My 2014 Hope Bubble is Popped

1B4IDie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bubble isnt popped, it has just slowly deflated.

Negatives for me:

-Watching blake bortles, teddy bridgewater, matt cassel, derek carr drive their teams down for multiple TDs and our starting O cant get more than a field goal.

-Marrone and Whaley arguing on the sideline. Indicates a level of dysfunction between coach and upper management.

-Marrone and Hughs arguing. Indicates a level of dysfunction between coach and players.

-Playing Sammy in a meaningless game

-Cutting Thad and starting J Palmer in the 5th game. what was the point of this??? Basically ruined any reliable way of evaluating the play of the offensive skill players because Palmer had no clue what he was doing. Thad should have stayed on and played one more game, he knows the offense, then you cut his ass and replace him with Palmer (or any other QB who gets cut this weekend).

-Continue to plow spiller into middle of the defense without getting him into space.

-EJs inconsistency and his deflection of responsability and placing blame on others during post game press conferences

-The fact that this preseason looks exactly like every other preseason we've had for the last 14 years and you know the results that have followed those in the regular season

Positives:

-Defense looks good, i think we get consistent pass rush this year.

-Red zone woes in preseason are a correctable issue and I think Mike WIlliams is a lock for 8 or 9 TDs.

-RB depth is excellent, if we can run the ball efficiently and play good defense we should have a chance in most games we play in...regardless of whether or not EJ takes a step forward.

-Easy schedule to start the year

-AFC east is going to be competitive this year and I dont think the Pats are going to run offf with the title halfway through the season like they have in years past. A 9-7 or 10-6 record could win the division.

My bubble isnt popped, it has just slowly deflated.

Negatives for me:

-Watching blake bortles, teddy bridgewater, matt cassel, derek carr drive their teams down for multiple TDs and our starting O cant get more than a field goal.

-Marrone and Whaley arguing on the sideline. Indicates a level of dysfunction between coach and upper management.

-Marrone and Hughs arguing. Indicates a level of dysfunction between coach and players.

-Playing Sammy in a meaningless game

-Cutting Thad and starting J Palmer in the 5th game. what was the point of this??? Basically ruined any reliable way of evaluating the play of the offensive skill players because Palmer had no clue what he was doing. Thad should have stayed on and played one more game, he knows the offense, then you cut his ass and replace him with Palmer (or any other QB who gets cut this weekend).

-Continue to plow spiller into middle of the defense without getting him into space.

-EJs inconsistency and his deflection of responsability and placing blame on others during post game press conferences

-The fact that this preseason looks exactly like every other preseason we've had for the last 14 years and you know the results that have followed those in the regular season

Positives:

-Red zone woes in preseason are a correctable issue and I think Mike WIlliams is a lock for 8 or 9 TDs.

-RB depth is excellent, if we can run the ball efficiently and play good defense we should have a chance in most games we play in...regardless of whether or not EJ takes a step forward.

-Easy schedule to start the year

-AFC east is going to be competitive this year and I dont think the Pats are going to run offf with the title halfway through the season like they have in years past. A 9-7 or 10-6 record could win the division.

Chicago

Miami

San Diego

Houston

New England

I don't think that's easy at all. Outside of Houston those are all pretty good football teams.

EJ plays like an UDFA

Sammy has banged up ribs that will linger all season until he is IRed.

CJ runs backwards and gets stuffed.

The defense looks great but is on the field too often to sustain that greatness.

Instead of the usual late October or November pop, my hope bubble has officially popped in August.

Anyone have a hope bubble left?

If so why?

Maybe I can inflate a new one.

No hope.

There is no accountability in that Locker room, and it starts with a coddled QB. He is not doing anything I see to make me expect more than a 5-11 season. It's time to get some fire in that locker room and players need to start calling each other out, when they **** the bed. It's an environment of coddling and enabling bad behavior in the locker room.

The Bills culture of enabling losing is a cancer. It needs to end in order to for this team to move forward, and if that means other players stepping on other players toes to get a point across, so be it.

Edited by mattsox

Positives:

I like most of your take. I disagree with those three things though.

Defense pass rush - I will wait till the Chicago game to make that decision - Something tells me the passrush is going to drop off a whole lot with Pettine gone. Run stop better. Pass rush- susbantially worse. Really can't tell till we see how aggressive Swartz is going to be. I doubt he will be anywhere near as aggressive as Pettine.

