Worst Draft In Bills History

It's depressing isn't it? This is the crap people talk about right before the season owner?

Man, if Rachel would have went out with me in 3rd grade, my life would be so much better. Damn. :(

If Rachel hadn't seen you pick your nose and eat your boogers you might have had a chance. BTW, do you still breath through your mouth when you eat?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one with JOHN McCARGO was a pretty bad draft too, although I'm too lazy to look it up.

The overall ineptness of the BILLS to draft well in the 2000's really made this club dogcrap for so many years. Just brutal!

You are thinking of the 2006 draft.

1 8 Donte Whitner, SS

1 26 John McCargo, DT

3 70 Ashton Youboty, CB

4 105 Ko Simpson, FS

5 134 Kyle Williams, DT

5 143 Brad Butler, T

6 178 Keith Ellison, OLB

7 216 Terrace Pennington, T

7 248, Aaron Merz, G

The main benefit from that draft was Kyle Williams. He was worth much more than everything else from it put together. It's also worth noting that even though Donte Whitner didn't come close to living up to his lofty draft position, he was reasonably proficient in run stopping, and is considered a respectable starter.

There is no question that (other than Kyle Williams), the 2006 draft was extremely disappointing. But this franchise has had a lot of bad drafts; some of which have been worse than 2006's.

hate to say it, but in a few years we might look back and say 2014 was the worst because of what we had to give up

1. Watkins - needs to be a pro bowler soon otherwise this pick was a bust

2. Kouandjo - already a bust, was lucky to even make the team

3. Preston Brown - might be an ok pick, we'll have to wait and see

4. Cockrell - hasn't shown anything, lucky to make the team

5. Richardson - they were hoping he could beat out Pears but couldn't do it

6. Johnson - who?

7. Henderson - might be the steal of the draft and this draft's saving grace. made up for Kouandjo pick

Sammy Morris was a great player and should've been kept. I believe he earned a Super Bowl ring or 2 with the Pats. Edit-ok no rings, but still a very solid player and super nice guy (he gave me an autographed card when I noticed him at Blockbuster video.)

Edited by mountainwampus

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FAN-BASE? It's becoming embarrassing. Talk about beaten dog syndrome.

I think you mean battered wife syndrome but it actually refers to one who willingly takes abuse from someone, or in this case something(Bills) that they care about because they don't know or feel deserving of better.

Which has been the very definition of a Bills optimist.......during the offseason of course. Usually sometime in October y'all move back in with your mother and swear you deserve better..........BUT DEEP DOWN YOU KNOW YOU DON'T! You are Ralph's b*tches so you crawl back and stand by your man lest you get a slap! Even in death Ralph's pimp hand is strong among you.

Seriously.....try getting your analogies right. :doh:

People who complain about poor performance simply do not feel they deserve to be subjected to it. You want to call that complaining or whining then that's up to you, but beaten dog syndrome? Gimme a break. It's not like people have expected bad things from this team and they have done otherwise for the past 14 years........hence, "realist".

What about the 2005 draft. Without a first round pick (JP Losman 2014) this is what we came up with.

2 5 Roscoe Parrish WR

3 86 Kevin Everett TE

4 122 Duke Preston C

5 156 Eric King CB

6 197 Justin Geisinger OG

7 236 Lionel Gates RB

Edited by TraumaGuy860

My handle kind of gives away the fact that I started following the team in 1964. So I've spent 50 years with the good and the bad, and I always return optimistic for the next season. Looking back on one of that particular draft might make you feel better about more recent drafts, even with a clunker or two in every draft.

Welcome aboard old timer. Nice to have an long time fan posting. I started watching the Bills in 1962 went to my first game in 1965. However our old time status doesn't necessary earn you any respect on this board. Seems to be a lot of cyber bullies on here. Their attitude is that you shouldn't start a thread if you don't have 1000+ posts. I think some people forget that a message board is for opinion & debate. I use to post out here years ago & dropped out. Recently got back on, but not sure if I'll stay long. Good luck, be careful not to make a stupid post.

What about the 2005 draft. Without a first round pick (JP Losman 2014) this is what we came up with.

2 5 Roscoe Parrish WR

3 86 Kevin Everett TE

4 122 Duke Preston C

5 156 Eric King CB

6 197 Justin Geisinger OG

7 236 Lionel Gates RB

At first I was going to disagree with you. Granted, the Bills got nothing from the 2005 draft. But the most valuable asset from the 2005 draft--the first round pick--had already been squandered back in 2004. So you could argue that the 2005 draft was less bad than the draft of 2000; because the latter draft involved the squandering of all the picks, including the first rounder.

