Raiders to start Carr

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be interesting to revisit AFTER Carr has played an actual regular season game.

And just because the Raiders are choosing to start him doesn't mean he isn't still "raw" and "needs to develop".

Maybe he's different then the average rookie. ''He's not your typical rookie,'' center Stefen Wisniewski said. ''He's got an NFL quarterback older brother that's been teaching him for years. He understands defenses at a very advanced level more than most rookies would. I think Derek gets way more prepared than most rookies would be.'' It just bothers me that we could have had him and didn't because of this EJ at any cost thing.

Finished pre season with a 108 QB rating. I thought I read here all rookie QB's where "raw" and "need years to develop." The reason this is important is because the Bills could have had him and kept next years first.

He hasn't played an actual game yet and we're talking like he doesn't need years to develop?

I vividly remember hearing the Chargers players and coaches rave about Ryan Leaf in his first training camp and went looking for some of that vid. I didn't find it but I did find this which has a few clippings about some of his first pre-season games:

http://www.footballp...is-meaningless/

Read that and tell me how important practice games are in predicting a QBs future.

Edited by MDH

I love his arm. It's a special one. Made some questionable decisions throwing the ball in college, but if he gets coached up, I think he's a very good one if not great. Wish we woulda traded up for him instead of taking Cyrus.

Maybe he's different then the average rookie. ''He's not your typical rookie,'' center Stefen Wisniewski said. ''He's got an NFL quarterback older brother that's been teaching him for years. He understands defenses at a very advanced level more than most rookies would. I think Derek gets way more prepared than most rookies would be.'' It just bothers me that we could have had him and didn't because of this EJ at any cost thing.

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, the problem is we have no idea until the regular season starts. Sure he looked good against 2nd/3rd string players but Jeff Tuel looked good against 2nd/3rd string players in his rookie preseason. Many rookie QBs have looked "good" in their first preseason only to flop when it counts.

And it's great that his Center thinks so highly of him and his ability to read defenses, which by the way they weren't game planning. Do you honestly think he could score 3 TDs so easily against one of the best defenses in the league(Seattle)?

I get that it's exciting to see a rookie QB start and have promise but the Same exact coaches thought Matt McGloin, Terelle Pryor were starters and traded for Matt Flynn to start. The truth is they made another lousy QB decision in signing Schaub, who is on a downward spiral, and are now going with the rookie because what other choice do they have?

I love his arm. It's a special one. Made some questionable decisions throwing the ball in college, but if he gets coached up, I think he's a very good one if not great. Wish we woulda traded up for him instead of taking Cyrus.

Really didn't need to do any trading at all. Just use our #1.

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, the problem is we have no idea until the regular season starts. Sure he looked good against 2nd/3rd string players but Jeff Tuel looked good against 2nd/3rd string players in his rookie preseason. Many rookie QBs have looked "good" in their first preseason only to flop when it counts.

And it's great that his Center thinks so highly of him and his ability to read defenses, which by the way they weren't game planning. Do you honestly think he could score 3 TDs so easily against one of the best defenses in the league(Seattle)?

I get that it's exciting to see a rookie QB start and have promise but the Same exact coaches thought Matt McGloin, Terelle Pryor were starters and traded for Matt Flynn to start. The truth is they made another lousy QB decision in signing Schaub, who is on a downward spiral, and are now going with the rookie because what other choice do they have?

I watched the Seattle game. He scored against the starters at will. Carr did, not the coaches. .

I watched the Seattle game. He scored against the starters at will. Carr did, not the coaches. .

No offense, but if you watched the game then you saw his first TD pass was thrown against CB Phillip Adams, who was dropped by the Seahawks on Saturday and is now with the Jest. Wouldn't exactly call him a starter. His second TD was against Malcolm Smith who is a backup OLB for Seattle. Again not a starter

Were there starters on the field as well? Sure, Carr completed a pass against Richard Sherman. But to say he scored against starters at will is patently false. It was a mix of starters/non-starters and certainly wasn't any indication of what he Seattle defense will play like in week1.

No offense, but if you watched the game then you saw his first TD pass was thrown against CB Phillip Adams, who was dropped by the Seahawks on Saturday and is now with the Jest. Wouldn't exactly call him a starter. His second TD was against Malcolm Smith who is a backup OLB for Seattle. Again not a starter

Were there starters on the field as well? Sure, Carr completed a pass against Richard Sherman. But to say he scored against starters at will is patently false. It was a mix of starters/non-starters and certainly wasn't any indication of what he Seattle defense will play like in week1.

being the last pre season game I have no doubt it was a mix. But he got his TD's in the beginning of the game against at lest some starters not after the half against 2's and 3's. Hint-EJ. Face it if he was a Bills rookie this place would be screaming 19-0.

being the last pre season game I have no doubt it was a mix. But he got his TD's in the beginning of the game against at lest some starters not after the half against 2's and 3's. Hint-EJ. Face it if he was a Bills rookie this place would be screaming 19-0.

Sure, he got his TD's against a Seattle defense that wasn't game planning and had some starters out there. But that's not why he's starting the season, IMO. Schaub has looked terrible, not unlike when Kolb was here, and Carr has looked good when playing, again not unlike when EJ played last year. The Raiders really had no choice but to go with Carr, but it remains to be seen if he will look good in week 1 and in the rest of the season.

It's just a bit early to be saying the Bills made a mistake in not drafting him.

Sure, he got his TD's against a Seattle defense that wasn't game planning and had some starters out there. But that's not why he's starting the season, IMO. Schaub has looked terrible, not unlike when Kolb was here, and Carr has looked good when playing, again not unlike when EJ played last year. The Raiders really had no choice but to go with Carr, but it remains to be seen if he will look good in week 1 and in the rest of the season.

It's just a bit early to be saying the Bills made a mistake in not drafting him.

Maybe I am being hasty but Carr just looked good in all aspects of the game. I just smell a future why didn't we draft Carr thread to replace today's why didn't we draft Wilson/Foles threads.