Jordan Palmer vs. Josh Freeman

What happened to Josh Freeman such that a guy who QBed a winning team as a starter is not getting the same opportunities as a guy who last through a pass in an NFL game years ago?

Not saying Freeman is a world beater, but it seems like resurrecting skills might be easier than finding skills where no one ever found them before.

What happened to Josh Freeman such that a guy who QBed a winning team as a starter is not getting the same opportunities as a guy who last through a pass in an NFL game years ago?

Not saying Freeman is a world beater, but it seems like resurrecting skills might be easier than finding skills where no one ever found them before.

completely agree....but then again, he wasn't with the Bears this summer and doesn't coach young QB's.... Edited by Kipers Hair

completely agree....but then again, he wasn't with the Bears this summer and doesn't coach young QB's....

This. Freeman would have been brought in if they wanted someone who could potentially replace EJ. What they want is someone who knows their week 1 opponent's playbook and has excelled in a mentor role. Palmer is the perfect choice for what they needed. A very savvy pickup by Whaley/Marrone.

I am surprised Josh isn't getting more chances considering the success he did in enjoy and his young age (26). That said he isn't what the Bills were looking for. They wanted a veteran influence who could help coach EJ up- and from some of the reports about Freeman's locker room troubles he isn't that guy.

Freeman would have been a better fit for a place with an established starter and no good backup option. Cowboys? Saints? both of those kinda make sense to me.

My guess is there is something wrong with him real or imagined that we are not privy to- could be attitude, a medical condition, drugs, life style, asking too much money, I don't know but I would think his age/talent/experience would have him on a roster if there wasn't something.

I think the time for Freeman has passed w/r/t the Bills. If they wanted to bring in someone to compete with EJ it should have been done earlier in camp. Vick, S Hill, McCowan, trade for Cousins, Freeman would have all been viable options in July, but right now, the Bills FO made their bed and need to do their best to maximize EJ's performance.

To that point, Jordan Palmer is a decent option, a calm, knowledgeable voice in the QB room to help EJ develop.

It sucks, we are in this situation with the most important position, but, as they say, you deal with the cards you've been dealt.

If we had Cousins, we would probably be starting him. Not that I would mind. The redskins would never have let him go though. No chance.

Did anyone clamoring for Cousins actually watch him play last year? He was awful. He may be a competent back up, but no more at this point and probably ever. That said, the Redskins are not going to trade him - they have nothing behind him - nor are they going to start him over RGIII like their fans are lobbing for now since RGIII has been worse than terrible all preseason.

As for Josh Freeman, don't you think there are reasons why no one wants this guy? Did anyone see him play in MN last year?

Edited by MDFan

If we had Cousins, we would probably be starting him. Not that I would mind. The redskins would never have let him go though. No chance.

Rumor was that they were shopping him in offseason, one specific rumor was Skins turning down a 4th from Cleveland and saying they'd have done it for a 2nd -- translation, you could have been had for a 3rd maybe.

Again, this FO is all in on EJ, so it wasn't in the cards -- the veteran route was more likely

The way they brought in Flynn and dropped him last year and the way they were so eager to go with Tuel week one says they believe their play book is too complicated for a veteran to learn in a few weeks. I would be surprised given the reports of Freemans work ethic(I am not claiming they are true) that they believe he could pick it up.

Did anyone clamoring for Cousins actually watch him play last year? He was awful. He may be a competent back up, but no more at this point and probably ever. That said, the Redskins are not going to trade him - they have nothing behind him - nor are they going to start him over RGIII like their fans are lobbing for now since RGIII has been worse than terrible all preseason.

As for Josh Freeman, don't you think there are reasons why no one wants this guy? Did anyone see him play in MN last year?

So you know, I'm not clamoring for Cousins, I think it would have been a better strategy to bring in legit competition for EJ either a younger vet (Cousins), decent vet (Vick) or rookie (mid-round pick) -- versus having 4 very inexperienced QB's in camp with only one with decent upside Edited by TXBILLSFAN

One thought is. for the past 14+ years OBD has given the impression that they do not need to follow what successful NFL teams do to get in the play offs year after year, after year. The guys at OBD somewhat regard themselves as the smarter guys in the room.

What we see year after year is that theory is proven wrong. the handling of the QB situation for years has been a head scratcher. Whaley's approach is no different.

But lets give him 5 more years to get his footing. And, the meantime get chastised by marginal talent for booing their laughable on field performances.

The Bills FO were very interested in Freeman last year whenEJ was injured and pursued him strongly ( I believe the Bills were one of the final 2 in the running for his services) . He chose Minnesota , blowing off the Bills situation and proceeded to lay an egg while there. I'm not surprised the Bills interest ended at that point. If he had chosen Buffalo, we might be in the midst of a genuine competition for the starting QB spot. Freeman made that choice/ miscalculation , not the Bills FO.

The Bills FO were very interested in Freeman last year whenEJ was injured and pursued him strongly ( I believe the Bills were one of the final 2 in the running for his services) . He chose Minnesota , blowing off the Bills situation and proceeded to lay an egg while there. I'm not surprised the Bills interest ended at that point. If he had chosen Buffalo, we might be in the midst of a genuine competition for the starting QB spot. Freeman made that choice/ miscalculation , not the Bills FO.

There are reasons he imploded, his teammates seemed to turn on him, and there are reasons no one even touched him this year. I have no clue what they are but would bet they are substantial and reason enough not to pursue him.

I would hope the bills brass dont think with their hearts when it comes to players........I would rather have Josh Freeman as a backup to any other option out there right now......

My real question right now is.......Christian Ponder...a former 1st round pick is running 3rd QB for a team right now......THAT is the guy I want