My 2014 Hope Bubble is Popped

1B4IDie

This pretty much is where I'm coming from. Unlike you I only have 40+ years of watching this team but like you I don't care anymore if they lose. Why make yourself depressed over something you have no control over? I'll be watching every Sunday, cheer when they win and won't lose any sleep when they don't.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We shall see. Doesn't look like EJ is the real deal, though. They will protect him by running the ball and throwing screens against 8 in the box defense. This could be ugly. Without turnovers, they will be competitive. With turnovers, there could be some really unwatchable games. We shall see.

Why? because of the loss last night where most of the players who played won't be on team come Saturday. :mellow:

Except in reality the starting offense and defense played in the 5th preseason game against the Detroit Lions 2s.

The rest of the NFL rested their 1s this week. The Bills played their injured 2014 and 2015 First round 1 pick insead.

So that is why. The Bills playing checkers when the rest of the NFL is playing chess.

I like most of your take. I disagree with those three things though.

Defense pass rush - I will wait till the Chicago game to make that decision - Something tells me the passrush is going to drop off a whole lot with Pettine gone. Run stop better. Pass rush- susbantially worse. Really can't tell till we see how aggressive Swartz is going to be. I doubt he will be anywhere near as aggressive as Pettine.

Redzone - I will believe it when I see it. I don't think the Bills ever entered the red zone at all in the last preseason game. Like not even close. I wonder how many times they got the other side of the 50? Seriously?

AFC East Competitive - No. This is my firmest belief. I think the Patriots steam roll over all AFC East teams this year. I think they are going to be much better this year than last. And I think we might be looking at a Denver vs Patriots AFC Championship game. That is my prediction as of right now barring any injuries. I think Brady has a near record year with the new additional emphasis on pass interference/holding.

Even though neither Manning nor Brady is on our team, this is a special time to be watching two of the greatest quarterbacks of all time compete. Love that aspect of this game. Go Manning!

Valid points. I still think the AFC east is up for grabs because I think the jets (geno looks competent) and phins (mike sherman gone, tannehill did decent even with poor OLine and play calling last year) have gotten better this offseason, we shall see. Our red zone offense cant get any worse than it was last year, can it?

Edited by TallskiWallski83

EJ plays like an UDFA

Sammy has banged up ribs that will linger all season until he is IRed.

CJ runs backwards and gets stuffed.

The defense looks great but is on the field too often to sustain that greatness.

Instead of the usual late October or November pop, my hope bubble has officially popped in August.

Anyone have a hope bubble left?

If so why?

Maybe I can inflate a new one.

%Bubble

The offence has been running simple basic plays, as so Marrone/Hackett can evaluate talent. They aren't trying to win the preseason games, they are tryin to evaluate talent.

Come Sept 7, the real playbook comes out, and da Bears will be STUNNED!

Yes- bubble is officially burst for me too. I went from having visions of 10-6 in mini camp to now thinking 4-12 is a very likely scenario. It's not just preseason games, it's Kiko, Sammy, Kuandjo, EJ, coaching, trench play on O, 3rd-down defense.... all things could be masked by an Elite QB but we are so far away from that.

My "Super Bowl" this year will be having a local person like Pegula buy the team. If that happens i will be on cloud 9 and not worry about this season whatsoever.

It's sad but very understandable that the spirit is so low around here. I watched a lot of preseason games this year and I did not see many NFL starters look all that good. So it would stand to reason that Manuel would look even rougher.

Having said that, my take away is...

1. preseason is still BS

2. EJ Manuel is getting the full effect of Bills fans tired of the raw QB's "growing pains" without any real games counting and he's basically given no rebuttal points for EJ supporters

3. if he is ever going to be a good one then this heated atmosphere will hopefully forge him into true NFL QB steel at a much more rapid pace

4. lastly, everyone needs to remember that not every bad thing was on Manuel given that line play, penalties and drops where also big contributors to the 1st string problems

5. hey, at least we should be able to enjoy watching a very good defense, yay!

My excitement has been diminished, but I still hold out hope that the Chicago game will be one of those stunner upsets that happens each year on opening day.

Edited by 1billsfan

My hope runs eternal. My expectations have sunk, but you cannot tell me that each and every Buffalo Bills fan out there still HOPES that we kick the ever living shinola out of da bears next week. Why would you hope for anything else?

GO BILLS!!!

I was thinking the same thing last night. The preseason rarely has this effect on me even though we suck every preseason. I have lost all confidence in Moron. Hackett should be the 2nd OC fired prior to week one a la Turk. Boy is he bad. Pat Morris is garbage. I really miss D'allessandris. Schwartz is a good DC. Too bad he'll be our HC in a year.....and I believe he's a terrible HC. Ej is a bum. Don't think he'll ever not be a bum. Doesn't matter how long he has to progress. Sammy is hurt. He'll be hurt all year. Because Moron is a Moron. I'm going to bet the bills win total under. I like Whaley. Not sure why, but I do. Wonder if it was Moron or Whaley that thought Baddeus and Tuel would be adequate backups.....and EJ an adequate starter. Trade for kellen Moore. All 5'9 180 of him has more nfl starting QB in him than our 3 QBs combined.

Look on the bright side. You're the perfect person to follow Tim Graham on Twitter.

So you have that going for you.

I have been a Marrone supporter but am starting to get sucked in to the despair. I still wonder if he is feeling like he could be gone before the season is done and it is making him coach scared.

Entirely possible. I have to admit I have seen signs of this.

Sleeping on the Orton signing has caused a little hope Bubble to grow.

This was the Veteran backup the Bills needed last year.

He can be a game manager plus when EJ gets injured.

Maybe all hope isn't lost.

Look on the bright side. You're the perfect person to follow Tim Graham on Twitter.

So you have that going for you.

Cool, thanks!! I just signed up for twitter and followed him.

Still confidant my statements will become/is already reality. That being said, I do like Whaley. The orton signing gives me hope that our we can turn this thing around. Playoffs this season.....I still doubt it, but might be able to squeak out 7-9 wins if things go right. Pieces are there talent wise. Just need a QB that can lead them and coaches that can coach them.

There is faith based hope, and fact based hope. There is no reason whatsoever to lose your faith based hope. There are several reasons to have fact based hope:

1. The Bills play in a weak division. QBs matter, and the division only has one standout QB (feel sorry for a team like the Buc's who have Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton in their division)
  2. Only team with three pro bowlers on the defensive line.
  3. Experience Cornerback tandem ranked in the top half of the league
  4. Rushing attack which is only behind Vikings, Chiefs, Eagles and Seahawks in terms of talent.
  5. If Watkins stays healthy, a solid set of wide outs
  6. Dan Carpenter

There are some hope bubble bursters to worry about though:

1. unproven head coach
  2. unproven offensive coordinator
  3. defensive coordinator who has not demonstrated success independent of his time with Jeff Fisher
  4. deneral reconstruction of the powerful lions coaching staff with Schwartz, Crossman and QB regression supervisor Downing. This is however offset by the teaming up with the former pinstripe bowl championship coaching team
  5. unproven QB
  6. medicore OL
  7. medicore TE
  8. punter of the week syndrome looming. (how far away can open tryouts in the Ralph parking lot be?)