ESPN Power Rankings/Watkins Trade

Gabe Northern

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/1

For those people who liked the Watkins trade: Even if you think basically every prediction is wrong and biased against the Bills, don't you think it's at least a little crazy to trade #9 to move up to #4 if next year's selection has a reasonable chance of landing in the top 5?

Virtually every preview I've seen has the Bills picking in the top 10 next year. Watkins would have to be Hall of Fame bound for this trade to make sense.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/1

For those people who liked the Watkins trade: Even if you think basically every prediction is wrong and biased against the Bills, don't you think it's at least a little crazy to trade #9 to move up to #4 if next year's selection has a reasonable chance of landing in the top 5?

Virtually every preview I've seen has the Bills picking in the top 10 next year. Watkins would have to be Hall of Fame bound for this trade to make sense.

if the draft position was based on preseason rankings rather than the outcome of the ACTUAL GAMES, then yes, I would find the trade a bit of a gamble.

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/n...ear/2014/week/1

1.) Watkins is a rare talent.

2.) Why would anyone expect the Bills FO to think they would automatically qualify for a top 5 pick NEXT year?

You see a guy you like, make a commitment and pull the trigger. Second guessing is for those that will NEVER be in those shoes. And all too easy to do.

GO BILLS!!!

if the draft position was based on preseason rankings rather than the outcome of the ACTUAL GAMES, then yes, I would find the trade a bit of a gamble.

I have the answer in my mind, but can you recall the year the Bills played poorly in preseason and ended up having a winning season?

The problem with the whole situation is that the Bills did not believe they were trading a top 5 pick next year. They believed it would be much higher and this makes the situation all the more grave. You never trade away a 1st when you don't have an established QB.

I don't know what team you're watching, but we got a "locked in" EJ Manuel out there bro. :P

The problem with the whole situation is that the Bills did not believe they were trading a top 5 pick next year. They believed it would be much higher and this makes the situation all the more grave. You never trade away a 1st when you don't have an established QB.

Who cares what the Bills thought. They are never right.

This team is no where near ready to tear down that 7-9 wall

obviously the Bills didnt think there would be a reasonable chance of landing in the top 5 next year when they made the trade

i still dont think they end up in top five, most likely where they have been recent, 8-12 something like that

If you continue to look into the future you won't have a chance to enjoy the now. I'm more focused on this upcoming season oppose to what could happen.

As long as the bills make the post season what's the difference?

I mean, not for nothing if Watkins pops off for a thousand plus send ten TDs and buffalo goes 3-13 will it justify the trade? It will ease it but the winning is what's important.

Imagine what the team would look like without Watkins? he better be ready for a pounding.

because he will be seeing a lot of dump offs for his great YAC ability. One has to wonder if Hackett drew up any screen

Plays in the sand yet for the team.

It's interesting that the more preseason progresses, the more people are hyping him up. Geez, I even read he was a "generational" talent earlier today. What has changed?

Well, I've been saying that since his freshman year when I first saw him play. So it must be other people hyping him up since the preseason. I'm not one to use the term "generational" lightly, but he's certainly one of the top football prospects, regardless of position, in the last 10 years.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The Bills pick will not be top 5. I'm thinking somewhere around 12-15 with 7 or 8 victories being our sum of wins this year, UNLESS we get some quality QB play. If we do the pick will be in the 20's somewhere.

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/n...ear/2014/week/1

Besides trading up to #4 for Watkins the Bills have drafted in the top five only twice since 1986 (2002,2011). Now to be fair 4 of those years they didn't have a first round pick. Even removing the four years of no draft picks that's twice out of the last 24 years, even how bad the last 14 years it's only happened two times. I love the pick of Watkins( who loves the Bills and wants to be here) and he will pay dividends for many many years to come. Chances are we are not in the top five come the 2015 Draft.

It's interesting that the more preseason progresses, the more people are hyping him up. Geez, I even read he was a "generational" talent earlier today. What has changed?

The Bills picked him. It's an interesting case study in cognitive bias. Before the draft virtually no one supported trading next year's first to move up. After the move most fans inexplicably did a 180 and decided that the move was not only acceptable; it was !@#$ing brilliant.

Now people defend a move they'd ridicule if someone else did it, not because they think it was a good move, but because they want it to be a good move.