Pats trade G Logan Mankins

FluffHead

Hernandez and Gronk don't seem overly bright, but they picked up that offense pretty well.

That's two players out of how many? And they had full off-seasons, not a week and a half before the season starts.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, we watched 2 different games. Their OGs were getting destroyed in both the run and pass game, and that was without Kyle Williams (and with Mario in full-on pre-season mode--he looks like he just doesn't care in these games).

As said before, they still put up 17 points. It wasn't pretty, but they got the plays in that counted.

That's two players out of how many? And they had full off-seasons, not a week and a half before the season starts.

Out of how many? I don't know--we are talking about a single TE here. And I compared him to 2 guy not very bright guys who seemed to pick it up quickly. I'm sure the pats coaching staff isn't worried about his ability to catch up. Why would it matter anyway? What's the point of bringing it up?

Looks like a decent move for both sides. Lovie is in this to win now, and Mankins probably has two years left in him. i wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs also sign Incognito. He has a couple of years left in him as well, and the Bucs need serious help at the line.

For the Pats, I've watched Wright, and he is a decent TE that should flourish under Brady and BB. Belicheck says he's happy with his young lineman, but we'll see how well they replace Mankins.

The last point is the Bucs have $14 million under the cap so they can easily make these moves. I love my Bills, but i also am a big Bucs fan. I love what Lovie's doing. I'm hopeful we could be the surprise in the NFC South. nobody ever wins the NFC South back to back years. Carolina took a step back, the Falcons still look sloppy, so can the Bucs compete with NO. We'll see.

Out of how many? I don't know--we are talking about a single TE here. And I compared him to 2 guy not very bright guys who seemed to pick it up quickly. I'm sure the pats coaching staff isn't worried about his ability to catch up. Why would it matter anyway? What's the point of bringing it up?

What was the point of you even bothering to post if you "don't know"?

Frees up money to pay the skill players. Would love to see a long term deal for Revis.

What kind of contract do you think they'd offer him/he'd accept?

Not a bad trade from either side. Curious why NE decided to move Mankins though. I can't believe it was strictly salary.

There is quite a bit of money left on his contract and they believe he can be effectively replaced by younger, less expensive players on their roster. Mankins is at the age where players often begin to decline. The Patriots have a history of letting vets go when they feel they are in decline. Not a shocker.

None of us are enough of a scout to assess how badly Mankins was dropping off last year but, objectively, Mankins allowed 11 sacks in 2014 (with 9 of them coming from Week 9 on). This number represents 28% of the 40 sack total relinquished by the OL. League wide, only Brian Winters allowed more.

One of the things going for Wright in terms of learning the Pats offense is he doesn’t have to learn a whole new system. He’s been schooled and played in the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system the Pats run. Wright should already be broadly familiar with what is expected of him except perhaps the specific terminology that the Pats use which may be different.

Re: Wright. Some factoids that I have found which are interesting:

On just 74 targets he caught 54 balls for 571 yards and five TD’s.

This means Tim Wright had the 12th most receiving yards and 12th most TD's for a rookie TE since 1970

And according to http://www.pro-football-reference.c...pos_is_db=Y&draft_pos_is_k=Y&draft_pos_is_p=Y

t-5th all-time in most receptions by a rookie TE

t-12th all-time in most receiving yards by a rookie TE

t-9th all-time in TDs by a rookie TE

And now he has Brady tossing him the rock.

his play has slipped dramatically in the last year and a half, they wanted him to take a pay cut he balked so they traded him

I love how Schoop puts an off the mark spin on it ...See this is what GOOD teams do trade a guy at the top of his game, not afraid to take a chance....- WHAT

Edited by CardinalScotts

his play has slipped dramatically in the last year and a half, they wanted him to take a pay cut he balked so they traded him

I love how Schoop puts an off the mark spin on it ...See this is what GOOD teams do trade a guy at the top of his game, not afraid to take a chance....- WHAT

Perhaps what he meant to say was that well run teams recognize when their expensive players are declining and then trade them, for some draft pick compensation, before it's too late.

I'm a little confused. How exactly is a 6'4" 220 pound college wide receiver, who never lines up as a TE, and never really blocks, but always lines up in the slot or in motion like a WR, not a WR?

The Patriots traded for a WR not a TE even if they are going to call him a TE and put him in the position that Hernandez played.

I'm a little confused. How exactly is a 6'4" 220 pound college wide receiver, who never lines up as a TE, and never really blocks, but always lines up in the slot or in motion like a WR, not a WR?

The Patriots traded for a WR not a TE even if they are going to call him a TE and put him in the position that Hernandez played.

Analytics.

Apparently Tommy Boy ain't too pleased about this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/28/report-tom-brady-was-very-upset-with-logan-mankins-deal/

Think along the lines of the Jimmy "I am a WR not a TE" Graham situation that is en vogue in the league these days.

Think along the lines of the Jimmy "I am a WR not a TE" Graham situation that is en vogue in the league these days.

Except he's 6'7" 265. You know, tight end size. And he always played tight end. Even in his brief Miami career.

In some ways, of course, you're right as he always splits out. But at Graham's size and speed, he becomes a nightmare matchup. Wright is just a big WR that most teams have a guy that size playing WR.

It's like lining up Ramses Barden in the slot and calling him a TE.