Redzone - I will believe it when I see it. I don't think the Bills ever entered the red zone at all in the last preseason game. Like not even close. I wonder how many times they got the other side of the 50? Seriously?

AFC East Competitive - No. This is my firmest belief. I think the Patriots steam roll over all AFC East teams this year. I think they are going to be much better this year than last. And I think we might be looking at a Denver vs Patriots AFC Championship game. That is my prediction as of right now barring any injuries. I think Brady has a near record year with the new additional emphasis on pass interference/holding.

Even though neither Manning nor Brady is on our team, this is a special time to be watching two of the greatest quarterbacks of all time compete. Love that aspect of this game. Go Manning!

EJ plays like an UDFA

Sammy has banged up ribs that will linger all season until he is IRed.

CJ runs backwards and gets stuffed.

The defense looks great but is on the field too often to sustain that greatness.

Instead of the usual late October or November pop, my hope bubble has officially popped in August.

Anyone have a hope bubble left?

If so why?

Maybe I can inflate a new one.

AND... No first round pick which should be a top 3 pick considering how this team is playing. Many heads getting chopped by new ownership I hope.

Why? It's the preseason. We have a good to very good defense, some good Running backs, and every single team in the league is 0-0. My hope hasn't diminished at all.

Thanks.

I'm trying buddy.

99 problems, but a loss ain't one.

True Dat

Week 4 pre season games are nearly useless. They match up really well against Chicago.

I'm trying....

I'm trying too . .

I was thinking the same thing last night. The preseason rarely has this effect on me even though we suck every preseason. I have lost all confidence in Moron. Hackett should be the 2nd OC fired prior to week one a la Turk. Boy is he bad. Pat Morris is garbage. I really miss D'allessandris. Schwartz is a good DC. Too bad he'll be our HC in a year.....and I believe he's a terrible HC. Ej is a bum. Don't think he'll ever not be a bum. Doesn't matter how long he has to progress. Sammy is hurt. He'll be hurt all year. Because Moron is a Moron. I'm going to bet the bills win total under. I like Whaley. Not sure why, but I do. Wonder if it was Moron or Whaley that thought Baddeus and Tuel would be adequate backups.....and EJ an adequate starter. Trade for kellen Moore. All 5'9 180 of him has more nfl starting QB in him than our 3 QBs combined.

Popped again.

It is scary when generally reasonable people like you can't see the positive either.

My hope bubble is popped early this year too. I'm still going to go to the bills backers bar and watch the games, but I'm not expecting much.

Normally I'd be excited and think the bills might have a chance this year. Right now, I don't think they have a chance in hell, and they're going to waste an incredible defense with that shitshow of an offense they put together.

I know I will be at the Bills Backers bar week 1, and going to the Home Opener but at this point in time if they're not 0-2, I'd be extremely shocked (Lazor has the Dolphins offense looking scary in preseason)

Thanks.

I'm trying buddy.

True Dat

I'm trying too . .

Popped again.

It is scary when generally reasonable people like you can't see the positive either.

It's difficult to feel much confidence in this team at times, maybe I'm just naive, but I choose to believe we have the potential to be a decent football team. I'm not saying future potential, I'm saying that every week we walk into the stadium, we have a good chance to win a football game. Especially home games, I've learned that there are so many fans that are with us all that go through the same heartbreak many times over a season but yet none of us remember those lows as much when we walk out high after a win. That feeling of walking out of the Ralph after a Bills win is one I wouldn't trade. It's easy to root for teams who win consistently, it's tougher when they don't, but it's so much sweeter when it does happen.

I generally like to wait until the Bills lose a few regular season games before I begin to lose hope.

Me too except the offense in preseason looks hopeless.

I suspect that actual NFL players know what it takes to play in the NFL and the actual NFL players on the team may have ascertained that EJ doesn't have it.

This has got to kill a player's motivation.

How about.....

Less than 2 weeks ago we only had one of our OL practicing at their current projected starting position(Wood). The OL is rusty, needs more reps and continuity....and as a result has been playing pretty horridly. Horrid OL play leads to poor running game.....and both of those lead to a young irratic QB playing worse than he might otherwise play.

Inflate that bubble sir. Week by week that OL is going to improve and become the best in the league.....and as a byproduct, the #1 rushing offense will occur.....which will allow our young irratic QB to appear like a reasonable player.

This will happen by week 6. No doubts.....bank it now!

(These thoughts in no way represent the actual views of Dibs, are pure hopeful speculation, and are for encouragement purposes only. Any reproduction of said views both verbally or textually is strictly prohibited.)

I appreciate the effort. Thanks.

I have no hope or expectations left. I just continue to watch because it is what I have done for the past 50 years. When the Bills win a game, I am happy. When they lose, I am numb. All the losing has made me absolutely not care anymore when it happens. I just move on and wait for next week.

Well at least our expectations haven't been lower in good long time.

Good point not Giving the Browns a Top 10 pick would exceed expectations at this point in time.

Edited by Why So Serious?

It's difficult to feel much confidence in this team at times, maybe I'm just naive, but I choose to believe we have the potential to be a decent football team. I'm not saying future potential, I'm saying that every week we walk into the stadium, we have a good chance to win a football game. Especially home games, I've learned that there are so many fans that are with us all that go through the same heartbreak many times over a season but yet none of us remember those lows as much when we walk out high after a win. That feeling of walking out of the Ralph after a Bills win is one I wouldn't trade. It's easy to root for teams who win consistently, it's tougher when they don't, but it's so much sweeter when it does happen.

Rather than get into the reasons of why we should or should not have hope, think about this:

There have been A LOT of Bills season of recent vintage where hope levels have been low at the start of the year. The only year where the team did not win or lose a nail-biter on opening day was in 2012 (the Fitzpatrick disaster, 48-28 at the Jets). Every other year the team has either won the game or lost a very close contest. This includes the 25-24 loss to New England when Schonert was fired the week before. You could look this up - but the Bills have only lost one game decisively on Opening Day going back to 2002.

My point: everyone needs to calm the freak down. The Bills have good matchups for the first quarter of the season. If they go 2-2 or better, we'll have a season. If they are 1-3 or worse, then let the cries for Hackett and Marrone begin. But let's play a few games that freaking matter.

I wanna know just how much of the playbook they are really holding back.......

Little, if any. It is the same offense as last year including coaches except Watkins who hasn't been on the field long enough so far to even notice.

No reason to hold back unless you think that the Bills offensive brain trust that has been together for several years including last season with this team had an epiphany at some point during this off season and devised some game changing plays.

I have no hope or expectations left. I just continue to watch because it is what I have done for the past 50 years. When the Bills win a game, I am happy. When they lose, I am numb. All the losing has made me absolutely not care anymore when it happens. I just move on and wait for next week.

This pretty much is where I'm coming from. Unlike you I only have 40+ years of watching this team but like you I don't care anymore if they lose. Why make yourself depressed over something you have no control over? I'll be watching every Sunday, cheer when they win and won't lose any sleep when they don't.

Hope is a word used to view the future. The OP asked why he should have hope and many answered because it's pre season. My question is why should I be excited about the season?

I should be hopeful because we haven't lost yet? No. Seattle's fans should be hopeful. Denver's fans should be hopeful. Bills fans have no reason to expect anything. We look exactly like the Bills.

I fully bought into the hype this offseason. That doesn't mean much because I bought into Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick when they had us off to 5-1 starts, so I guess I'm easily convinced. For the record, if we somehow jumped out to a 5-1 start again, I will buy in all over again. Who am I kidding? A 1-0 start would put me over the top right now.

I believed our O-Line would be a huge improvement over last year, but it looks worse than ever (blown assignments, no holes for running backs and penalties galore). I think that our O-Line play has been the number one issue this pre-season and am hoping they can get their act together and fast. In theory, Marrone should be the perfect coach to get this o-line on track, but I haven't seen any real improvement yet. EJ is struggling behind this line, but he hasn't shown much even when he does have time to make a play. I'd like to see him play with a little more fire in his belly - he seems way too content with his play so far.

I am impressed by how quickly our run defence has improved under Schwartz and believe we have an elite defence if only the offence could control the clock and gain some field position on each position.

Why can't we have good coaching on both sides of the ball? Under Jauron, Fewell did a great job with the defence while the offence sputtered. Then Gailey comes in, getting amazing production out of a bunch of no-name offensive players, but Wanny was brutal. Now it looks like strong D and lousy O again.

Thank God this pre-season is over. These meaningless games are affecting me more than they should.

GO BILLS!