Marrone/Whaley's jobs lie with Manuel. I think Terry sticks with them if Manuel demonstrates solid consistency throughout the season. Otherwise I see him cleaning house and starting fresh.

Gr8 analysis.

This make me IN and I get to thank you for your post... :-)