Turmoil brewing between Marrone and Whaley?

Since nobody is reporting the actual conversation, everything is speculation.

Is it a good sign to have the GM and HC arguing in public? Probably not

Do animated conversations, and even arguments, occur in healthy organizations? Of course they do.

Was the argument likely about EJ? I don't think that's likely, as Whaley is high on EJ as demonstrated by his inaction on getting any real competition for him.

Winning cures most ills, but losing exacerbates them. I can see a scenario, if the Bills have a particularly poor start to the season, where changes might be made. But you can say that about half the teams in the NFL.

Anything to see here? Maybe, but at the moment, not much.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are all going to be unemployed in 3 months.

Brandon, Whaley, Marrone. I've been saying this all along and nobody cares. Trading two 1st round draft picks for a WR is easier when you know you're out on the street in less than a year. The future owner and GM and others will have to clean up this mess!

The conversation doesnt matter. None of this matters, really. Long preseason.

We will see what happens when it does matter. At one time I was thrilled for this season, but a number of things have me kind of expecting the worst, most of which admittedly is just the habit of getting beat down for so long by this team. There really have been a lot of warning signs throughout the preseason, but really they dont matter. I remember feeling like they were going to go like 2-14/dead in the water and they came out on the road and absolutely throttled Kansas City on opening day. Well, it ended up in last place, but for a period of time they far exceeded my expectations.

I know Im outspoken against current leadership, but I am still firmly in wait and see mode. Im talking in terms of no progress or a step back. Its yet to be determined. Im not even necessarily playoffs or bust. I think Id be thrilled with 8-8.

This conversation with Marrone/mgt doesnt matter. Tampa game doesnt matter. Tonight doesnt matter (barring injury(s)). Regular season games, yes.

Edited by May Day 10

90% of everything attributed to Godwin's law doesn't count as Godwin's law.

Yeah, but does this? I'm not saying it counts, I'm asking if it counts.

http://mobile.bloomb...orbes-list.html

I guess that it is 22 if my math is right (I did say like 20). We are not talking about expenses, strictly revenue generated. They are also projected this year to be between $270-$280M with the stadium improvements. That will put them in the middle of the pack. You can continue to hate but do you believe that the Buffalo Bills playing in RWS should be in the middle of the pack in terms of revenue?

EDIT: If you use $275 (probably a low end estimate because their ST base ended higher than anticipated) they would be 14th in revenue if everyone else remains flat. Obviously SF will rise with their new stadium as will others but you get the point.

No need to call me a hater, I'm trying to have a calm and civil discussion and get to the bottom of why you and so many others are so impressed with Brandon.

Your data (that you linked) is a year old, so they were 22nd in the 8/2013 Forbes which would be based on 2012 season and now are 29th in the 8/2014 Forbes which is based on the 2013 season. So, I think my conclusion is still valid, they ranked 29th last year and would have ranked 32nd without selling that one game to Toronto. Again, keeping the discussion to Revenue only, that's not too impressive from my point of view.

If they indeed go up to the middle of the pack, without having to sell a home game, I think that would be an accomplishment.

Hey I came here to talk about two dudes having a heated disagreement. Two other dudes.

I don't believe EJ was Buddy's pick. At all. It was pretty clear during HC interviews in late 2012/early 2013 that Nix was being pushed aside and the transition had began given Nix's comments about Marrone. No way would any pro organization allow the outgoing GM to pick the player who would most affect the future GM's performance.

exactly

Brandon, Whaley, Marrone. I've been saying this all along and nobody cares. Trading two 1st round draft picks for a WR is easier when you know you're out on the street in less than a year. The future owner and GM and others will have to clean up this mess!

Did we lose 2 first round draft picks for Watkins? I know next year the Browns will get our first pick, but when will they get the next one?

We traded:

2014 1st

2015 1st

2015 4th

So, the 2014 1st was already selected in May's draft

Thanks for the reply. Did our first rounder pick disappear? Oh yes, that discussion again.

