Bills Eric Wood goes off on Espn about Rams Michael Sams

17 Josh Allen

and maybe he just isn't good enough.

Except that isn't what the thread is about, but we know how and why you feel. The kid can get to the QB and should be able to latch on with somebody if he really wants to. Wood is saying that ESPN with its stupid coverage made that more difficult.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Eric Wood was right to call out ESPN for their obsessive coverage of Michael Sam; however, it was more than just ESPN. I feel bad for Michael Sam. It should have simply been a feel good story of a young man who had the courage to be who he was, and an organization, in a sport that epitomizes traditional views of masculinity, giving him the opportunity to achieve his dream. At this point in time, an openly gay player joining an NFL team should have generated nothing more than such sentiments. Unfortunately, it was never going to be that simple. The collective media, in its never ending quest for sensationalism, rather than just reporting, did the very thing they would eagerly crucify anyone else for doing: singling him out for being different and hindering his chances for success because of it.

Wood is largely correct, although its more than just ESPN. All the attention from all corners for a 7th round pick is absurd. That being said, I don't think Sam made much of an effort to avoid it all, especially this spring. Regardless, I'm sure he'll be on the ESPN payroll within a month if he doesn't get signed to a practice squad somewhere.

He didn't he had 3 which tied him with perennial pro bowlers such as tahir whitehead and our very own Corbin Bryant. Did you watch any of his games to say he belongs on a ps? Or are you purely going off of stats because if you look at the list of preseason sack leaders there's a lot of who? guys on it.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2014&seasonType=PRE

And yet Corbin Bryant not only made a roster, he made a roster deep in quality DL. You kind of helped prove the opposite of the point I think you were trying to make.

I believe the Rams cutting him was a pure football decision. Their D-Line is deep. However, I can't believe that there are no teams out there who need pass rush help that are willing to at least kick the tyres on a proven pass rusher at college level who showed up to some extent in pre-season at least in situations packages.

If he doesn't even get a look for a PS then you have to think there is something else going on. Sacking the Quarterback in the NFL is not easy... if you can find a guy cheap who can do it (even if it is only on obvious passing downs) then you take a chance on him. There are worse pass rushing DEs who have bounced around practice squads in recent years.

The fact that ESPN dedicated time to shower speculation about Michael Sam tells you what they are interested in.

ESPN is interested in eyeballs and mouse clicks, period. They will use any means necessary to get them. Sadly, lots of idiots oblige them by watching/reading their wall-to-wall Michael Sam coverage.

I believe the Rams cutting him was a pure football decision. Their D-Line is deep. However, I can't believe that there are no teams out there who need pass rush help that are willing to at least kick the tyres on a proven pass rusher at college level who showed up to some extent in pre-season at least in situations packages.

If he doesn't even get a look for a PS then you have to think there is something else going on. Sacking the Quarterback in the NFL is not easy... if you can find a guy cheap who can do it (even if it is only on obvious passing downs) then you take a chance on him. There are worse pass rushing DEs who have bounced around practice squads in recent years.

Of course there's something else going on. No other team wants a marginally talented player for the price of having a horde of media idiots constantly harassing their team.

I think the best path for Sam may be to do what Jacquies Smith and Cameron Wake did - go to the CFL, where ESPN won't pay attention to him. If he can play well there with minimal disruption, an NFL team may well go after him given that the "story" will have faded quite a bit in the next year or two.

it is Not just ESPN. CNN the modern equilvelant of the National enquirer has an article on their front page.

fact is all these rags have articles, and full expect to see him on the cover of Rolling Stone sooner rather than later.

These sources report what they THINK people want to hear. Feel sorry for the dude, and he probably has no future

In the league based on talent and not sexual preference. But these morons will find some way to spin it to sell clicks

And copy's.

I watched all 4 of the rams pre-season games

I bought the $20.00 preseason package.

Your able to watch entire pre-season games

After there over in around 30 Minutes.

To me he looks like a good player that should

Be on a active NFL roster. At the Very least he should be on a practice squad. Note this year

NFL teams get to keep 10 practice Squad players

Instead of 5. So he should at the very least make

A practice squad.

I could not agree more with Eric Wood. Everyone needs to call out ESPN. Because they are so hungry for ratings they are ruining a person's dreams.

Shame on the media for being such hypocrites. Much of the media could care less any more about what journalism should be but care more about ratings and personal glory...sad for sure.

ESPN is the Jerry Springer of sports news and talk. The network and its heads feed on scandal, controversy and negativity. I've taken to calling it MeSPN, as the network, and again, its good looking, clever, erudite and WAY hipper than thou talking heads seem to create as much news as they report.