Colts Release Kelvin Sheppard

I thought he was awful. Slow reactions, not good enough shredding blocks. Preston Brown looks far quicker and more instinctive. Sheppard was a really good college player. I had high hopes for him. He just never looked like an NFL MLB to me.

It's been an absolute treat watching Brandon Spikes in there.

Yup. I just keeping waiting for Sheppard to do something good. Anything. I thought being at LSU, he would be good. He was basically whatever.

The Hughes trade gets a ton of attention man.... In qb threads, no, but there's a lot of attention to the bills having a solid 50 outside the question marks at qb

That's fair.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ty Powell

I thought he had been cut. I was only thinking of the top 4. I would not mind cutting Powell and picking up Sheppard so long as he is decent on special teams.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Eddie Robinson is pissed at you right now.

While Eddie Robinson pretty much sucked in Buffalo, he had a productive NFL career and was a pretty decent piece on a very good Oilers' team. Kelvin Sheppard never met a gap he could fill and he couldn't cover a blind invalid in the passing game. I'm really surprised he's actually hung on so long in Indy. I suspect the Colts' GM hasn't gaffed him until now because of how one-sided the trade obviously has been.

Sheppard wasn't great but has been in the league 3-4 years (and will land somewhere). There have been worse than him.

Wasn't great? Wasn't good enough to be considered even mediocre. I used to call him "donut" because he was the gigantic hole in the middle of our defense that was regularly exploited by every team we played. Sheppard has been in the league for a number of years because of his college team, where he was drafted, and because he was traded for. The Colts' GM wasn't going to readily admit how big a mistake that was, just like Buddy/Chan did when they kept parading his sorry butt back out there. Sheppard's play in Buffalo was on the level of Eric Flowers. He was absolutely terrible. I literally spent the last season of his time in WNY concentrating on him every snap. There isn't even a word to describe how unbelievably bad he was.

I love how people bash the Bills for their mistakes and ignore their fallout slaughtering of the Colts in this trade.

It's also funny how the Colts' GM is thought to be good because he drafted Luck. He has made some terrible trades.

This is an hilarious argument. "The fallout slaughtering of the Colts in this trade" resulted in 11 wins for the Colts and how many for the Bills? I like Jerry Hughes, but the Colts didn't screw up their first round qb choice and the Bills did. In the big picture the Hughes trade is not a real difference maker-it's not significant in the overall success of either team. That is why their GM doesn't get slaughtered-they have back to back 11 win playoff seasons.That achievement is not even in sight for the Bills' GM.

This is an hilarious argument. "The fallout slaughtering of the Colts in this trade" resulted in 11 wins for the Colts and how many for the Bills? I like Jerry Hughes, but the Colts didn't screw up their first round qb choice and the Bills did. In the big picture the Hughes trade is not a real difference maker-it's not significant in the overall success of either team. That is why their GM doesn't get slaughtered-they have back to back 11 win playoff seasons.That achievement is not even in sight for the Bills' GM.

There isn't a GM in the NFL who wouldn't have picked Andrew Luck. The Colts picked Luck WITH a HoF QB on their roster. That's how goddamn obvious that pick was.

He picked the best qb prospect since Peyton Manning with the #1 pick! Even the Bills won't screw that up!

His trades have been flat out awful. Andrew Luck is the sole reason he has a job.

Anyone else interested in bringing him back as LB depth? He was decent against the run.

You need to have your head examined for post-concussion syndrome, Kirby.

Kelvin Sheppard was the worst starting LB we have fielded in quite some time. Started for a year and a half, and I don't recall a single play he ever made that was of any significance. When the Dougs took over, he was their first order of business, and the jettisoning of him told me they might at least have a clue.

Actually it was Whaley.

And I just want the same attention as the Bulls get for their bad moves. But I realize that won't happen because people love the negative.

Alit from your high horse. Virtually everyone here was good with the trade when it went down. 2 relatively high picks who in 2 seasons weren't panning out for their respective teams. 'Change of scenery and perhaps he'll awaken' was equal rhetoric in both camps. We just realized quickly we had the better player for Pettine's scheme. This doesn't mean Hughes will continue to improve. Just that he fared better with the change.

There! Ya happy now!?

Alit from your high horse. Virtually everyone here was good with the trade when it went down. 2 relatively high picks who in 2 seasons weren't panning out for their respective teams. 'Change of scenery and perhaps he'll awaken' was equal rhetoric in both camps. We just realized quickly we had the better player for Pettine's scheme. This doesn't mean Hughes will continue to improve. Just that he fared better with the change.

There! Ya happy now!?

Actually, Sheppard was getting worse and worse the more he played on the Bills, and Hughes was getting much better on Indy the more he played at the position that he excels at. So there's that.

I love how people bash the Bills for their mistakes and ignore their fallout slaughtering of the Colts in this trade.

It's also funny how the Colts' GM is thought to be good because he drafted Luck. He has made some terrible trades.

I don't believe I ever read a post on TBD praising the Colts GM. If so, I'd love to see a quote. I thought it was general knowledge that we got the better of him with this trade and he also screwed up the Richardson trade. The drafting of Luck was a no-brainer and I haven't really seen them draft anyone worth noting otherwise.

The Trent Richardson trade takes the cake but the Bills came out ahead in this one too. Problem is, the Colts tanked at just the right time to suck into Luck and this will likely color all these missteps. Much like Polian's tenure with the Colts was terrible but was covered up by the Manning draft.

I believe that Suck For Luck was a strategic move on the Colts' part. Of course, it could only be whispered between Irsay and whoever, but I think they planned it that way.

With Curtis Painter as Manning's backup, you are planning to suck.

Nice move if you can pull it off and not get detected doing it.

JMO, of course.