For me its very simple. We traded 1 First round pick for another First round pick which = 0.

The Browns got 1 first rounder and a 4th - NOT 2 FIRST ROUNDERS!

Edited by PO'14

Thanks for the reply. Did our first rounder pick disappear? Oh yes, that discussion again.

For me its very simple. We traded 1 First round pick for another First round pick which = 0.

The Browns got 1 first rounder and a 4th - NOT 2 FIRST ROUNDERS!

I see your logic, but, the NFL wouldn't characterize it that way, they would say Buffalo traded their 1st in 2014, their 1st and 4th in 2015 for Cleveland's 1st in 2014. So, in essence, it's a net loss of one 1st round pick and one 4th round pick --

But, as ScottLaw points out, still a crappy trade

I see your logic, but, the NFL wouldn't characterize it that way, they would say Buffalo traded their 1st in 2014, their 1st and 4th in 2015 for Cleveland's 1st in 2014. So, in essence, it's a net loss of one 1st round pick and one 4th round pick --

But, as ScottLaw points out, still a crappy trade

Only QB position draftee can change a team that was 6-10. No other position does that. I liked the trade. I thought he was the most NFL ready player out there.

Stupid Injuries have killed bills forever and this year is no exception.

Nobody can quantify the Watkins trade at this point. You can agree or disagree that the team should or shouldn't have made the trade. But we are a couple years away from knowing whether it was a good deal or not.

GO BILLS!!!

Nobody can quantify the Watkins trade at this point. You can agree or disagree that the team should or shouldn't have made the trade. But we are a couple years away from knowing whether it was a good deal or not.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree, but, historically speaking, trading that much for a WR is not a good idea and that trade was based as much on Sammy as it was on confidence in EJ, and right now, while Sammy looks good, EJ sure as hell doesn't.

Time will tell, but it doesn't look good (unfortunately).

Again, I politely ask you to go back and read all of my other responses...of course we can throw conjecture as to what was "really" happening, but my point is simply that anything other than accepting Buddy's words at face-value is simply that: speculative. So, we can choose to believe or not believe Buddy's statements or think that he was indicative "levels" of truth to these statements and responsibility for the picks or just take his statements as he said them. Up to you individually to believe or not believe what he had to say or how much of it is accurate, I'm merely stating that many on this board want to attribute DW with the guy who Drafted EJ, when factually speaking we have nothing to support that statement or assumption. Factually speaking, Buddy went on record as the GM before, during, and after the Draft that a QB was going to be taken in the Draft and afterwards Buddy spoke at length about why EJ was the guy taken....so, draw whatever conclusions you like, but that's what they are supposition and guesses, facts are Buddy publicly stated EJ was his selection.

Buff,

I agree that's what Buddy said. If Whaley was completely against the EJ pick it wouldn't have happened. Everyone in the FO knew Buddy was stepping down. Buddy was the GM at the time, he is supposed to be the face of the organization. I would expect nothing less than him owning the choices coming off the board.

Either way, this is the team we have. I will support them all the way to an early tee time.

Edited by DirtDart

I've lost a lot of confidence in Whaley after that Cyrus Kouandjio 2nd round pick. I don't care if every scout on the staff liked that pick, it was Whaley who had to sign on off on it. That is a monumental swing and a miss with a high 2nd pick. That kid may never play in an NFL game. He's just not good.

A lot of here made another point well before the draft. They should have drafted another QB in the middle rounds to groom (Mettenberger, Murray, etc..). I don't know why on earth they are so stubborn about this? You continue to draft QB's until you find one that can play at a high level. Why is this so hard for the Bills management to grasp?

As for Marrone, i have high hoped for the guy but c'mon. Even i said after the Pittsburgh game to shut Sammy down until Sept. 7th. There was nothing to gain by playing him last night. Just dumb.