But then it occurred to me: there's another way to look at the 2005 draft. You could argue that the Bills did have a first round pick--a pick which was used to acquire part of Losman. (With the second round pick from 2004 having been used to acquire the other part.) If you think of the first round pick from 2005 as having been used to acquire half of Losman, then the 2005 draft looks every bit as bad as the draft from 2000. And that's bad. Really bad! :sick:

If judged by opportunity cost (the analytically correct way), then 2011 was pretty bad. Looking at who we could have drafted per round, you get:

Rd 1: Marcel Dareus cost -----> AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Robert Quinn, among others

Rd 2: Aaron Williams cost -----> Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, among others

Rd 3: Kelvin Sheppard cost -----> Justin Houston, Demarco Murray, and anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 4: Da'Norris Searcy cost ----->Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas ... either of which shores up our TE position

Rd 5: Johnny White cost -----> Richard Sherman ... wow .... and anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 6: Chris White/ traded for Thad Lewis cost -----> anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 7: Justin Rogers cost -----> anyone still on active NFL roster

Rd 7: Mike Jasper cost -----> nothing, no one still on NFL roster

Viewed this way 2011 was a very costly draft

Dareus is not that much worse than the guys you mentioned and he filled a huge need. Williams has been awesome since the move to safety. Sheppard was traded for Jerry Hughes. That's a net of 3 pro-bowl level players plus a solid starter in Searcy. If you look at teams' whole drafts instead of just picking out players that turned out to be better than people thought, I'd say we had one of the strongest drafts of 2011.

Worst draft in Bills history? That's easy - 2015.

Seriously though, the 1982 draft was retched.

Perry Tuttle

WR

Clemson

Matt Kofler

QB

San Diego State

Eugene Marve

LB

Saginaw Valley

Van Williams

RB

Carson-Newman

DeWayne Chivers

TE

South Carolina

Gary Anderson

PK

Syracuse

Luc Tousignant

QB

Fairmont State

Dennis Edwards

DT

USC

Vic James

DB

Colorado

Frank Kalil

OG

Arizona

Tony Suber

DT

Gardner-Webb

Half of these guys went to colleges that nobody's ever heard of. Not to mention a WR from Clemson in the first round. How many future draft picks did that cost us?

Most here have been putting forth defensible statistics to back up their respective selections for "Worst Draft in Bills History". I won't. I'm going to stick with 2002, simply because it was early in the era of those god-awful Titan-esque clown uniforms that Gregg Williams brought over. Talk about futility. I wince when I think back to the early part of the last decade. A bunch of nobodies wearing clown suits, getting creamed by everyone from the Pats* to Mount Saint Mary's Sisters of the Blind. Painful.

You are thinking of the 2006 draft.

1 8 Donte Whitner, SS

1 26 John McCargo, DT

3 70 Ashton Youboty, CB

4 105 Ko Simpson, FS

5 134 Kyle Williams, DT

5 143 Brad Butler, T

6 178 Keith Ellison, OLB

7 216 Terrace Pennington, T

7 248, Aaron Merz, G

There is no question that (other than Kyle Williams), the 2006 draft was extremely disappointing. But this franchise has had a lot of bad drafts; some of which have been worse than 2006's.

Not by much E.A.

Please remember that Levy turned down "multiple trade offers" for the #8, and said that some offered more than an extra second round pick. That draft was loaded with good blockers. Absolutely stacked, let alone the fact that Cutler and Ngata were sitting there at 8.

Then, they traded a 2nd and an early 3rd to move up and draft McCargo ahead of Nick Mangold. Nice, huh?

And yes, Kyle Williams was a total score with first round ability and off the charts work effort. He saved the 2006 draft from being a total wash, or so one might think. But what did happen was that this draft went on to define Levy and Jauron, the worst combo I for one have ever seen.

Edited by Bill from NYC

It's depressing isn't it? This is the crap people talk about right before the season owner?

Man, if Rachel would have went out with me in 3rd grade, my life would be so much better. Damn. :(

I still feel bad about stealing Rachel from you.

Other than Polian, for the few years that we had him, and the GM (I think his name was Gallagher) in the early 60s, we have suffered with terrible front offices.Our drafting has been horrible, and we were on the wrong end of some very bad trades. For those old timers reading this, remember when we were "cutting edge" in the early 60s? We signed the first soccer style kicker, Pete Gogolak, and raided the CFL for Cookie. It wasn't too long thereafter that our demise was to start with the departure of Lou Saban, and the Lamonica trade. Al Davis is likely still laughing in his grave about Lamonica.

Not by much E.A.

Please remember that Levy turned down "multiple trade offers" for the #8, and said that some offered more than an extra second round pick. That draft was loaded with good blockers. Absolutely stacked, let alone the fact that Cutler and Ngata were sitting there at 8.

Then, they traded a 2nd and an early 3rd to move up and draft McCargo ahead of Nick Mangold. Nice, huh?

And yes, Kyle Williams was a total score with first round ability and off the charts work effort. He saved the 2006 draft from being a total wash, or so one might think. But what did happen was that this draft went on to define Levy and Jauron, the worst combo I for one have ever seen.

I forgot about Ngata being available, Bill. You may have nailed it. AND they were wearing those stupid uniforms.