I'd say the QB situation just about sums everything up

Rubes

You could probably argue that the Bills haven't done an outstanding job with the Guard and Tight End positions, but all in all the organization has done a decent job putting together a fairly talented team across the board, aside from the one position that means far more than any other position. The most important position of them all. And here we are, one week away from the start of the season, and we have a barely legitimate starting QB and no legitimate backup QB on the roster.

Even if we do pick up someone else's trash and have someone slightly more legitimate as our #2, he still has no exposure to our offensive system, and it will be weeks before he could be realistically thrown into a game with any expectation of effectiveness.

It was the same story last year, and it ended up biting us in the butt, to a certain extent. And here we are again.

It's hard to find a good QB in the NFL, sure. But this could only be called a pure bungling of the most important position on the field, despite a reasonably decent job with the remainder of the roster.

That just about sums it up for the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Rubes

Yeah he hasn't even played in game one yet. You should at least wait until Sunday at 7 pm before declaring the season over. You rube.

Oh, is that what I did?

You could probably argue that the Bills haven't done an outstanding job with the Guard and Tight End positions, but all in all the organization has done a decent job putting together a fairly talented team across the board, aside from the one position that means far more than any other position. The most important position of them all. And here we are, one week away from the start of the season, and we have a barely legitimate starting QB and no legitimate backup QB on the roster.

Even if we do pick up someone else's trash and have someone slightly more legitimate as our #2, he still has no exposure to our offensive system, and it will be weeks before he could be realistically thrown into a game with any expectation of effectiveness.

It was the same story last year, and it ended up biting us in the butt, to a certain extent. And here we are again.

It's hard to find a good QB in the NFL, sure. But this could only be called a pure bungling of the most important position on the field, despite a reasonably decent job with the remainder of the roster.

Good post, Rubes. One can see how the FO thought the backup QB position was in...well...reasonable hands give the performance of Thad last year. I still would have liked them to bring in a vet backup, just in case. Unfortunately Thad seemed to tank and Tuel, while maybe a bit better than last year, is still very raw. I expect the team to bring in a vet backup now, but as you note, it will be weeks before that QB is ready to see the field, It takes much longer during the season as there just isn't the kind of time to prepare.

Either way though, it comes down to EJ and that would have been the case had the backup vet been brought in during the offseason. The Bills will only feel the pain if EJ goes down...say before the bye.

A Good QB takes care of all those problems. Helps both sides. Peyton Manning example, gets the ball out so quickly,the line doesn`t have to block very long. Threat in the passing game opens up the run. Keeps Defense off the field with drives. So they are fresher. This is what the top 10 QBs do. That`s why QB is the most important player on the field. He makes both sides better. That `s why we have so many problems. We have to find one or we are never getting out of this hole.

Amen. For those of us who have watched this team for decades, seeing the same types of management failure year after year just gets old.

( to date myself, I can't believe it's been almost 30 years since we drafted Bruce Smith. THAT was a move that worked out for us!)

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

This team is so scared of a QB controversy they'd rather have no good QBs than two good ones

I agree with this assessment. I got the sense that they really wanted to avoid doing anything to erode EJ's confidence or have him look over his shoulder. Then the preseason happened and they had no choice.

I agree with this assessment. I got the sense that they really wanted to avoid doing anything to erode EJ's confidence or have him look over his shoulder. Then the preseason happened and they had no choice.

i've heard this before and have forced myself to not believe it. if dude is so fragile that he can't take some competition, we're screwed.

it's much more comforting for me to chalk up the continuing qb issues to managerial incompetance than to a deliberate decision to avoid stressing out ej.

I don't think it has proven hard to find a good QB in the NFL, you just need to be committed to it.

Commitment to winning has always been the problem here.

Each regime that gets hired to run this team is basically working with a 3 year window to turn it around.

Their committment extends only that far. They don't care about the future and being committed to winning is about making decisions that put you in position to win for a long time.

On top of that they are always unprovens or re-treaded turds who bring no inspirational goodwill to the table.

If this regime fails this year let's hope that Pegula hires some people who have proven they can win and the organization makes QB the top priority going forward. ALWAYS the top priority.

I was a supporter of the EJ pick....not because EJ was great.....but because I don't think you can go wrong taking the best QB on your board with your first pick every year.

The only way the pick would have been wrong is if they weren't willing to do it again the next year. Well, they didn't even draft another option in the entire draft so we are basically in the same position we've been most of the last 14 years....relying on one highly questionable option at QB.

That's not good enough.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I don't think it has proven hard to find a good QB in the NFL, you just need to be committed to it.

Commitment to winning has always been the problem here.

Each regime that gets hired to run this team is basically working with a 3 year window to turn it around.

Their committment extends only that far. They don't care about the future and being committed to winning is about making decisions that put you in position to win for a long time.

On top of that they are always unprovens or re-treaded turds who bring no inspirational goodwill to the table.

If this regime fails this year let's hope that Pegula hires some people who have proven they can win and the organization makes QB the top priority going forward. ALWAYS the top priority.

I was a supporter of the EJ pick....not because EJ was great.....but because I don't think you can go wrong taking the best QB on your board with your first pick every year.

The only way the pick would have been wrong is if they weren't willing to do it again the next year. Well, they didn't even draft another option in the entire draft so we are basically in the same position we've been most of the last 14 years....relying on one highly questionable option at QB.

That's not good enough.

Yes, drafting a QB with your first pick every year is the very definition of commitment... :wallbash:

Yes, drafting a QB with your first pick every year is the very definition of commitment... :wallbash:

First round picks are the most overrated method of acquiring talent in the NFL.........unless you need a QB. Then they are handy because you get an early shot at a position whose worth exceeds all others by a factor of 10 or more.

Last years team had plenty of talent to be in the playoffs. PLENTY. Yet out of the past 14 years of failure the roster only had Leodis, CJ Spiller and Dareus......and the ineffective EJ....to show for all of those first round picks.

If you can chew on that and still not understand how little impact a first round CB or RB has on your franchise then more power to you. Must be blissful. :thumbsup: