"New" Stadiums don't stay new very long

IronyAbounds

Redskins' stadium is less than 20 years old, and yet Douchebag Snyder is already looking to stick it to the taxpayers of D.C., Maryland and/or Virginia so that he can have a shiny new stadium. Nothing has turned me off of sports in general, and professional sports in particular, than the avarice and greed of all parties involved (even the NCAA is getting Gordon Geckoish). You can not tell me that FedEx Field isn't a perfectly acceptable place to watch a game (and there is no way it has come close to paying for itself after merely 17 years). Most of the criticisms of the venue have arisen since Synder has deliberately downgraded the experience for the standard fan in order to increase revenues from the super rich, yet that has to be more luxury boxes (so the 1%ers don't have to mingle with the riff-raff (which is predominately the 2%-5%ers - God forbid the middle class being able to afford attending a game), more amenities and monuments to the ego of the owner. As much as I love the Bills, maybe it would be best for them to move so I would then have no reason at all to care for the NFL.

http://profootballta...-a-new-stadium/

Cost wife and I

Tickets

Tolls

Stromboli

Beer

Wine

Food for tailgating

2 nights hotel

Tank plus of. Gas

Breakfast

Dinner sat

Bar visit after game

Parking at Hammers

Between 650 on cheep weekend over 900 some times.

Average trip around $775.

Opener cost us the most along with our friend Mikes party.

When I retire will have to rethink tickets

Edited by mead107

Well, if the choice is between watching at home or spending $600 for a day's entertainment, then yes. If the option is a reasonable price of admission, then the excitement of being there in person is quite compelling.

i don't know about $600, but i would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks to go see the bills play, grill some food, drink a few beers, throw the football with a buddy or two. and maybe, just maybe, sing the shout song a couple times with 72,000 of my closest friends.

FedEx Field is a terrible example of stadiums getting old fast. That stadium was terribly built. The concrete pillars that obstruct view for different parts, the location, the way they shuttle people in. I've been to a few stadiums and that is by far the worst experience.

If built right, they can make them work. I still don't see the need for a new Bills stadium, but I agree a location on the waterfront would be beneficial.

Build it the right way, win some historic games there, and you will find a way to keep it around.

FedEx Field is a terrible example of stadiums getting old fast. That stadium was terribly built. The concrete pillars that obstruct view for different parts, the location, the way they shuttle people in. I've been to a few stadiums and that is by far the worst experience.

If built right, they can make them work. I still don't see the need for a new Bills stadium, but I agree a location on the waterfront would be beneficial.

Build it the right way, win some historic games there, and you will find a way to keep it around.

Yea - I've heard few kind words about that stadium. Just because it's only moderately old doesn't mean it was ever nice. Can't say firsthand though, just reports like this.

The even more ridiculous is the Falcons and Braves both potentially getting new stadiums...again. The Braves always have a competitive team but rarely even come close to selling out but somehow they deserve another new park, absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Max997

Yea - I've heard few kind words about that stadium. Just because it's only moderately old doesn't mean it was ever nice. Can't say firsthand though, just reports like this.

I can. It sucks. From the location to the parking lot (if you can even park there) to the stadium to the over-inflated (even by NFL standards) prices for everything. It's a horrible experience. Not a fan of M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore either but it's a palace compared to FedEx Field. I'm sure Little Dummy Snyder will get his way and the Washington lemmings will eagerly follow him to his overpriced sea...

The even more ridiculous is the Falcons and Braves both potentially getting new stadiums...again. The Braves always have a competitive team but rarely even come close to selling out but somehow they deserve another new park, absolutely ridiculous.

The Braves were put into a stadium that was built for the Olympics, not for them. They merely moved there because Fulton Co. stadium was decrepit and it certainly made the Atlanta Olympic bid more palatable to taxpayers if there was guaranteed use of the stadium after the 1996 games ended.

The city was also supposed to develop the area around Turner Field following the Olympics. They didn't. So when Cobb County came calling, with the opportunity for the BRAVES to develop the area around a brand new stadium, they jumped.

It also doesn't hurt that the vast majority of their fans aren't from the city of Atlanta, but are coming from Cobb county anyways...

heat-map.jpg