If you live in the market of a different NFL team...

YoloinOhio

If you live in the market of a different NFL team...  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Have you:

• Become a fan of that team (but 2nd to the Bills)?
    • Become a fan of that team (more than the Bills)?
    • Grown to strongly dislike that team?
    • Become apathetic to that team, despite all the coverage/knowledge you get?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have posted about this previously, but I have lived in the Pacific NW for 18 years. I have travelled to Buffalo for 4 games in that time and watched as many games as possible between league pass and national tv. In saying that, I miss the NFL stadium experience and have gone to Seahawks games for 11 years now. I enjoy the games, have shared good times with friends and family and have developed an affinity for the team over the years, despite my best intentions. The Hawks are now my other team, but they are so far behind the Bills. Miss a Seahawks game? Had something better to do. Miss a Bills game? Not a chance.

I think choice 4, "become apathetic" should also include "have always been apathetic."

I have lived in Chicago and San Diego, 20 years total. And as E-Ball said, those teams were just there. Dont follow them. Dont know if they are doing well or not. Dont care about water-cooler conversations about them. Not on purpose. Just dont care in the slightest.

Great poll question. I've now lived in Colorado longer than I've lived anywhere else, including Buffalo. Still a Bills fan first and foremost, but ... when your team is out of the hunt by Thanksgiving every year, and when your local team is making an impressive playoff run every year (think Tebow 2011, Manning 2012-13), any true football fan is going to get swept up by the bandwagon. And I'll be honest -- part of my brain harbors perfectly legitimate fears that the Bills will abandon Buffalo, at which point I will forevermore abandon the Bills. So for now it's all Bills from the second week of February until, well, November, and then it's 70% Broncos the rest of the way.

I moved to Ohio 21 years ago. I still don't care about the Browns or Bengals, despite living smack dab in the middle. I have a family member who is currently high up in the FO of another team. He has been with the FOs of 2 other NFL teams as well since 1997. Yet I still am not a "real" fan of his current team or the two that came before. Sure, I hope they do well for his livelihood. But its nothing like I feel about the team I was born to be a fan of.

Curious about the rest of you - Love, hate, or indifference toward the team you are surrounded by vs the one you were born into?

I live between DC, and Baltimore. I can not stand the Ravens, or their fans. I took my daughter to a game vs the Bills, she was 10 at the time. The Ravens fans threw items at us for wearing our Bills jersey. The Skins (are we allowed to call them that)? Their fans are a lot of fun to tailgate with.

I proudly hang my Bills/Sabres flags on my deck, and front porch every year.

Edited by DirtDart

I absolutely hate Tampa Bay, can't stand them. Almost quit going to games as it was simply no fun, only Bills games now. I even hate the stadium when I drive by and it's empty.

A Mets fan but kind of like the Rays. Lower payroll team that does well. Sucks that they do so bad attendance wise while having a good team. I do enjoy listening to people that don't go from Tampa. They complain that the 30 minute drive is just too far to go. People complain about the Trop, but I don't mind it, beats the 95 degree heat with 70-80% humidity any day.

I loved it when the lightning played there. Used to get seasons for $99.00 a year. The team was stocked with ex Sabers at the time.

Bucs fans are the worst in the entire country and possibly the dumbest. It's way to hot to tailgate, so even that isn't fun. Basically no reason to go unless the Bills are in town. Unfortunately we often lose to them no matter how bad they are.

Bills fan in Steelers Country. I've grown to really despise the fanbase, not the organization. Majority of Steelers fans have no football knowledge beyond their starters. And of course, mostly all Steelers fans are offended when they find out that I wasn't born in the same hospital as them. "You're a Bills fan!? They suck! What's wrong with you?" But Steelers fans, from what I've noticed are very fair weathered and have a sense of entitlement.

A Mets fan but kind of like the Rays. Lower payroll team that does well. Sucks that they do so bad attendance wise while having a good team.

I am same. I was a big mets fan as a kid, but really cooled on them when they started throwing money around and trying to outspend everyone. Being a bills fan, I am more drawn to small market teams. As a result, I stopped following the mets about 10 years ago. If I watch baseball, it's with an interest in the pirates-- a classic cheap, small market team.

I grew up in Michigan a Bills fan. I hated the Lions. After college I moved to Jacksonville. I attend a couple games a year if I get free tix but I son't hate the Jags, I am just apathetic. I only root for the bills. You know who I DO hate though? The Gators and all of the SEC!

I've lived in Denver and as I've stated before, I openly root for the Patriots against the Broncos. There is something so incredibly cheesy/dopey/phony/corporate/wine and cheese about the Broncos and their fan base, I can't even properly describe it. I hate them so much. I hate how they're always considered top NFL fans. Their tailgate scene is so incredibly weak. Is the stadium loud? Yes, but wouldn't any stadium with Peyton Manning dropping bombs be loud? I would give anything to see what that stadium and that fan base looked like if they sucked for 14 years in a row. Hey, at least it would give a chance for the real fans to maybe attend a game once in a while instead of the phony corporate geeks with their tucked-in jerseys. Oy vay now I'm riled up.

I live a few hours away from DC and because I have so many friends who grew up fans of them, I like to see Washington do well (unless it would adversely effect the Bills, that is).

I'm four hours away from Baltimore and despise them for no reason other than they should be playing in Cleveland and the Colts should be in Baltimore (grudge not forgiven).

Great poll question. I've now lived in Colorado longer than I've lived anywhere else, including Buffalo. Still a Bills fan first and foremost, but ... when your team is out of the hunt by Thanksgiving every year, and when your local team is making an impressive playoff run every year (think Tebow 2011, Manning 2012-13), any true football fan is going to get swept up by the bandwagon. And I'll be honest -- part of my brain harbors perfectly legitimate fears that the Bills will abandon Buffalo, at which point I will forevermore abandon the Bills. So for now it's all Bills from the second week of February until, well, November, and then it's 70% Broncos the rest of the way.

We can agree to disagree my friend. Maybe I just like the underdog story but it is not in my DNA to jump on the bandwagon of a successful team. I would be more inclined to root for the Broncos if they sucked too. This city does not deserve a winner. Nor do they need one. Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis- throw them a freaking bone once in a while football gods, geez.

I grew up in Michigan a Bills fan. I hated the Lions. After college I moved to Jacksonville. I attend a couple games a year if I get free tix but I son't hate the Jags, I am just apathetic. I only root for the bills. You know who I DO hate though? The Gators and all of the SEC!

Amen!

I live in Seattle and would have trouble naming 5 players from the Seahawk squad despite their Super Bowl run. I'm not even slightly a fan. I'm not much of a NFL fan as far as that goes. I'm a Bills fan and will always be a Bills fan.

I get a lot of grief from 'Hawk fans and that's great - it's all part of the fun of the sport.